Web Client Buffering Video

mriksman

mriksman

Hi,

I work in a remote location with TERRIBLE connection speeds.

I use to watch AFL on the WatchAFL website, but they no longer buffer. You know - when you watch a YouTube video, and you press pause, and you can see the light grey bar move ahead indicating that part of the video has been downloaded/buffered? Now when I hit Pause, wait for 5 minutes, and hit Play - nothing has been downloaded in advance. This buffering allowed me to press pause, and wait an hour for it to 'download' so I could watch it stutter free.

So, I downloaded the mp4 video files on my home computer, and added them to Emby. But Emby doesn't buffer either??

I would love to be able to select a resolution of my choosing, and then hit pause and allow Emby to buffer in my web client so I can watch the game (or movie/show) stutter free.

Any ideas?

The whole industry is moving towards HLS and other segmented formats which offer just in time delivery. That is why sites that used to buffer no longer do. The best thing to do is choose a bitrate that is suitable for your connection. Or you can use the sync and download features to download the content for local playback on the device.

• 1 month later...

I have had this same issue for a while now too. The most recent version I have that allows playback without stuttering is 3.0.5641.1. After testing out 3.0.5713.6 the issue still persists but it seems to be isolated to the Chrome browser (desktop) which happens to be the most optimized for emby.

I am not sure what changed since 3.0.5641.1 but I can easily recreate the issue switching between the two server versions and testing playback on Chrome.

Edit: The issue seems to be more similar to this topic but not sure if related:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/23350-playback-stuttering-with-3056676

Edited by Guy

• 5 weeks later...
trusselo

I am visiting with my father in northern ontario. He has the worst internet that an ISP will sell.

He is on a "5 Mbit" connection that connects at an AVERAGE of 3.5 Mbit, it is a dry loop DSL line. 3.4 km loop from the port. high attenuation and lots of cross-talk and power spikes. any worse of line condition, and they would refuse to sell to him. its this or nothing.

He has a local server which plays fine, but trying to stream from my server in alberta...  having issues getting consistant playback. app.emby.media  and windows app

stopping and stuttering constantly.  Lowering the bitrate actually does not lower the load on the network.

Using chrome app.emby

Using Windows Task Manager and resource monitor, it seems that trying 720p 1Mb, 750kb, 420kb, 320p  all seem to pull around 1.3 - 1.7Mbit usage on the network. no change. just bounces between 1.3 and 1.7 no matter the setting. 240p seems to pull 2.0 - 3.0Mbit.

Using windows app

everything local plays due to the loopback hack

everything remote tries to play direct (non-transcoding) even though the dsl cannot support it

Do I need the logs from my server in alberta for the chrome streaming issue? or something local?  / same questions for windows app (yeah ill create a proper thread for that separately when i have the logs)

I can RDP into my home server. its only at 20% CPU and 64% Mem

on that note btw transcoding to anroidTV app to my mothers new TV is 99%ish CPU usually

would be nice to have a way to activate an old optional non-hls mode..

Edited by trusselo

trusselo

ok what log do you need? server log? 

btw, when changing bitrate, it does stop and re-start, and does appear to loose or gain visual quality.

Edited by trusselo

trusselo

heres 2 from my dads house where i suspect his internet is the issue, and three from my moms android tv that is hogging cpu, direct play should be available and upload speed should too.

chrome app crap dsl trusselo.txt

androidtv bravia 3 trusselo.txt

androidtv bravia 2 trusselo.txt

androidtv bravia trusselo.txt

chrome app crap dsl 2 trusselo.txt

server log trusselo.txt

Edited by trusselo

trusselo

added server log above

during watching san Andreas, quality was changed several times  to attempt to fix lag

Edited by trusselo

direct play should be available and upload speed should too.

Direct streaming is going to be subject to the available bitrate and this is now adjusted automatically in the ATV app.

So, if the video item is encoded at 8Mb and we determine there is only 4Mb of bandwidth available, then the item will transcode in order to lower that bitrate to what will play properly.

It looks like your transcode settings on the server are probably "balls to the wall" too which is why the CPU is saturated by the transcoding but you'll need to confirm what you have for settings here.  You may want to try enabling throttling.

trusselo

Direct streaming is going to be subject to the available bitrate and this is now adjusted automatically in the ATV app.

So, if the video item is encoded at 8Mb and we determine there is only 4Mb of bandwidth available, then the item will transcode in order to lower that bitrate to what will play properly.

It looks like your transcode settings on the server are probably "balls to the wall" too which is why the CPU is saturated by the transcoding but you'll need to confirm what you have for settings here.  You may want to try enabling throttling.

the ATV app does this as of when?... because it was not doing that saturday at my mothers house 4 hours from here. the tv was purchased thursday.

she has 60Mbit download, my server has 15Mbit upload.  Movies are 2-4 GB in total size.  should be good there.

my server is set to use 5 of 6 cores for trascoding (which shouldnt be happening due to sufficient bandwidth for direct play)

back to the chrome/father issue : is it possible to sync from one server to another? or server to web client?  or server to windows app?

where would this sync'd content save?  small C drives (SSD)

side note. really impressed with the quality of the transcoding! looks great even at 240p.  but still noticably worse than higher settings.

the bravia 3 log is the best example of ATV usage from my mother.

Edited by trusselo

the ATV app does this as of when?... because it was not doing that saturday at my mothers house 4 hours from here. the tv was purchased thursday.

she has 60Mbit download, my server has 15Mbit upload.  Movies are 2-4 GB in total size.  should be good there.

my server is set to use 5 of 6 cores for trascoding (which shouldnt be happening due to sufficient bandwidth for direct play)

Since the latest public version.  There are still options you can set but the default is "Auto" which is what should be used unless you can determine that it isn't working properly.  You can try changing this setting but realize that actual available bandwidth between your Mom's and your server could vary at any given time.

Looking at that log, the app requested a bitrate of 4.6Mb.  That is probably under what the video is and why it transcoded.

Also, looking at that log, I see that it was keeping up okay in the beginning but got progressively slower unitl it started dropping below normal frame rates (30fps).  I imagine there were playback problems with that session.

trusselo

yup. thats why im here....  giving logs.

as stated my mothers download speed is 60mb my upload is 15mb... 4.6 makes no scense

everything works fine for me, but not for either of my parents when streaming from my server.

Im only in ontario for 2 more days to troubleshoot.  then im flying 4000 km away.

If you dont want to help, say so.   I have yet to try plex

Edited by trusselo

We are trying to help and I gave you something to try.

Did you try changing the bitrate setting on your Mom's machine?

@trusselo 

Do you think the symptoms are similar as reported here? I have been experiencing exactly what you described in that changing the bitrate does nothing because it seems the client is still trying to pull in a higher bitrate. I encountered this issue on a "3.0mbps" connection which actually varies from 1.0mbps to 2.0mbps. Since the developers are most likely not testing playback externally using low bandwidth connections I think they wont encounter this issue. On the second page of that thread I posted a modification to be used with the Chrome browser which worked for me but nobody has tried it yet to verify if it even works for them. I doubt this would help the playback for other apps though.

Edited by Guy

trusselo

We are trying to help and I gave you something to try.

Did you try changing the bitrate setting on your Mom's machine?

my mothers "machine" is only an android TV.  

I played with the few settings that are available in the app to no better result.

I tried before i typed a word here.

That was last week.  I am not there. that is 4 hours away.  I am more concerned with the chrome issue that affects my father, here.

But I fly 4000 km away in 6 hours.  so...  both cases are pointless at this point.

sorry im just frustrated with how emby works flawlessly for myself at home, and on my mobile connections.  

but I try to set up my parents, and it seems nothing works.

its very aggravating, and im pressed for time.

Edited by trusselo