Collections, Libraries and Views

majestic

majestic

Can someone help me clear up a point of confusion about Collections, Libraries, and Views? Are the following statements correct?

1. There is currently no way in Emby, using Collections or metadata, to create a new "group" of media and have that "group" show up on the Home screen. The only way to do this is to setup the folder structure on the server accordingly and then create a new Library.

2. In the screenshot posted by Happy2Play (http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/23419-folder-views/&do=findComment&comment=228742), the "Kids" group is actually a separate Library that points to a separate folder on his server with all the kids movies in it (i.e. /Kids Movies). If you were to create a Collection called "Kids" and add movies to it from your existing movie Library, then the only way to see them in a group would be to navigate into the Collections folder/view on the Home screen ("display a collection view" setting) and/or see them grouped within the Movies folder/view ("group movies into collections" setting).

For me, I would really like the option to create groups or categories of media and have them show up alongside my Libraries on the Home screen without having to physically group the media in separate folders on the server. For example, I have a Library called "All Movies" pointed to the /Movies folder with all my movies in it. It would be really nice to create a couple of groups called "Kids Movies", "Martial Arts Movies" and "Wife's Movies." These groups would contain all the movies that I designate from the "All Movies" Library, using metadata or otherwise, and each group would show up separately next to "All Movies" on the Home screen. You could do this without having to create a new folder for each group on the server and then manually movie all the movie files/folders I want into the new group folders. This would allow all the media to be organized in a simple folder structure (/Movies or /TV), provide an easy way to create and navigate to a customized subset of that media (Kids Movies / Kids TV) in the Emby clients, and give complete control of the media organization/navigation to Emby Server.

I could imagine myself creating new groups all the time. Say, I am on a "Comic Book Movie" kick or a "Movies about Sports" binge. It would be very nice to be able to easily group movies together and have that group show up on the home screen, without having to manually restructure my media folders on the server and create separate Libraries. Groups could be add/removed without having any impact on the server's folder structure.

I could even expand on that further by imaging having Collections inside my group, or having a group that would contain a mix of media types (Movies, TV, Music, etc.). For example, my "Star Wars" group could contain the two separate movie Collections (original trilogy and the new trilogy), The Clone Wars movie, The Clone Wars TV series, the Star Wars Rebels TV series, the movie soundtrack albums, etc. The group would be easily accessible right next to my "All Movies" Library on the Home screen.

Perhaps this can already be accomplished, but I have yet to get it to work in my testing, or see it explained in detail on the forums or the wiki. Any insight or thoughts on how to do this would be appreciated.

rchevere

Hi. You could create as many collection as you need. Go to MOVIES in the web client and select the COLLECTIONS tab on top. From there just click in  the (+) sign and type a name for your new collection. Remember to select the [seach the internet for artwork and metadata], that way is somebody already have a collection like that you will receive the benefit of metadata and graphics.  :) Press submit.

If no images, don't worry. Emby will create one for you. Now go to options (last button) and select EDIT. Thuis will bring the Metadata Manager. Here you could add all  the information you want in  your collection.  To add your movies, press Titles tap and select (ADD). This will open a windows where you could search your movies and select those that fit your taste. Type the search title or a main word (ej. Star wars) will bring every movie with that info. Don't forget to press the search button. Check mark the movies you want and press ADD at the end of the list. 

And that is all. Now you will find in the main screen a new library call COLECTIONS. Is a fast way to your movie specific list of movies.

Have fun :D !! 

Edited by rchevere

Koleckai Silvestri

Three things would be nice with collections:

1) We could put collections within collections. Just two layers. Then in my Marvel collection, I could add the Ironman Collection instead of the three individual Ironman movies.

2) When marked as a favorite, the collections appeared on the Favorites tab.

3) Finally, it would be nice to be able to show favorite collections on your home screen.

• Like 4

Tolerant

Agree.. also posted.. but yes, Collections marked as Favs should be shown on the Favorites page, that IS the purpose of it after all. :P

• 2 years later...

I won't use Collections because when I select several movies and create a Collection, it removes all those movies from my Movies library. That's a royal pisser if I want a Collection called War Movies and then I'm missing dozens of movies when I want to just browse all of my movies. Maybe there's some really super secret way of preventing removals from my Movies library, but if there is, I sure can't find it. (And if a feature can't be found easily, then it's not designed well in the first place.)

I won't use Collections because when I select several movies and create a Collection, it removes all those movies from my Movies library. That's a royal pisser if I want a Collection called War Movies and then I'm missing dozens of movies when I want to just browse all of my movies. Maybe there's some really super secret way of preventing removals from my Movies library, but if there is, I sure can't find it. (And if a feature can't be found easily, then it's not designed well in the first place.)

hi @@LloydGM, it does not remove movies from your library. In order to help us improve, can you tell me why you think this happens? Thanks !

Edit: please respond in your new topic instead: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/51819-collectionsstop-removing-movies-from-my-library