Android Mobile

Redshirt

This is a pretty noob like question because im new to android but is their anyway to stream trailers for my local movies? I really dont want to download and my only experience prior with android is the xbmc app which did provide streaming trailers for your own movies on the movie page. If not I would like to request this feature. 

Redshirt

This is a pretty noob like question because im new to android but is their anyway to stream trailers for my local movies? I really dont want to download and my only experience prior with android is the xbmc app which did provide streaming trailers for your own movies on the movie page. If not I would like to request this feature. 

Trailer streaming is supported with my client, both from the media details page and from the trailers folder created by the trailers server plugin. I just did some testing and for some reason trailers aren't streaming successfully from the trailers folder using my tablet. However it looks like your wanting to play trailers that are stored locally on the server and those should work fine.

Thanks i should have been a bit more clear, im still unsure what limitations are of the trailer plugin itself.

I dont have my trailers stored locally, i have stream trailers in hd selected. And enable local trailer downloads unticked.

At least with the web browser client it seems to stream the trailers as i dont really want to store them locally on my pc and download them.

Not to keep bringing up xbmc, but with their app you have the ability to stream trailers for your local movies from youtube. So when i look up a movie in my collection the app will offer a trailer for it, the trailer is not stored locally but is streamed from youtube or wherever.

So i was wondering if that is supported or ever will be supported? I hope im making sense of this. I just noticed so far only the web app seems to offer streaming trailers from youtube support, and i was hoping to see it integrated into app's on android and apple as well.

Edited by Ghostm

Redshirt

The client is going to be constantly evolving for the foreseeable future. I'd like to think I'll be playing youtube trailers. I still have to pay attention to the legality of it though, especially since the client is a paid app. 

The client is going to be constantly evolving for the foreseeable future. I'd like to think I'll be playing youtube trailers. I still have to pay attention to the legality of it though, especially since the client is a paid app. 

Ok sounds good, one of the other reasons as well is i noticed in my limited trailer testing some movies mb3 has access to download are very poor quality, while streaming ones on youtube are much better resolution. Its just one thing i missed after switching from from xbmc was the streaming trailers from the android app. 

I'm interested in using an Android device such as a Minix X5 or X7 to play the MediaBrowser3 Android client.  I think this would be much better over something like a Roku client, as I love to have all the Metadata, background images, theme video's, etc.  But I have no Android devices to even try this client on, although I'm going to see if it will work via BlueStacks for a quick test.

So I have a few questions about the client maybe someone can answer for me.

1.  Does it play them videos and themesongs the way MBC and MBT does?

2.  If you are using a local (LAN) connection to a device such as mentioned above, does it stream and play directly, or does the server always transcode on the fly?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Redshirt

1. It does play theme songs currently. Theme videos are coming soonish.

2. It trascodes for now because Android devices by default can't see windows shares. That's not to say I don't have some plan for down the road.

Redshirt, thanks for the response.  I look forward to seeing this product advance as I think small hardware devices running Android could be what I would switch to for the majority of my house.

Redshirt

I have a similar device. I think they have great potential as an htpc.

• Like 1

Latchmor

Yeah I'm thinking of getting similar but not the stick kind, the wee box kind like roku. Bit more grunt/options with them.

Redshirt

It's an I'm not committing to a release date :) but not a no.

• Like 2

randomizer

I've noticed a few of issues.

1. If I mute the audio using the onscreen controls I can't unmute it. The icon changes but the audio remains muted until I go back to the menu and start streaming again. This occurs for music and video. I have attached a client log, during a period when I was muting and unmuting the audio.

2. After playing back a couple of media files the application becomes unresponsive, as do the KitKat soft buttons (they light up, stay lit for a few seconds and then dim). I then get the usual popup asking me if I want to be super patient or report an error. I also uploaded a log for this, but I'm not entirely sure it captures the exception at fault. It was pretty easy to reproduce by just jumping around a bit, but I have no specific steps to reproduce (I should know better!) so I'll have to pay a bit more attention to what I'm doing.

3. The "Music" category at the top of the home page says that there is no content, yet I can still play and shuffle the music from that screen. I have attached a log for this one too. It could be my library configuration, but it's only one folder for Music so it's not particularly complex.

Please note that I was running the current Dev build of MB server in the case of issue #2. I have not yet reproduced this with the latest official release so it's probably not a pressing concern just yet. The other two issues were reproducible 100% of the time with the latest official release even after completely wiping the server installation and rebuilding my (tiny) library.

MB Server build (stable): 3.0.5115.35703

Client: 1.0.6

Device: Nexus 5 running KitKat 4.4.2, stock ROM and kernel

External player: tried both

HLS: tried both

freeze.txt

mute issues.txt

missing music.txt

Edited by randomizer

Redshirt

Hi, 

1, Has been fixed internally for a while. I've just been very slow getting a new build out to the public. I'll look into the other two.

wallaceff

Might already have been mentioned... But my sort isn't sticking... I sort by most recent added / descending... But always reverts back... Ta

thefever

2. After playing back a couple of media files the application becomes unresponsive, as do the KitKat soft buttons (they light up, stay lit for a few seconds and then dim). I then get the usual popup asking me if I want to be super patient or report an error. I also uploaded a log for this, but I'm not entirely sure it captures the exception at fault. It was pretty easy to reproduce by just jumping around a bit, but I have no specific steps to reproduce (I should know better!) so I'll have to pay a bit more attention to what I'm doing.

I also have this issue. Have had it happen pretty often on both my Nexus 7's (2012 & 2013). If I back out of a playing item, it locks up. Softkeys lock up, glow as if pressed, and eventually I have to force close the app. I know for sure it happens when streaming outside of the home (On WiFi, not cellular), but can't recall if it does it when connected to WiFi at home. I'll grab a log of need be.

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

randomizer

Yes, that sounds like the same issue. I was streaming on WiFi in the home only.

Edited by randomizer

Redshirt

Can I get a client log from either of you two. I don't see the issue here. I've tried to back out with the video playing and also with the video paused and it nothing abnormal happens.

randomizer

The attachment "freeze.txt" in my original post may show the problem, but I'm not sure. It's a bit harder to get a good clean log for something that potentially requires quite a few actions before the symptoms appear, whereas the other issues I noted can be set up nicely before clearing the existing logs. Also, as I noted earlier i have not reproduced this with the current release build of MB3 Server yet, only the Dev build. I will look into it again when I have some time and see if I can produce a better log.

On another note, are you able to change the client so that for music it only holds a partial wakelock? There's not much need to keep the screen lit up for this use case when all you'll see is animated text flying around. You could make it optional, but I really don't think too many people are going to sit there watching the text. [citation needed]

Edited by randomizer

twitchstick

I have the same problem with streaming over WiFi on my Nexus 7 2012. I'm currently away from home and can not stream a TV show that's in 720p. When I try to back out it freezes up. I'm running Android 4.2.2.

Redshirt

Are you sure freeze.txt occured as you were backing out of the view? Can you persevere and recreate the issue on another log.

As for the now-playing screensaver. I actually agree with you. That screensaver is really more what someone using a mini-pc or similar device that is plugged into the wall would expect to see. Not someone walking around with a phone in their pocket. I mentioned it in another thread, it's just a little ways down the list of things to do.

EDIT: Does the freeze happen when your playing a certain media type, such as music only. Or with anything at all.

Edited by Redshirt

twitchstick

!y freeze happens when I try to play back .mkv files and .mp3 files for music. I literally have to be very careful on what buttons I press to not freeze the app. I will post my log soon.