Lost Internal Codec Support

hansolo77
Go to solution Solved by CBers,

hansolo77

I just upgraded my WHS v1 to WHS 2011 and installed Emby Server to that machine.  After a couple days of DrivePool-ing and letting Emby find all my content, I was ready to start watching some TV.  I tried to load up the interface in Media Center, but the icon/strip was gone, and was replaced by a Windows Home Server Recorded TV backup.  I had to re-install the Media Center client to get it back.  When I go to watch a show, the first one seemed to play ok.  It was a simple avi (divx/xvid) containter and I could fast forward, etc.  Then I tried a different show that was a more complex mkv container.  That show is in 720p with DTS sound.  It started up with a "Streaming" alert, then started playing in regular stereo on my receiver.  I also couldn't control fast forward/skip.  Some how, my system's setup no  longer provides me with direct playback support over the network.  It is "transcoding" my stuff to a format that I don't want to use.  I WANT the hi-def audio and better picture I had before.  I don't want to be limited by streaming functionality.  Any ideas?  Do I need to install an updated codec pack?  Maybe install them on the server too?

hansolo77

It didn't help.  I completely uninstalled all my codecs then installed Shark's ADVANCED package.  I configured everything to use LAV and passthrough all audio.  It works fine in Media Player, but when I play them through Emby, it transcodes and streams them.

CBers

Don't use Shark's Codec packs, you don't need it.

Even with Shark's Codec packs installed, you shouldn't be transcoding.

Do you get a message pop up saying the Emby can't direct play?

hansolo77

Nope, it just plays avi's directly, then on mkv's it takes a minute, says streaming, then buffering, then I can't control it or have hi-def audio.

The link you provided to the forum post about LAV doesn't really work.  It goes to a post about what to do, and then it says to go to another website about how to do it, but that website is down.

Logos302

https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases  will take you to the page you need the codec from (1/3 to 1/2 way down the page is the link).  But I wonder is the AVI and MKV on the same drive ( I know you mentions pooling but just making sure) cause it almost sounds like it had direct access to the AVI but not the MKV for some reason.  Are you using path substitution or did you just giving Emby server the UNC path in your library setup.  

Edited by Logos302

hansolo77

I'm not using Path Substitution.  I'm also not using a UNC path, should I be?  When I configure Emby on the server, I just point it to the media files directly on the pooled path.  DrivePool creates a virtual drive and does the pooling "behind the scenes".  I've verified there are no active pooling activities.  The drive it created is D:\.  I've simply pointed Emby Server to look in D:\.  If I open up the network connections on my HTPC (via UNC) I can play mkv in Media Player fine.  It's only through Media Center that it's not working.

CBers

That link is down again!

I assume @@Jon is having issues again.

We really need to port it here.

Yes, UNC is a real must with Emby for WMC.

hansolo77

I found a cached version of that website through Google.  I followed the instructions, but it still only streams.

• Solution
CBers

I found a cached version of that website through Google. I followed the instructions, but it still only streams.

Change the libraries to either UNC, or use path substitution.

• Like 1

hansolo77

Grr, I hate these simple errors with simple mistakes!  I've been wracking my brain all night last night and most of today trying to figure the stupid codec problem, and it turned out to be a path issue!  When I rebuilt the path by going through NETWORK->'computer'->Videos->TV Shows it worked right away!  Thanks a lot for helping me with this.  I would have never considered the network path needed to be used in place of a direct path.  Go figure.

Something else... how good is the DLNA with Emby?  I used to use Serviio to stream to a BluRay player in the living room, but it was pretty weak on HD stuff and I uninstalled it and haven't looked back.  Since I've upgraded my WHS with a new processor, I thought I might give it another go.  Would enabling the DLNA force my Media Center to start using that too (thus breaking the direct play in favor of streaming)?

Vidman

No the purpose of the DLNA is is exactly as you describe. ..for devices that don't have dedicated emby client apps...dedicated clients will still direct play if they can