How to Troubleshoot Chromecast Problem

Dhostetter1023

Dhostetter1023

I can view movies on my phones and tablets fine but when I try and cast them to my Chromecast nothing happens.

It connects fine, the TV screen shows the Emby screen ready to cast but when I hit play nothing happens.

I can cast using Plex and DS Video just fine no issues.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I could troubleshoot this issue and get it working?

Thx,

Dave

Guest asrequested

Hi, yeah, I have the exact same problem as Dhosetter1023. My Chromacast works with everything else other than Emby. Emby logo comes on screen and stays there, no change. You tap play and nothing. It doesn't crash or lock up, it just doesn't do anything.

Thanks guys

Peter

Gernash

You are not alone, I have the issue with Emby on windows as well probably on the TODO list not Synology related. I've found if you connect to the cromecast with another device while it's "frozen" it begins to play normally.

If your using emby for docker then it probably won't work at all.

Edited by Gernash

Dhostetter1023

The problem was solved with an update to the Android app for me.

Everything is back to normal.

• 1 month later...
agentsmith

Hey guys,

I'm new to Emby (been using it about a month and a half now). I recently converted from Plex and I must say, been almost nothing but happy. However there is only one component that is not working right now that I desperately need to function, Chrome Casting. I've tried many things but nothing seems to work; I've used different versions of the Android app (and several different Android devices), I've tried different versions of Chrome Browser, and Emby has updated several times since my install so I've tried different versions of that as well. I'm also primarily a Linux user but fired up my old Windows gaming rig just to confirm it didn't work there either (pretending for a second that something does work as intended in the Windows world; feature rich right? I digress ;). At any rate, does anyone here have any insight into why this is not working? My normal mental process is "okay, what am I doing wrong?" but after trying so many different things here I am hoping someone can point to a check box I'm missing (god I hope it's that stupid...). 

My symptoms are pretty much identical to those described above but I'll go over it all right now in an attempt to be thorough. Let's say for the sake of argument we're doing this via Chrome Browser v45 and I'll isolate it to my Windows 8.1 rig to make testing easier for people (although the symptoms are the same in all cases); Emby server version 3.0.5724.3 and Google Cast extension ver 15.721.0.5. I sign in locally to Emby in the browser. On the main home screen I hit the Chromecast "button" (note that it does the same thing if I hit the Chromecast button "plugged into" the browser or the one in the GUI built in for the Emby page - also note it does not matter "when" I hit the button, it will always act the same way either after selecting media or on a media list page just browsing for something, or from the home screen). Once the button is clicked I select "Chromecast" from the list (as opposed to "my device"), then I select the Chromecast target from the next list (as I have several around the house; note that they all act the same way here, I've also tried this at friend's houses and on the Chrome Cast in my office with no joy). The TV with the selected Chromecast plugged in will light up with "ready to cast" "select your media..." and the Emby logo displayed; victory right? I wish. So from this point it's "stuck" and will not cast anything. It will not display the meta details for selected media (regardless of the "mirror display" setting, which is enabled) and when I click "play" for the file it does nothing (you can see the green play button "react" to my click in the browser, it just does nothing). When I disconnect the Chromecast and click the play button again, it starts playing in my browser flawlessly. It's important to note that all my Chromecasts work perfectly with everything else I use them for.  I am not seeing anything in the logs but I could be looking in the wrong place; if you'd like for me to check anything specific just say the word. 

Hopefully that covers it in enough detail that someone can point out what I'm doing wrong here... if you have questions or would like me to try anything reply back and I'll give it a shot. 

Thx in advance! 

Edit: I also tried the "connect to the ChromeCast with another device while it's stuck" suggestion and that does nothing at all, it does the exact same thing with the new device connected. 

Edit edit: I forgot to add that I've installed Emby on two different sets of hardware and downloaded the installation package separately both times to verify it's not a bad install/download/NIC/whatever. 

Edited by agentsmith

• 1 year later...

I had the same problem. Allowed any data between chromecast and laptop through laptop firewall and it started working again.

Well done !

• 1 month later...

Having the same issue, latest android version, latest Beta of emby-server, and latest chrome. Both Chrome and Android apps will connect to the chromecast and display the Emby logo, but pressing the play buttons on either does nothing. Chromecast doesn't follow browsing of items on either platform and nothing will play.

Having the same issue, latest android version, latest Beta of emby-server, and latest chrome. Both Chrome and Android apps will connect to the chromecast and display the Emby logo, but pressing the play buttons on either does nothing. Chromecast doesn't follow browsing of items on either platform and nothing will play.

Hi there, we're very sorry to hear about this. In order for us to best help you, please provide the Emby Server log. you can learn how to do that here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/

Thanks !