android client ffmpeg transcoding and chapter support

rostar99
Go to solution Solved by rostar99,

rostar99

Red,

I am contemplating converting a high quality compressed mkv copy of all my HDD rips and isos (bluray and dvd) to separate library just for my families android clients with chapters.  I tested out a bluray mkv already with chapters and the web client is a go but not the android.  Will there be chapter support for android?  Also is there a way to stream direct to android client (no transcode) if I send a compressed file made for the android phone (ie lower bitrate)? Ffmpeg seems to be using quite a bit of cpu per stream (up to 90%) on my win 7 64v i5 2500K  8GB HTPC acting as server.

Thanks

Edited by rostar99

Redshirt

The Android platform favors mp4 (H264/AAC) or mkv (VPX/VORBIS). If your media is either format and the source bitrate is lower than the max bitrate in your Android client settings then there will be no transcoding, the media would be direct streamed. As for chapter support.. If your referring to providing a UI where the user can select which chapter to start playback from. Then yes there will be chapter support. 

rostar99

Thanks for the quick response.  So If I convert all my rips to to MKV with lower than lets say 6 mps bitrate and the client is set to 6 mps I get direct streaming?  Yes I mean selecting chapters (like scenes in web player) in the UI.  Your awesome Red. :)   Now all I have to do is handbrake all my rips. :(

Thanks again for all your efforts

Edited by rostar99

• Solution
rostar99

Thanks again I will experiment with both formats to see what tradeoff between quality and file size as all movies will be copied in another folder for android. :)