Temporary File Sharing Link

Chillout

Chillout

One useful feature would be to create a temporary link to allow guest access to only one file for a limited time.  This link could be emailed to a person or persons and allow them to access to stream only that one file.  The link would allow them to see only that one file and stream it for a limited time.  After the time expires the link no longer works.  Access would have to be something simple, not going thru Connect or any extra steps except maybe putting in an email address and agreeing to some terms and conditions.

We have friends that occasionally ask to watch tv shows we have recorded on our HTPC.  I thought about creating temporary guest account with access to only a single folder/file but would require disabling it and tedious task of managing a number of accounts.

Sorry if this has been asked in the past... I thought about this when at work and making a temporary FTP email to share large files to a client.   Maybe something like this could be done for Emby streaming individual files.

trusselo

it has been repeatedly repeatedly stated...

emby will not condone or facilitate the use of distributing copyrighted material.

Chillout

This feature doesnt add anything Emby doesnt do already; its just a more convenient way of temporarily sharing without creating a permanent user account.  The stream can be limited to 1-play or 1 concurrent stream and not allow copying to local if that helps people sleep better.

Besides, nobody would use Emby to do what everyone is worried about.  There are dozens of free websites that have a massive online collection and stream the latest movies.  There is no reason anyone would use Emby when all this is out there and just a google search away.

trusselo

Temporary sharing implies allowing access to non-owners of a legal copy.

Owners would have 24/7 access.

case closed.

Deathsquirrel

Many features are useful to both legitimate and clearly illegal uses.  For example, allowing remote access to the server in the first place.  I can use that to access my library when I'm at the used music store I like to visit and see if I already picked something up and forgot about it.  That's perfectly legal.  I can also use it to give my friends access to my music library.  That's completely illegal in most places, assuming it's commercial music.

Normally the Emby team won't implement a feature that has no legal use.  You propose allowing access to individual videos to remote users.  I can't think of a legal use for that.  If they don't live with you you can't share commercial videos with them to begin with so the number really doesn't matter ;)

I'm also pretty sure you could do what you want with tags anyway.

Chillout

If I wasnt concerned about piracy I would simply create a Permanent account with Full access to all content instead of Temporary access to Limited content.  I am trying to prevent access to my content.

Besides, nobody would use Emby to spread copyrighted content using a temporary link especially if there were safeguards in place (limited time, #plays, streams, no local copying).  Plus there are plenty of websites that people can use to watch whatever/whenever illegal stuff they want thats a lot easier than using someone's Emby service.

Lots of companies use temporary FTP links to distribute information, they would not be allowing this if it was illegal.

Vidman

I don't think there is any difference legally between pirating content temporarily or permanently and/or the quantity of content illegally distributed. ..except maybe the size of the punishment

Edited by Vidman

Deathsquirrel

If I wasnt concerned about piracy I would simply create a Permanent account with Full access to all content instead of Temporary access to Limited content.  I am trying to prevent access to my content.

Besides, nobody would use Emby to spread copyrighted content using a temporary link especially if there were safeguards in place (limited time, #plays, streams, no local copying).  Plus there are plenty of websites that people can use to watch whatever/whenever illegal stuff they want thats a lot easier than using someone's Emby service.

Lots of companies use temporary FTP links to distribute information, they would not be allowing this if it was illegal.

OK, put your content that's legally shareable in its own library and add a user that only has access to that library.  It's an excellent way to share home movies and the like.  Think I might do that myself.  It sounds fun.

Sharing a tv episode on the other hand, even for a limited time, isn't legal.  They're not going to add a feature that can only be used for infringement ;)

trusselo

you admit that a website hosting material for watching only is illegal.

you want emby to do the same thing with its "safeguards" (you call them) but consider it not illegal???

damn logic

Edited by trusselo

reluctantflux

Manually add a "don't share" tag to all of your media, then create a user for those libraries and block all content with the "don't share" tag under parental controls.

Then submit a feature request to add tags to multiple items easily.

Then remove the tag for the items you want to temporarily share.

Remember to tag all new items.

Request feature to auto add tags upon being added to library.

Edited by reluctantflux

Chillout

It seems this topic has created a lot of unnecessary Emby emo rage.  So, I'll end this conversation if only to prevent anyone from stroking out infront of their keyboard.  Its a good thing I didn't bring up religion or politics.