Subtitle offset

kenelbow
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

kenelbow

Is it possible to adjust the subtitle offset while watching a video?  Emby appears to be downloading the correct subtitles for some of my tv shows and movies, the timing is just off by a few seconds.  I get this in Kodi as well when downloading external subtitles and the best course of action is usually to adjust the offset.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Yes.

Subtitle offset would be a great addition to the web client. I also get one or two seconds offset even though the subtitle 'is in sync' on other media players.

• 1 month later...

no, but good idea for the future.

Indeed :)

So I will be ready to remove subtitles workshop soon? :)

Well done buddy.

• 3 weeks later...
rubenverhoef

Hello,

Just a litlle comment to make a +1 on this feature !

kr,

I agree! this would be great!

MndWrp

An offset in srt files is easily fixed in SubtitleEdit from nikse... great little open source software...

rubenverhoef

An offset in srt files is easily fixed in SubtitleEdit from nikse... great little open source software...

Yes, but sometimes the subtitle offset change during the TV show. And when it is possible during watching everyone can do it while watching the TV show. Otherwise i have to do it on my own for every TV show.

It would also be very nice if the offsets during the show are stored and used for other users. :)

MndWrp

A varying offset probably means the sub has the wrong framerate... also easily fixable in SubtitleEdit... (i don't work for it or anything... i just use it a lot)

MndWrp

I'm no coder but... an offset built in emby would work for a stable offset... if you have a varying or gradual offset, the setting would have to be constantly edited... if you fix the offset at the start of the show if won't fit at the end and vice versa...

rubenverhoef

A varying offset probably means the sub has the wrong framerate... also easily fixable in SubtitleEdit... (i don't work for it or anything... i just use it a lot)

Mostly it is not the FPS but the black frames between scenes (there was a commercial block or something). sometimes the black frame is during longer than the subtitle thinks. After the black frame i have to sync my subtitles like 2 sec and after that it is running good until the next "black frame stop".

MndWrp

Mostly it is not the FPS but the black frames between scenes (there was a commercial block or something). sometimes the black frame is during longer than the subtitle thinks. After the black frame i have to sync my subtitles like 2 sec and after that it is running good until the next "black frame stop".

I get it... but you're better off just offsetting the block of problematic timecodes in SubtitleEdit, you save and you're done forever... i get it can be daunting for massive collections though... maybe look for some other srt that would fit your particular version of the show?

• 2 months later...
computerprep

Not to resurrect an old thread (not too incredibly old, a couple of months)...

Features like these BUILT INTO Emby would further support Emby as the leader in media management.

To be able to adjust your subtitle sync during playback (and on all devices, web, Chromecast, Android TV, Apple TV, Emby Theater, etc.). Code for this would be similar to the code used to offset the audio sync, which is widely available.

Editing external subtitles, shifting all timecodes, skewing for framerate issues, etc.

Injecting external subtitles into the file container of the video. After all, Emby server already utilizes ffmpeg to transcode both on-the-fly and in file-saving for syncing.

Maybe my ideas are to grandiose, but that would be incredible.

Edited by computerprep

I think those are all great ideas, it's just a matter of time and resources in getting to them.

computerprep

I wonder (doubtful) if anyone from Emby's development roster has worked on any of these other programs that are so useful.

If not, I wonder if a "strategic partnership" would be beneficial. Reaching out to their development team, seeing if they're interested.

I'm sure there are people currently use their respective software but not Emby. Yet. And people currently using Emby would all be exposed to their name, brand, mastering, etc.

Just an idea. Of course without diluting Emby. Nobody wants to feel like Emby's packaging spamware or adware, but if it's integrated and useful... hmmm.

I wonder (doubtful) if anyone from Emby's development roster has worked on any of these other programs that are so useful.

If not, I wonder if a "strategic partnership" would be beneficial. Reaching out to their development team, seeing if they're interested.

I'm sure there are people currently use their respective software but not Emby. Yet. And people currently using Emby would all be exposed to their name, brand, mastering, etc.

Just an idea. Of course without diluting Emby. Nobody wants to feel like Emby's packaging spamware or adware, but if it's integrated and useful... hmmm.

What software do you mean, stuff like mkvtoolnix? To be honest, of all the things you suggested above, I think what would really take the most time is the UI, and that's work that would have to be done from the ground up, and individually for each app we want to allow it in. All of the things you mentioned are pretty straight-forward with ffmpeg, it's the interface that is the delicate part. For example, we can't just throw up a text editor and say here, edit your subtitles. That will just result in lots of reports of "Emby not working" when they aren't saved properly. We have to take the time to give you a nice list of track events, where you can add, remove, edit properties for each, etc. And building the interface with the level of care and attention to detail is not always something that can be whipped up quickly.

computerprep

Would it be helpful if I was able to work this up in html5?

I'm a full time creative director, so I unfortunately can't fill my hours with the hard code. But the html/css/script interface, starting with desktop only (ie, the metadata manager).

Would it be beneficial, or would that effort need to start in some other language or on a different application layer?

Edited by computerprep

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
darkassassin07

I definitely +1 this.

It would be a handy feature to set a +/- offset to the subtitles for each item

• 2 years later...