[REQ] OSCAM descrambling

Karbowiak

c0m3r

Why should emby have nothing to do with it? As already stated, a number of other live tv programs have implemented it and they have done so because it is not illegal. Also, whilst it may breach some providers T&c's, it may not do for all and there is no reason to limit for all to please a few. I personally dont see why emby would not implement such a feature when it is clearly something which is already possible through a variety of legitimate sources.

Spaceboy

Because as we agree there are multiple other solutions for this and I don't want to see emby blacklisted for such little gain.

c0m3r

Mulitiple other solutions that dont allow the benefits if emby tv. If you go with that logic, there would have been no point developing emby tv at all as there are other backends. Dont see why or who would blacklist emby?

Karbowiak

Because as we agree there are multiple other solutions for this and I don't want to see emby blacklisted for such little gain.

Blacklisted from what?

TV providers?

What are they gonna do, give their users a stern warning not to use it, eventho they have no way to police it, control it or otherwise see that their users are using it? :D

how many of the other ones are in app stores? that's another issue we face is the app stores look at us very closely.And even if not illegal, if it's violating terms of use with content providers then it could be a problem for our apps.

We can be kicked out of the Amazon, Google and iOS stores - just like Kodi was.

Karbowiak

how many of the other ones are in app stores? that's another issue we face is the app stores look at us very closely.And even if not illegal, if it's violating terms of use with content providers then it could be a problem for our apps.

That's the thing tho, it doesn't violate any terms of service, nor is it illegal.

If it is violating some terms of service, it doesn't violate the terms of service for me atleast, and if it is illegal, i havn't been able to find anything in my searches.

And i did spend little over an hour looking for some sort of prescedent that'd make it illegal.

Only thing i've found that can be somehow linked to it, and it's a pretty but stretch in the link at that, is if you were trying to use it to build a service like Aereo built. But if you're going that route, there are other tools far more suited for the purpose.. FAR more suited..

Karbowiak

We can be kicked out of the Amazon, Google and iOS stores - just like Kodi was.

Well in that case they should boot you out already, since there are plugins for TVHeadEnd, which can do this exact thing /o\

c0m3r

I think the issue with kodi was different in that addons allowed access to illegal online streams, not legitimate use of a persons own subscription.

I think the issue with kodi was different in that addons allowed access to illegal online streams, not legitimate use of a persons own subscription.

That is all up to the interpretation of the powers that be in those marketplaces though.  And those companies are working deals with content providers who put pressure on them to combat piracy.

I actually don't know if this particular request would be a problem but, basically, we need to be careful about anything that can be interpreted as not just illegal but against the TOS of content providers.  The marketplaces can simply decide not to let us be in their stores.  It is completely up to their discretion.

So, we would have to do some research and we will want to err on the side of caution.

Spaceboy

That's the thing tho, it doesn't violate any terms of service, nor is it illegal.

If it is violating some terms of service, it doesn't violate the terms of service for me atleast, and if it is illegal, i havn't been able to find anything in my searches.

And i did spend little over an hour looking for some sort of prescedent that'd make it illegal.

Only thing i've found that can be somehow linked to it, and it's a pretty but stretch in the link at that, is if you were trying to use it to build a service like Aereo built. But if you're going that route, there are other tools far more suited for the purpose.. FAR more suited..

Please explain how you use Oscam then

Karbowiak

Please explain how you use Oscam then

I use it to descramble the channels i pay for, with the card that i pay for, using tvheadend + oscam, and then watch it on the television, tablet, phone, webbrowser of my chosing.

Schedule recordings, watch recording etc. etc.

The usual.

Yes i could technically watch upto 4 different tuners with x amount of channels pr. mux (say 3 channels pr. mux and each tuner is on a seperate mux, that'd mean i could watch 16 channels at the same time)

But that is besides the point.

I can do that without descrambling the channels i pay for, since i have channels that aren't scrambled aswell

Spaceboy

Look you are clearly breaching your providers TOS. I'm not criticising, it's exactly what I am doing but you need to at least acknowledge what you are doing. Somewhere there will be a clause that says you must use your providers equipment

Karbowiak

Look you are clearly breaching your providers TOS. I'm not criticising, it's exactly what I am doing but you need to at least acknowledge what you are doing. Somewhere there will be a clause that says you must use your providers equipment

That's it tho, i'm not.

I even spoke to my provider about it, and they were fine with it. Literally spoke with customer support, not just tier bottomfeeder customer support, the top level customer support.

Ontop of that i read through several forums where others had gotten the same replies, and consulted my providers TOS pdf.

Literally does not say, anywhere, that i am not allowed to run a setup as i'm running.

Yes i'm sure they'd get really upset if i decided to start sharing my tvheadend instance to friends and family, but i'm not. It's strictly for in home use, so.. Yeah..

Also if it really is illegal in your book, please provide proof, otherwise just shut up already *sigh*

c0m3r

That is all up to the interpretation of the powers that be in those marketplaces though. And those companies are working deals with content providers who put pressure on them to combat piracy.

I actually don't know if this particular request would be a problem but, basically, we need to be careful about anything that can be interpreted as not just illegal but against the TOS of content providers. The marketplaces can simply decide not to let us be in their stores. It is completely up to their discretion.

So, we would have to do some research and we will want to err on the side of caution.

Which is all fine. I mentioned at the beginning that this was at dev discretion. My point all along has been that emby should not look to refuse this request on the basis that is illegal when it clearly is not. Also, i would be very surprised if this would prevent your inclusion in app stores you already have been accepted into when existing plugins use the same technology.

mini__me

To answer Luke, DVBLink offer the ability to add this type of plugin for their server and have the Apps in the relevant Appstores to connect to the server.

However DVBLink ONLY provide the ability to setup a Live TV Tuner Farm and Serve those streams to their WI, Apps and WMC. On logic alone that *should* mean if the Appstores have a problem with the ability to add the plugin type required to view encrypted content that they would ban the DVBLink Products.

Edited by mini__me

mini__me

True it's not. But it does have iOS / Droid / Windows Apps.

On that note and completely off topic just a gentle reminder that the Emby Amazon Mobile App is donkeys years behind Google still....

Karbowiak

Also if you search the wiki you'll find no mention of oscam or even the plugins folder. The method is only properly documented on avforums, I think it's a grey area even as far as they are concerned.

And to the guy before http://www.sky.com/shop/__PDF/SkyPlusHD.pdf page 11 para 4.3

So just because it's not written about on the Emby Wiki or that many places online, it's a gray area?

Cool, i'll remember that the next time i can't find something ^^

It's not an emulator, lol.

You have to use a card reader + a physical card to get the keys.

Everything the TV with the CAM slot does, Oscam does too.

How is it not an emulator?

Open Source Conditional Access Module software..? It can decrypt several different types of encryption without any hardware, now in my book that's an emulator.... Lol

DvbViewer also supports this via plugins but you get kicked out of the forums there if you ask about it... Basically everyone puts the support in for it but doesn't "officially" support it.