1.1.16 direct play working fine yet keep getting play from http instead

scalda

scalda

Hi my pis have updated today and when ever i play some thing i get the menu below in the image to come up even thou the video is playing in the background and the only way to get rid of it is to restart kodi

2015-07-22%2020.30.40.jpg

i'm sorry but if the file isn't available via direct play what makes it think it is going to play via http this should be a option in the settings to turn off

regards

scalda

xnappo

A lot of times if you are off network, or have your permissions set up wrong, play from HTTP will work where direct play does not.  If you select 'remember next time' you will not see this box again.

If this box popped up - most likely you are NOT direct playing.

Edited by xnappo

mgworek

This happened to me all night last night. I cleared the DB and resynced. Worked fine this morning.

"If this box popped up - most likely you are NOT direct playing."

​When this was happening, if you looked at the emby server it said it was direct playing. 

Edited by mgworek

xnappo

Could be a bug.  Post a log according to 'how to report a problem' thread.  

Angelblue05

Yes please post a log set to debug. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smidley

Same thing happened to me as soon as I updated to 1.1.16.  I haven't re-synched my DB yet though.  I found that if I just press the "back" button when this dialog comes up, the file plays fine via direct streaming.

Angelblue05

You have two options for the network user and pass. The first is to set it in the addon settings.

The second, you can actually navigate to the directory via Videos > files > add videos > navigate to your share, via smb, Kodi will prompt you for your network user and pass and you can choose to remember. Then back out via cancel.

Angelblue05

You have two options for the network user and pass. The first is to set it in the addon settings.

The second, you can actually navigate to the directory via Videos > files > add videos > navigate to your share, via smb, Kodi will prompt you for your network user and pass and you can choose to remember. Then back out via cancel.

arrbee99

Also have this with 1.1.16 on a Pi 2 / Kodi. Tried clearing the database and rebuilding, rebooted the Pi - didn't work. Play from HTTP works and it direct streams, but selecting Play from HTTP and remember for next time gives a script error.

Don't actually have an Emby pass(word) to type in anyway.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

@@arrbee99 can you post your log? Thank you in helping us getting this resolved. See here if you are unsure how to do so: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/17599-how-to-report-a-problem/

Edit: I just pushed a fix for your error arrbee99 (the play from http remember one) It will be in the next release. However looking for someone to post a log so I can see what's it's doing when it tries to validate the file exists because this would be why it's failing in the first place. Thank you guys.

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

@@arrbee99 NVM, just saw you stated in previous post its rPI 2. :)

You need to use path substitution in your server or use direct streaming only. The problem is that you have local paths G:\ set as your library path, on your server, but when using the same path from Kodi, it obviously doesn't find G:\... Once you correct this, it should direct play. If you set your library as local, Kodi needs to be on the same machine to find the content.

So you will go in your Emby server dashboard > library > path substitution and do From G:\MKV Movies (or whatever the local paths you have set under the folder tab) to \\servername\MKV Movies\ and make sure you share the MKV Movies folder on network. You can follow the quick tutorial here: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/703-how-to-make-unc-folder-shares/?p=21632

Another thing, it looks like your local path are badly formatted with the front forward slash "/"... Local should be G:\MKV Movies. It "shouldn't" break anything, but thought I'd let you know... :)

Edited by Angelblue05

arrbee99

I realise you know infinitely more about this stuff than I do, but wouldn't that forward slash cause problems - in the log it looks like it looks for the file using a path with forward slashes, can't find it and then gives an error where the file path includes backward slashes. Or maybe it just shows that I know nothing about the significance of / vs \ in general.

Also, that fix you mentioned putting in the next release, that wouldn't work for Raspberry Pi2 and / or needing to use path substitution ?

Angelblue05

The fix I pushed is just for the error you were getting when selecting HTTP and remember for next time option.

If your Kodi is not on the same machine as Emby, you need to set up path substitution or use UNC paths for your library folders. Path substitution is simply to convert your local paths into network ones so the file can be access over your network share. Check the tutorial I linked for help. Your local paths are indeed correct with backward slash (I was looking at your plugin path so it was my error). For some reason, the filename in the plugin path is incorrect. I will check this out. But as for the playback, you will need to use network share because Kodi can't find the file at the location stated below. 

13:46:34 T:1589638176  NOTICE: EMBY PlayUtils -> Unable to direct play. Verify the following path is accessible by the device: G:\MKV Movies\X-Men Days of Future Past\X-Men Days of Future Past.mkv. You might also need to add SMB credentials in the addon settings.
Edited by Angelblue05

arrbee99

Am I maybe thinking that direct play and direct streaming are the same thing but they're not ? I just get (very easily) confused when the very next line after the one you mentioned  (which says 'Unable to direct play'),  says 'File is direct streaming' and the movie plays fine without encoding.

Hope I'm not being to annoying or questioning, and will still have a go with this path substitution thing and see what develops. Thanks very much.

Angelblue05

Feel free to ask any questions. We are here to help :)

Direct play: Play the file directly in Kodi. This can only happen if Kodi has access to the file.

Direct stream: Play the file via Emby and feed Kodi the file without modfications. Usually, you use this if there's an access issue or if you are outside the emby server network with decent bandwidth.

Transcoding: Play the file via Emby and modifies the file so Kodi can read it. This is if you are outside the server network with limited bandwidth or Kodi can't read the file in the original format.

I hope this helps you differenciate. 

Edited by Angelblue05

arrbee99

By now you've figured out that I'm a few bricks short of a full load, but how come I can play videos from my PC, through the router to the Pi (all via Ethernet) and hence to the Sony TV without needing to use path substitution up until now ? ( I think I shared video directories and established a homegroup a while ago, but not the paths thingy)

Angelblue05

Are you sure? Because for testing, I've added a local folder to my library. It fails to direct play, and it also fail to send the stream to a Kodi that's not on the same device as my Emby server...  In your scenario, the only thing I can think is that you are in fact direct streaming, not direct playing.

I had to rework the fallback for playback, because when direct playback was failing, it was switching to direct stream silently, without the dialog to pick HTTP. So my guess is until now, you have been direct streaming and never noticed. Now because of the dialog, you noticed. Anyway, it is your choice. You can decide not to use path substitution and direct stream everything. There is really no difference other than using very little emby resources to do so. :) But the file quality, audio, sub tracks will remain the same as if you were direct playing.

arrbee99

When I look on the server at active devices while a movie is being played on the Pi, it says 'Direct Streaming', as you said above.

Also, when I look at the Folders section in the Library it gives a Media Location of, for example G:\MKV Movies and I have never added anything under the Path Substitution tab.

Angelblue05

Yes, so this means, you've been direct streaming all this time. 

Normally you'd add the network share as a library folder rather than the local path, because a local path is not something that can be used by other devices (every device have their local directories, so it will fail to find the file if it tried G:\MKV Movies from the device location). However a network share is accessible from any location inside your network so it would successfully find the file and therefore try to direct play.

Since your library is already scanned in, path substitution is in place so you don't have to remove the library folder and re-add it via the network share. First, you create the share, basically right click your MKV Movies folder, share with user "Everyone". If you need help, this post here is very clear on how to do this: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/703-how-to-make-unc-folder-shares/?p=21632. Then under path substitution, you'd enter:

To: \\computer-name\MKV Movies

That's it. Then in Kodi or any devices other than where your Emby is located will be able to access the file via the network share and instead of direct streaming, the device will direct play if it can.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

In the next version, the HTTP dialog will correctly cancel out if you press back. However @@scalda please post a log set to debug. It will let us know where it's going wrong for direct play, because the http dialog should not display if direct play is successful. Thanks.

arrbee99

Have tried to use path substitution on my G:\MKV Movies folder (changed to \\computername\MKV Movies) and shared with everyone but still get - unable to Direct Play and the HTTP thing. Guess I've got something wrong somewhere. Will have another go tomorrow when people here stop actually wanting to watch programmes on the television so I can test it out......

• Like 1

mgworek

Now I can't recall if it said direct streaming or direct play. I can't check till later.

Now I am worried I might have paths set wrong since I had to rebuild a few months back.

For shows

To: \\ipaddress\Media\Shows

should it be \tv instead of /tv? Under folders for my Library its /tv

Thanks