Android Mobile

Redshirt

Quiks

Hi, I'm on the beta opt in. I'm on the most current version available today. it appears that subtitles aren't properly burned or attached into the downloaded file. I can select the subtitles in the option, but they don't appear to do anything.

Is there a better place I can report these kinds of bugs or is this thread fine?

mrfaulk

i've been trying out emby for android v 2.9.37 (from the play store)  and have a few questions.....

- is audio passthrough possible for nas mkv files?

- does emby for android tv offer any advantages over emby for android in terms of movie file playback?

thanks!

The mobile app does not have pass through but the TV app does. Eventually they both will.

mrfaulk

The mobile app does not have pass through but the TV app does. Eventually they both will.

thanks luke...

another quick question re the mobile app - the gui seems to be identical to the web browser interface but css changes i've made don't show up, i'm guessing for the same reason you mentioned in another thread.... however if i open a browser in android and enter my local address (http://192.168.x.xxx:8096/web/home.html) i see the css changes, same as when i use a desktop, but when i select a movie to stream it won't, instead i get a prompt to cast my selection, and when i select cast the movie streams but without controls....

can you please describe this in more detail?

but when i select a movie to stream it won't, instead i get a prompt to cast my selection, and when i select cast the movie streams but without controls....

Thanks.

mrfaulk

can you please describe this in more detail?

Thanks.

if i launch google chrome web browser from my android device (rooted shield tv, full non-android tv nougat rom), and then enter my local address in the address bar (http://192.168.x.xxxx:8096/web/home.html) i get the emby web browser gui that reflects the css changes i made, which is exactly what happens when i do the same thing from my desktop....

however, using the rooted shield, when i click "play" to stream a nas movie file i get the following screen with a cast icon rather than the movie simply playing:

embysc.jpg

worth noting, the screen is just black/blank when i click "play", i have to click the empty screen for the cast icon to appear... when the icon is clicked, "shield" is displayed as the only "cast to" device... when i get click "shield" the movie begins to stream, but no controls are available... also, hitting the browser back button doesn't take me out of the screen, nor does the keyboard escape key, i have to use the browser refresh button to leave the screen, which takes me to the main emby screen, not the previous screen....

mrfaulk

Is that a shield tv or shield tablet?

it's a rooted shield tv console (shield tv pro 2017).... btw, i just did the same with my galaxy tablet (launched google web browser, entered my local address in the address bar) and everything works like a charm...

mrfaulk

are you able to play video on other website, like youtube for example?

just tested netflix, youtube and amazon prime (using their android apps, not via the browser), and they all work great, super-fast load times, excellent stream quality....

EDIT: all work fine using browser as well....

Edited by mrfaulk

I think it is assuming the browser allows autoplay and therefore not showing you the video player play button to click on. i will adjust that for the next release. in the meantime, you might be able to tap and hold to bring up the video player context menu and hit play that way. or if you can hook up a mouse you can right click.

mrfaulk

I think it is assuming the browser allows autoplay and therefore not showing you the video player play button to click on. i will adjust that for the next release. in the meantime, you might be able to tap and hold to bring up the video player context menu and hit play that way. or if you can hook up a mouse you can right click.

yes, that's exactly what seems to be happening, when "play" is clicked the galaxy tablet takes you to a page with background art and a play button, the shield takes you to the same page when "play" is clicked (same url address) but iblank/black screen is displayed instead... already have a mouse and keyboard connected, the tapping/holding you suggested doesn't seem to work... 

i'd go ahead and use emby for android tv instead while i wait for the release, but as i mentioned in another thread emby for android tv doesn't seem to display properly on a non-android tv devices (not on the rooted shield w/ non-android tv rom, not on the galaxy tablet)... i guess i could revert the shield back to it's stock rom, but i really don't like anything about the android tv / leanback launcher interface, save for the great google voice search, which stinks with non-android tv by comparison....

in another forum, xda or nvidia, don't remember which, someone wrote that you shouldn't buy a shield tv if you don't want android tv, that you should just go with a non-android tv box, which seems to makes sense, but the thing is the shield has tremendous video/audio performance out of the box, including 4k tv, for a relatively cheap price (imo), i've tried other android boxes and they don't come close, even tried a nuc box with windows 10 that hit a wall with uhd sources...

CBers

it's a rooted shield tv console (shield tv pro 2017).... btw, i just did the same with my galaxy tablet (launched google web browser, entered my local address in the address bar) and everything works like a charm...

As per the other thread you have open, running a rooted Shield TV with a non-Android TV rom installed, using a different launcher, changing font sizes and side-loading apps that are not currently designed for Android TV, such as the Chrome browser, will cause issues.

mrfaulk

As per the other thread you have open, running a rooted Shield TV with a non-Android TV rom installed, using a different launcher, changing font sizes and side-loading apps that are not currently designed for Android TV, such as the Chrome browser, will cause issues.

yes, it seems that the android rom (latest nougat, non-tv) i installed on my shield may be causing the the prob i mentioned with the emby mobile app, albeit not sure why plex, kodi, spmc, vlc, mx player and all of the video apps i've installed (youtube, netflix, amazon prime, google play, etc.) have zero problems streaming video, they perform just as they do on my non-tv galaxy tablet, oh well...

re the font resizing, which is an option in the nova launcher i'm using, i thought that might be responsible for the emby for android tv gui displaying in such a narrow manner, with a lot of blank space, as i pictured in the other thread, but i think that's just the result of installing the emby for android tv app on a non android tv device, i get the exact same thing if i install the emby for android tv on my galaxy tablet (non-tv tablet)... i guess i was a bit confused because i was allowed to download/install the emby for android tv app on a non-tv device, which i assumed meant it would work fine with it, thought if it wouldn't work on the device it wouldn't show as a downloadable app for my device...

side launching? not sure i follow? i'm not side-loading anything, don't have to given i'm using a non-tv rom, which was one of the main reasons i was interested in the rom, i wanted to run android apps on my shield, not just the limited tv apps, or sideloaded apps that were hit and miss...

anyhoo, really like emby, hope i can get it to work for my needs.

Edited by mrfaulk

CBers

side launching? not sure i follow? i'm not side-loading anything, don't have to given i'm using a non-tv rom, which was one of the main reasons i was interested in the rom, i wanted to run android apps on my shield, not just the limited tv apps, or sideloaded apps that were hit and miss...

anyhoo, really like emby, hope i can get it to work for my needs.

Well if the rom is a non-Android TV one, then all apps will be available.

I also use Nova Launcher, but only on my phone and tablet, as that's what it's developed for.

The apps in the play store on an un-rooted Shield TV are limited for use on an Android TV device.

I'm surprised Luke and EBR look at issues where the apps are run on unofficial hardware and/or OS's.

They should make that part of the T&C's.

:)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Madelia123

Hi I'm new to emby so my question is i dont have a computer just my android phone but can i get a server installed on my phone so i can start enjoying emby? Thank you guilty computer illiterate

• 4 weeks later...

The latest android mobile beta 2.9.90 has Wake On Lan added to the server selection screen. Just click on a server and tape "Wake Server".

This requires Emby Server 3.3+. Please try it out and leave your feedback. Thanks !

thecondor

Ho, there's ant plan to add a settings for make Android cliente act as 'remote' for default? Like to assign for example a specific chromecast audio the default output and use Android app ad simple remote. Tnxs!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm unable to connect to Emby server via Emby Mobile over the internet says "unable to connect to the server".I have also manually forwarded the ports [8096>8096] just to eliminate issues with port mapping and I can reach the server using by punching in my static ip and port number.

Log.txt

@@hsran, please log into your emby server dashboard. Is the remote address displayed here the same one that you used when manually entering the static ip and port? Thanks.