Problem with videos with subtitle

optimalt

optimalt

On all clients I use (android app, chromecast and web on computer and android), I get no picture or sound when I try to play a transcoded video with subtitles. Also the ffmpeg process won't shut down until I either a) restart the Emby server after playing a video with subtitles or B) shut down the Emby server and kill the ffmpeg processes manually in windows task manager. This happens on both the latest stable version and the latest dev-version (3.0.5686.125) of the Emby server for windows.

Logs attached (from v.3.0.5686.125).

All help appreciated!

logs.zip

i'm not sure at the moment. there's a bunch of debug messages from ffmpeg i've not seen before. anytime we have to burn in subtitles it's going to cause more stress for your cpu, although it should work.

• 2 weeks later...
shorty1483

@@Luke perhaps it's helpful, the case is on Chromecast and Web but the Subtitle entries in the log of @@optimalt are the same than in mine,

Sometimes I have the same behaviour (This time when my wife wanted to watch the First time over Emby :D, what a good start :P).  In attached Fileinfo, we are talking about Subtitle #5 and #6. Due that Subtitle #7 (also PGS) does not throw out error, it seems Emby and FFMpeg show this behaviour when resolution of of subtitles cannot be determined. The problem is that after a failure run, the ffmpeg instance does also not seem to shutdown properly.

It's it's related to this post: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/22235-chromecast-not-playing/page-3&do=findComment&comment=232554

I attached logs for playing the same movies with Subtitles on (auto use forced), and then with als Subs off. The ffmpeg output "Consider increasing the value for the 'analyzeduration' and 'probesize' options"

seems to be known in ffmpeg forums. This is what I found:

my solution was ffmpeg -analyzeduration 2147483647 -probesize 2147483647 -i. 2147483647 is max_int

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/2208

When I turned Plex on as last resort not too sleep on the couch :D it played the file fine. Perhaps an option inside Emby Code to ignore such Subtitles? Or is this a problem only related to ffmpeg without any options for Team Emby?

Edit: Same behaviour when playing over web or Android App, when live switching to one of the Subs above, Video freezes, but ffmpeg runs and runs and creates ts files. Only solution is to restart server.

Server - Exception Subs ON.txt

Transcode - Exception Subs ON.txt

Transcode II - Exception Subs ON.txt

Transcode - File plays Subs OFF.txt

FileInfo.txt

Edited by shorty1483

• 2 weeks later...
shorty1483

Anything new about it? None of my mkv with pgs subs straight outta Bluray works, not in Web, Android, Samsung. Server begins to transcode but the players mentioned load and load and load...

Gesendet von meinem HTC One_M8 mit Tapatalk

Edited by shorty1483

• 4 weeks later...
shorty1483

Issue still persistent on latest server versions with internal subtitles, specially PGS. On Android with VLC engine, the problems gone due to direct play/streaming. But e.g. Webclient  or Chromecast (where my mkv's transcode anyway), the video does not even start when a subtitle is chosen.

On every start with Subs enabled, a new mutliple ffmpeg instances are opened until Emby becomes unresponsive and needs to be restartet. But no video starts in one of the mentioned players. I added a server log for an example file (as it happens with most of my files), a transcode log is without Sub enabled (-> transcodes and plays fine), the other ones are the case where ffmpeg does nothing after file check.

server-63577644412.txt

transcode-b58fd605-5c17-4fe2-b542-9599f8466125.txt

transcode-bf9f6b30-1bcd-4e2b-8e3b-5755c7f4f637.txt

transcode-d4b970bd-ea32-4284-b77b-6e8c4e07f9a8.txt

transcode-311fdfa3-49b0-4ea8-9997-df591cc5c10f.txt

post-59764-0-84879900-1442155855_thumb.png

Edited by shorty1483

I'm having the exact same problem. Trying to view a movie through the webplayer with subs disabled works just fine however enabling subs results in no video and emby eventually hanging and it seems to only be files where the subtitles are internal as mentioned.

Edited by Waseh

• 1 month later...

i'm not aware of any problems on the current beta. there have been enough changes that we basically need to start over. the previous info presented in this thread isn't going to be useful anymore.

I still experience this problem in Version 3.0.5768.7.
File plays fine without subtitles but hangs when subtitles are enabled.
What kind of logs would be helpful to provide?

In my experience when we have to burn in embedded subs to a transcoded stream it can take a really long time to start up.  I'm talking minutes in some cases.  This would certainly look like we hung but I suspect that may be what is going on here.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply ebr
The thing i dont understand is that i have a file which plays fine without subtitles as well as when i play the file with external subtiles it works fine and with no delay. Only the internal subtitles contained in the mkv gives problems.
Is it only internal subtitles that are burned in? it was my understanding that when playing through the webplayer everything gets transcoded/burned in. Or are internal subtitles more demanding perhaps?

Edited by Waseh

Thanks for the reply ebr

The thing i dont understand is that i have a file which plays fine without subtitles as well as when i play the file with external subtiles it works fine and with no delay. Only the internal subtitles contained in the mkv gives problems.

Is it only internal subtitles that are burned in? it was my understanding that when playing through the webplayer everything gets transcoded/burned in. Or are internal subtitles more demanding perhaps?

As far as whether internal subtitles are more demanding, the answer is sometimes, yes, other times not at all. Please see post #11 and we can give you a more exact answer :)

• 3 weeks later...
shorty1483

In my experience when we have to burn in embedded subs to a transcoded stream it can take a really long time to start up. I'm talking minutes in some cases. This would certainly look like we hung but I suspect that may be what is going on here.

Man I always thought subs don't work at all on my webclient but you're right it just takes up to 5 mins.

So thanks for that hint.

But the question is how to lower the time.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One M8 mit Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
shorty1483

In my experience when we have to burn in embedded subs to a transcoded stream it can take a really long time to start up.  I'm talking minutes in some cases.  This would certainly look like we hung but I suspect that may be what is going on here.

@@Luke is there any solution to speed up that process? I'm experiencing exactly what @@ebr describes on Web Client and Chromecast. All my subs are inside the mkv's.

Edited by shorty1483

for the most part now we have gone back to extracting and caching the result, which only happens once but sometimes can also be a slow process the first time. that's just how long it takes but we do cache the result. if you want to maximize efficiency you can use the open subtitle feature to obtain more external subtitles.

• Like 1

shorty1483

for the most part now we have gone back to extracting and caching the result, which only happens once but sometimes can also be a slow process the first time. that's just how long it takes but we do cache the result. if you want to maximize efficiency you can use the open subtitle feature to obtain more external subtitles.

Are they supporting just forced subs? And since I am no subtitle tech guy :D permit me one question: Why there is a difference between internal and external subs?

because we can send an external text file straight down to client apps without really having to do any work

• Like 1

shorty1483

because we can send an external text file straight down to client apps without really having to do any work

Thanks so much m8. Tested with one file and it definitely works as expected...Now I need a good Batch Sub Extracting Tool :D Do I also need to remove the subs inside the mkv's or are the external subs preferred by Emby?

Edit: Just tried and the most internal forced subs are also flagged as default. Is a setting possible to prefer external over internal subs or a switch to ignore internal subs if external is present? I found an older thread but name an external sub .force.default does not work and remux around 2/3 of my collection would be a pain in the a$$...

Edited by shorty1483

• 1 month later...
Sp3kt3r

Im having the same issue, when I click play from my phone to send video to either xbox one or chromecast.. i get a black screen and it timeout.. nothing play

if I change my setting for subtitle to none, everything works fine.

if I understand I would have to extract the subtitle from the mkv and keep it external ?

this would be a long process.. anybody know a good sub extractor ?

Im having the same issue, when I click play from my phone to send video to either xbox one or chromecast.. i get a black screen and it timeout.. nothing play

if I change my setting for subtitle to none, everything works fine.

if I understand I would have to extract the subtitle from the mkv and keep it external ?

this would be a long process.. anybody know a good sub extractor ?

To answer why, please see here

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

Thanks.