Ignoring Subfolders

cjnp92

cjnp92

Hey, thanks for making such a great product, its working well with the exception that placing a file named .ignore into the subfolders I don't want to be scanned doesn't seem to be working on my mac. Is this the standard way of ignoring subfolders on OS X? 

Thanks for your help!

it should work but it's such an old convention of ours that it probably hasn't been tested in a while. another thing you can do is mark the folder hidden.

• 3 years later...
mojopagoda

Hi... MacOS really makes it hard to make ".ignore" folders as "dot" files are system reserved - at least without resorting to command line shenanigans.  Also, it's quite hard to make a file or folder hidden.  I would like to be able to drop an .ignore file into a folder rather than make it hidden as it would be the more easily repeatable step.  There are actually a few situations where you might want to be able to easily exclude a folder from the emby server scans without having to re-configure your folder structure.  

Happy2Play

Really old topic.

You can drop .ignore file in folder to be ignored.  And there are improvement in the next release 3.6 to ignore these system folders.

mojopagoda

Hi... sorry for referring to a "really old topic" but actually you cannot easily MAKE a ".ignore" file.. Easy to drop one in, if you have one, but you can't make one in MacOS.  Other operating systems maybe.  If i am missing something then that's because I am not a programmer just a user.  I am not trying to ignore system folders, I am trying to ignore a folder that I use to queue subtitle searching using FlixTools so that I don't get maxed out on my opensubtitles account allowance.

hstamas

Ive successfully created .ignore files in OSX 10.13 (High Sierra) that works in preventing Emby from scanning the folder. Just use COMMAND-SHIFT-Period to show hidden files and have at it. I use TextWrangler to create the .ignore file and make sure I save it in the most basic format possible.

See my screenshot.

post-45887-0-59349200-1546962822_thumb.png