Sony TV not showing artwork

enthous

enthous

I have a Sony Bravia Smart TV and can see my Emby server and files. They play just fine.  However, even though there is artwork showing when I look at the files on my Windows 7 PC, there are just gray icons showing when I browse the Emby library on the TV.  This happens for movies and music.  This makes it not only unattractive but really difficult to browse the library.

I see beautiful graphics in the MediaBrowser web app and on my Roku.  Is there something that needs to be set to get the graphics on a TV?  Is there a Sony app I can download?

you could try fiddling with some of the dlna profile settings for that device, like plain folders for example, or where the artwork is presented.

enthous

I'm sorry, I don't know what that is.  I look at the DLNA section of the server and it has general DLNA settings like "Enable DLNA".  I look at my devices and all I can change is the name.  Where are the settings for the individual DLNA server?  I must need to do some tweaking because when I play an mp4 from the Emby server on my SonyTV it doesn't play correctly (gets to a certain point and then just stops), but I can play it anywhere else:  Emby server from within Windows Media Player, the Windows Media Server on the same TV, the Emby web media player, Roku.  Everywhere but the way I want to:  Emby server on the TV.  I'm beginning to think Emby just doesn't play well with Sony.  Or, I've got more configuring to do, but I haven't the foggiest idea where. 

Edited by enthous

enthous

Okay, I found the xml files.  There are 4:  2010 through 2013.  I assume that's the year the TV came out?  Mine is new this year, although it could be 2014.  Is there anywhere that describes what those fields mean, and which one is being used for my TV?  How to use these files?  If I make a custom one, do I add it to these or put it in the User folder?  How does the server decide which file to apply?

Edited by enthous

Happy2Play

You have to log to determine what profile is being used by your tv.

You should see something like this.

2014-12-21 11:30:17.1238 Debug - Dlna: Found matching device profile: "profile name"

or

2014-12-21 12:25:34.1656 Info - Dlna: No matching device profile found. The default will need to be used.

enthous

Thank you.  I realized that none of the Sony profiles provided matched my product, so I created a custom profile from the most recent Sony and updated the regex expressions so my product would match.  It worked as far as getting the profile loaded instead of the default, and I now can see the artwork.  I can also see in the log that it's being used.

I'm still having issues playing one of the files, but the artwork problem is solved. 

• 1 year later...

The latest beta of Emby Server, 3.1.125, has numerous fixes for Sony Blu ray players from years 2013-2016. The changes will also be in the next stable release of Emby Server. Since I have a device for testing I am now able to test it fully and with the changes I've made everything is now playing perfectly.

It's possible that some of these improvements can be applied to older players or sony bravia tv's, but I do not have those devices available to test with, so for that I'll need to rely on community help. Enjoy.