Search in MB Classic causes a MCE crash

strohj
Go to solution Solved by strohj,

After I login to any user through media browser classic, I can go to my movie collection, after that when I click on search it will crash about 30% of the time. Unfortunately no error event is being created in my event log for media center

I am running Win 8.1 MCE

Media browser server version: Version 3.0.5070.20258

MB Classic version: 3.0.96.0 B11-19.1

I have noticed a crash when I click on the MB Classic version number in settings (inside MB Classic), although I still have nothing in the event viewer

I am using the default theme. I dont know if the search has always been broken, I just recently started using it.

Also i dont know if it matters, but my movie collection is split across multiple UNC locations

We are going to need more specifics.  I can't reproduce.

What, exactly, are you entering that causes the crash?

Be sure you look at everything in your event log.  Sometimes these things are labeled as information instead of errors.

I have the disney Nature  series Blurays ripped, the chimpanzee one specifically. I open the movies, then click on search, I type in Chimp and when I click on search, I get the windows popup stating that Windows Media center has encountered a error and needs to close.  The only media center events are about MCUpdate. I have even made sure that the log is not filtered.

I am going to go back to a restore point from about a week ago and see if the issue is fixed

" I open the movies"

What does that mean?  Realize I am working completely blind - can't see what you are doing so words is all I have and everyone's setup is different.  What is opening the movies?  Going into a specific collection?  A particular folder?  An individual movie detail screen?

• Like 1

• Solution

I mean my movie collection... 

WHat I oringially did to produce the error consistently:

1) Open MCE

2) click on Mediabrowser

3) click on a user (issue was with all users)

4) select my movies collection

5) click on search

6) Enter Chimp in the search box, I used a physical keyboard, not the onscreen one

7) click the search button

about 30% of the time, MCE would crash with no events in the event viewer

I have went back to a system restore from a week ago, Mediabrowser automatically updated to the same version as I had before and YAMM scanned my folders to add the movie art etc to the folders

now when I open MB Classic, I cannot reproduce the error, so Im going to assume that the MB server database became corrupted somehow.

Either way it works

I found the event in event viewer:

Application: ehshell.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ServiceModel.AddressAlreadyInUseException
Stack:
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.TransportManager.Open(System.ServiceModel.Channels.TransportChannelListener)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.TransportManagerContainer.Open(System.ServiceModel.Channels.SelectTransportManagersCallback)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.NamedPipeChannelListener`2[[system.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089],[system.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].OnOpen(System.TimeSpan)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Open(System.TimeSpan)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ChannelDispatcher.OnOpen(System.TimeSpan)
   at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostBase.OnOpen(System.TimeSpan)
   at MCEExternalizer.Services.ServicesController.doStartServices(System.Object)
   at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Queues.Dispatcher.MainLoop(Microsoft.MediaCenter.Queues.Queue)
   at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.UIDispatcher.MainLoop(Microsoft.MediaCenter.Queues.Queue, Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.LoopCondition)
   at ServiceBus.UIFramework.PageBasedUCPService.Run()
   at ServiceBus.UIFramework.UserControlPoint.Launch(System.String)

As well as:

Application: ehshell.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ServiceModel.AddressAlreadyInUseException
Stack:
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.TransportManager.Open(System.ServiceModel.Channels.TransportChannelListener)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.TransportManagerContainer.Open(System.ServiceModel.Channels.SelectTransportManagersCallback)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.NamedPipeChannelListener`2[[system.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089],[system.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].OnOpen(System.TimeSpan)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ChannelDispatcher.OnOpen(System.TimeSpan)
   at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostBase.OnOpen(System.TimeSpan)
   at MCEExternalizer.Services.ServicesController.doStartServices(System.Object)
   at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Queues.Dispatcher.MainLoop(Microsoft.MediaCenter.Queues.Queue)
   at Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.UIDispatcher.MainLoop(Microsoft.MediaCenter.Queues.Queue, Microsoft.MediaCenter.UI.LoopCondition)
   at ServiceBus.UIFramework.PageBasedUCPService.Run()
   at ServiceBus.UIFramework.UserControlPoint.Launch(System.String)

Based on those errors I'd say some other component on your system changed or was updated that was causing this.