1.1.16 direct play working fine yet keep getting play from http instead

scalda

Angelblue05

The "From:" needs to match the folder path exactly. So let's say I wanted to modify T:\TV Shows. Path substitution would be From: T:\TV Shows to the network share I just created \\Corruption-PC(computer name)\TV Shows

55b0f9b59ddde_library2.png

puithove

I just started running into this same issue since mine updated to 1.1.16 (I guess it's in the stable repo now).

I don't use path substitution.  I also don't put SMB credentials in Kodi or the Emby addon settings - because I don't use SMB.

I run Linux clients and use NFS.  I have the NFS exports mounted using the same paths that the Emby server uses.

This all worked just fine prior to 1.1.16 (even up to 1.1.14 which was the last version I was running).

I did a DB reset, because I remembered reading there were some new things in this version that needed a reset.  During the rebuild I see messages like:

00:10:16 T:140314723460864  NOTICE: EMBY PlayUtils -> Path seems invalid: /share/media-pub/tv/Archer (2009)/Season 06/Archer (2009) - s06e09 - Pocket Listing - WEBDL-1080p.mkv
00:10:16 T:140314723460864  NOTICE: EMBY PlayUtils -> Path seems invalid: /share/media-pub/tv/Archer (2009)/Season 06/Archer (2009) - s06e10 - Reignition Sequence - WEBDL-1080p.mkv
00:10:16 T:140314723460864  NOTICE: EMBY PlayUtils -> Path seems invalid: /share/media-pub/tv/Archer (2009)/Season 06/Archer (2009) - s06e11 - Achub Y Morfilod - WEBDL-1080p.mkv
00:10:16 T:140314723460864  NOTICE: EMBY PlayUtils -> Path seems invalid: /share/media-pub/tv/Archer (2009)/Season 06/Archer (2009) - s06e12 - Drastic Voyage (1) - WEBDL-1080p.mkv

One of those for apparently every file.  I've verified that the mounts are valid, and that the files are readable by the user that is running Kodi.

Seems like something is wrong with whatever it's doing to verify the path.

Also, after the database rebuild, my library only contains a few items.

I wonder if this is the root cause for the other reported issue of updates not syncing.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Thanks for reporting @@puithove. Stable doesn't contain anything from beta after version 1.1.13.

There is no protocol attached to your path. Kodi expects your paths to be in this format, smb://path/to/content or nfs://path/to/content or local c:\path\to\content. So my guess is that it was silently falling back to direct streaming and you just didn't notice. But just to make sure, I've removed the verification you are seeing, in the custom version I've added to my post. We'll see if it's then able to proceed.

When configuring NFS shares to use as network sources for Kodi's music/video libraries, use the following format: nfs://1.2.3.4/path/to/folder

Can you try this version, let me know if playback is then successful?

Edited by Angelblue05

puithove

Thanks for reporting @@puithove. Stable doesn't contain anything from beta after version 1.1.13.

There is no protocol attached to your path. Kodi expects your paths to be in this format, smb://path/to/content or nfs://path/to/content or local c:\path\to\content. 

When configuring NFS shares to use as network sources for Kodi's music/video libraries, use the following format: nfs://1.2.3.4/path/to/folder

Can you try this version, let me know if playback is then successful?

Hmmmmm... that should only be if you want to use Kodi's internal support for networking.  What I'm saying is I've mounted the network path at the OS level - so the OS presents it as a local path.  Kodi can access it as a local path (which happens to be the same path that the server uses).  There's no need to tell Kodi what protocol to use as I'm not using Kodi's networking.  This is the way it's always worked.  Not sure why it's changed now.

I'm off to bed right now (just back home from a long week).  I'll give that a test run tomorrow.

Thanks!

Edited by puithove
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Oki, well just let me know when you have a chance :) I've removed the verification, so it will try to validate your path without getting stuck on the fact there's no protocol. We'll go from there to correct the issue. Thanks!

Edited by Angelblue05

im85288

I also noticed this yesterday for the first time and was confused by the message. Direct play always works for me and this message seemed to indicate I could carry on watching the media by using a streaming option. In reality the media was not actually on the server at all as I had done some moving about of where my tv shows are located so the message was very confusing in this case.

puithove

I looked on my other box - it still had 1.1.14 (I have auto updating turned off).  So apparently I was more tired than I thought and must have hit the update which made me get 1.1.16.

On the 1.1.14 on this other box, I re-confirmed that all was well, it was able to play stuff normally as it has direct access to the files.  No reports of "Path seems invalid" anywhere in the log.  I even did a DB reset on 1.1.14 and it rebuilt the whole library just fine, without a single issue.  Then I did update to 1.1.17 (current in beta repo), did a DB reset, and it's showing "Path seems invalid" for every file.  So something between 1.1.14 and 1.1.16 changed to cause this.  Also, I notice that the initial scan runs faster as I assume that it's skipping something based on the path being invalid.

I replaced the addon with the test version you posted above.  I did a DB reset and am running an initial sync now.  It's running much more slowly than 1.1.14 did.  It isn't showing any of the "Path seems invalid" in the log though.  I'll update when the sync finally finishes.

Edit:  sync on the test version finished.  Playback works normally and I don't see any reports of "Path seems invalid" in the log.

Edited by puithove
  • Like 1

puithove

And thanks for all the work you're putting in.  Don't let the issues get you down, it's just how things go sometimes.

• Like 1