Android Mobile

Redshirt

randomizer

The first attached log is starting up the application and trying to start streaming a film. This time it simply didn't start streaming at all. There aren't any nasty looking exceptions in this one so I'm not sure it really helps.

The second log is from jumping back into the application after having gone back to the home screen for a bit. The application pretty much hard locked the phone and I had to put it to sleep and wake it again with the power button.

This is on server version 3.0.5135.31685 and client 1.0.6 freshly installed after clearing all data, and with default client settings. Videos are basically raw blue ray rips. MKV container encoded with H.264/TrueHD (or DTS-HD Master) and I believe an AC3 track as well.

A couple of other issues:

• I have also noticed that the client doesn't like jumping forward and/or backward too quickly after doing so previously. Sometimes the server will dump the old stream but not start transcoding another. At least once it didn't start streaming to begin with. The client always freezes after a few attempts to seek once this occurs.
  • In every case of seeking that I've seen so far there is no loading indicator, so it appears to be doing nothing. I only know that it is working because I have task manager open on the server.
  • I think this has been mentioned here or in another thread, but the dimensions are a bit off. The video doesn't span the full width of the screen, and it's probably not using as much of the height as it can either.

I'd like to mention that I have an LG G2 as well, and it has displayed none of these problems. It works brilliantly. I can even seek while it's still trying to buffer from the last time I seeked. It's just rock solid and the client takes whatever abuse I've thrown at it. It's running Android 4.2.2. Perhaps it's a KitKat-specific issue. What device(s) are you testing with?

I will be getting rid of one of these phones but I'm not sure which. I won't be able to provide more logs if I get rid of the N5 obviously.

I hope I don't come across as whinging. I am just reporting the issues I've run into because I'd like to see them fixed (or some external cause identified), if not for me then for the next person who runs into them and doesn't have the patience to get log files. :)

client-4b8d7391-2d1c-4c3e-90ae-3c133643616a.txt

client-c54d83d4-a55a-4845-b351-5f697f0bf9bb.txt

Edited by randomizer

trusselo

just was watching family guy on my galaxy s4, mp4 aac direct stream video and audio.

pushed the on-screen mute button, and it muted, pushed again, couldn't get audio back. toggled the mute button a few times, no-go, adjusted the volume up and down using the hardware buttons, no-go.  had to press back, and then resume to get audio back.

Edited by trusselo

Redshirt

It's been fixed already trusselo. 

Hopefully I'll get that build out to everyone later this weekend.

• Like 1

The issue is the device reporting the wrong screen resolution. It's been resolved in my internal builds. 

Hi Redshirt. I was wondering if there is an ETA on the next release to include this fix? Thanks

Redshirt

The first attached log is starting up the application and trying to start streaming a film. This time it simply didn't start streaming at all. There aren't any nasty looking exceptions in this one so I'm not sure it really helps.

The second log is from jumping back into the application after having gone back to the home screen for a bit. The application pretty much hard locked the phone and I had to put it to sleep and wake it again with the power button.

This is on server version 3.0.5135.31685 and client 1.0.6 freshly installed after clearing all data, and with default client settings. Videos are basically raw blue ray rips. MKV container encoded with H.264/TrueHD (or DTS-HD Master) and I believe an AC3 track as well.

A couple of other issues:

• I have also noticed that the client doesn't like jumping forward and/or backward too quickly after doing so previously. Sometimes the server will dump the old stream but not start transcoding another. At least once it didn't start streaming to begin with. The client always freezes after a few attempts to seek once this occurs.
  • In every case of seeking that I've seen so far there is no loading indicator, so it appears to be doing nothing. I only know that it is working because I have task manager open on the server.
  • I think this has been mentioned here or in another thread, but the dimensions are a bit off. The video doesn't span the full width of the screen, and it's probably not using as much of the height as it can either.

I'd like to mention that I have an LG G2 as well, and it has displayed none of these problems. It works brilliantly. I can even seek while it's still trying to buffer from the last time I seeked. It's just rock solid and the client takes whatever abuse I've thrown at it. It's running Android 4.2.2. Perhaps it's a KitKat-specific issue. What device(s) are you testing with?

I will be getting rid of one of these phones but I'm not sure which. I won't be able to provide more logs if I get rid of the N5 obviously.

I hope I don't come across as whinging. I am just reporting the issues I've run into because I'd like to see them fixed (or some external cause identified), if not for me then for the next person who runs into them and doesn't have the patience to get log files. :)

I'm not experiencing the seek or exit crash, so it makes it hard to fix. I've just fixed (with my internal build) what I believe may be the issue regarding the exit crash. The aspect ratio issue has been fixed for a few weeks (again internal build). With regards to the seek issue. I have an idea what it may be. With the affected device, can you go into the client settings and disable hls support. Then test seeking during playback. Let me know if the issue persists. I'd like to get this sorted before this weekends release, otherwise it'll have to wait until the next release.

randomizer

Yes, it works with HLS support disabled. Having said that, it also froze on me when backing out of the preferences when switching HLS support back on (to double check that it still failed after toggling it off and on). The log didn't show anything though, with the last item stating that I had enabled HLS support.

Redshirt

I was almost hoping you'd say it failed with HLS disabled. That might be a bit of work to refactor :) I guess it's better though to actually know what the problem is.

Redshirt

Well, I'm a few days behind. Trying to catch up and deal with the flu. The next update just went out to the beta testers. Hopefully we can get it to you guys fairly quickly. 

• Like 1

TheShanMan

Is it a private or public beta? I bought the app but I'd like to get more regular updates if possible. If public, could you tell me where to download it?

Edited by TheShanMan

coolspot

Hah you must be like me ShanMan.  I'm a little OCD on my updates and I'm always reading the changelogs =P  Part of my nightly routine.

TheShanMan

If you decide you could use another tester, I'd be interested. If it helps, I tested prior to it being released to the app store.

TheShanMan

i have a chromecast when you are ready to test that.

I do as well. I am ANXIOUSLY awaiting chromecast support (in addition to live tv support).

Redshirt

I've just moved the latest beta to release. Version 1.0.19 should be available to everyone in the next few hours. It takes Google a while to propagate the change across it's infrastructure.

Here is the change log. There's other changes I've likely forgotten to mention...

Fix; Sorting
Fix: Incorrect episode counts when virtual episodes are disabled on the server
Fix: Homescreen scrolling showing wrong image
Fix: Mute button not un-muting
Fix: Video not fullscreen on some devices
Fix: Seek using scrubber causing server to stop streaming
Fix: Potential Crash when backing out of media playback
Fix: Various fixes to the remote control view
Enhancement: Add news feed to homescreen
Enhancement: Switch to standardized MediaBrowser watched indicator behavior
  • Like 6

randomizer

This version does seem more stable on the Nexus 5. I did still manage to crash it while seeking using HLS. See the 238f1c08... log.

I also found that on the G2 the music I was able to stream earlier no longer streams most of the time (it worked properly once). I've attached a client (4142afae...) and server log from the moment I try to start streaming the file. Occasionally it streams the first second or so before backing out.

client-238f1c08-cd6f-4121-b71f-21b3372f2ccd.txt

server-63526849858.log

client-4142afae-402d-4dd2-a97a-05504f88c879.txt

Redshirt

Is that all music, or just one song? I haven't changed streaming criteria at all. If it used to stream, it still should. Server transcoding changes notwithstanding...

Edited by Redshirt

randomizer

I only have the one album on the server (I don't normally stream music, I'm just doing so for testing), but it happens with all of the tracks I've tried. It doesn't happen on the Nexus 5.

Edited by randomizer

Redshirt

I don't have an eta yet. It will likely be in stages rather than one giant release.