Kodi integration with WMC

Deihmos

Deihmos

I was looking for a way to use Kodi and WMC easily and I finally got it. Live TV in Kodi just isn't as good as it is in WMC plus since I use a cablecard I can't view all the channels. 

Tools

Kodi Integration

Launcher4Kodi (not necessary but useful)

Advanced MCE Remote Mapper (not necessary but useful)

Kodi addon MCE Remote

Use the Kodi addon MCE remote to apply new registry settings to your MCE remote to prevent certain buttons from launching WMC like the guide button. It will also make your MCE remote work better in Kodi.

Install Kodi integration and that's all there is to it unless you want it to make it work a lot better. Kodi takes too long to close so I use Launcher4Kodi which maps CTRL+F4 to force close Kodi. I then use Advanced MCE remote mapper to map an MCE remote key to Ctrl+F4. Kodi then closes instantly and launches WMC.

If you have problems with WMC not in focus when it launches then follow these instructions to fix it or press the green button or equivalent on the remote. 

1. Click on Start and then Run.

2. In the text box in the Run window, type regedit and click OK. This will open the Registry Editor program.

3. Locate the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder under My Computer and click on the (+) sign next the folder name to expand the folder.

4. Continue to expand folders until you reach the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel registry key.

5. Select the Desktop key under Control Panel.

6. On the right-hand side of the screen, locate and double-click on the ForegroundLockTimeout DWORD.

7. In the Edit DWORD Value window that appears, remove the Value data: 30d40. I have left mine blank.

8. Click OK and then close Registry Editor.

9. Reboot your PC for the changes you made to take effect. 

10. Test exiting Kodi

Edited by Deihmos
  • Like 4

xnappo

I had meant to post about my WMC/Kodi integration (I suffer from TWC CCI-itis) but didn't think there was much interest.  I am using a similar from a functionality point of view, but totally AutoHotKey solution - if anyone is interested I can post details.  AutoHotKey knows checks which app is open, so things like 30-second skip do different things depending..

@@Deihmos - I (auto)rename non-CCI recordings to .mpg and then have WMC as a Kodi player for .wtv files.

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 1

Deihmos

launcher4kodi is using auto hotkey I think but I have no clue how to use it so this ready made tool was useful. On my HTPCs that go to sleep I use it to auto close kodi when it sleeps and reopen when it resumes. 

• 2 months later...

Why do you say "Live TV in Kodi just isn't as good as it is in WMC" ?

I have used WMC for live TV, but I have not used Kodi for live TV yet.  But I was going to try.  

Is it a very minor difference?

Deihmos

Well it depends. I use a cable card so Kodi is out of the question because some channels are copy once. In Kodi channel changing is a little sluggish and depending on the backend you don't get reliable timeshifting without introducing major lag. It also just isn't as nice looking and easy to use as it is in WMC. I am cool with using the two software because they both have their strengths and weeknesses. Try it out and see if it works for you.

Edited by Deihmos

I installed Kodi.  WMC is better in terms of TV playback in that you can see a thumbnail of where you are when you drag along the scrub line, so it is easier and faster to see where commercials end.  Important feature.  Kodi does not appear to have that. 

Another WMC advantage is I do not need to rename recorded TV shows to get metadata.  For example when recording Seinfeld series from the antenna, the file is automatically named "Seinfeld_KICUH_2015_07_29_22_30_00.wtv" but in WMC recorded TV browser it shows

"Seinfeld"  "The Yada Yada"

and it gives a few sentences of description of the episode.

plus it shows a small photo of a scene in the episode.

In Kodi all I see is the unhelpful file name when the files are put into the Video folder.

Then i moved the files to the WMC Recorded TV folder.  Now Kodi shows the episode name and description. 

Edited by xrqp

Guardian Hope

Well it depends. I use a cable card so Kodi is out of the question because some channels are copy once. In Kodi channel changing is a little sluggish and depending on the backend you don't get reliable timeshifting without introducing major lag. It also just isn't as nice looking and easy to use as it is in WMC. I am cool with using the two software because they both have their strengths and weeknesses. Try it out and see if it works for you.

I thought there were ways around the "Copy Once" flag because I know TiVo - at least in the old days, had to get around "Copy Once" and most DVRs or Video Media Servers as Verizon likes to call them really just ignore that flag.

That's the only issue with Kodi really is that M-Card (they don't actually do Cable Cards anymore) is a no-go from my understanding. One of the better parts of Media Center I might add.

xnappo

No, Tivo does not ignore the flag, neither does any other DVR. It is just that Verizon doesn't (until recently) set the flag on many channels. TWC sets it on almost all channels.

e123enitan

I had meant to post about my WMC/Kodi integration (I suffer from TWC CCI-itis) but didn't think there was much interest.  I am using a similar from a functionality point of view, but totally AutoHotKey solution - if anyone is interested I can post details.  AutoHotKey knows checks which app is open, so things like 30-second skip do different things depending..

@@Deihmos - I (auto)rename non-CCI recordings to .mpg and then have WMC as a Kodi player for .wtv files.

yes Pls post steps, can't wait  :D

Edited by e123enitan