No livetv - refreshing guide??!

speechles

bYsdjHx.png

I have "NO" live-tv views, plugins, or other. So why is this task spawning?

Can this "refresh guide" task get killed somehow? It doesn't appear in scheduled tasks, so appears not. Pressing the circled X does stop it eventually, faster than letting it figure it out on its own does. But why is it appearing at all? There is no way to control when this happens, or conversely so it never happens. It only appears on the main "server" view as a running task. Why is it happening at all when there is no live-tv??! This is very annoying as it causes the roku to stop responding for long periods of time until that task figures out it doesn't need to be running and kills itself.

Edited by speechles

plazma

If you goto the server management page, tasks, click on the refresh live tv guide and remove any triggers).

At least the options there in the latest beta for me.

Edited by plazma

The point was more, why do I need to do anything? I have no live-tv, period. Regardless of anything else, the server should be smarter than the user and act accordingly, meaning, there should be no livetv settings visible to me. Why would I have to go into a setting like that? Oh btw, if you dont use livetv the server is too stupid to know it and you have to untick some things manually to make it aware. Is that what you mean? So my question is more, why can't it be smarter than this and know what is installed, and not act in ridiculous fashion running a guide refresh on non-existant livetv?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

plazma

Because emby is a work in progress, its constantly evolving and getting better.

The point you made is valid the scheduled task triggers for live tv should not exist by default and only get generated once a live tv plugin is installed, that is if having them there is validated to cause such a bug when no live tv plugin is being used.

Have you ever tried to install, just to test a live tv plugin in the past (then removed), as it maybe it does work like above (just its not removing triggers post live tv plugin removal (which is something that could be an easy fix).

Also if your running the beta or dev branch and having this issue you need to understand that in doing so your going to run into bugs, at which point you can play your part in helping to make emby even better by making friendly suggestions and reporting bugs.

If your seeing this and running the normal version and never previously tried to install a live tv plugin its probably a valid bug and well spotted by your part. If you run the normal version and did previously install a live tv plugin and then removed it, if so which one. Like I said my expectation would be triggers would then be removed on uninstall and didn't.

As for not showing a live tv setting page, it makes more sense to me logically to show it and then say no plugin or what ever, this way someone who does install it knows where to expect to find the settings once a plugin installed. Personally I don't use the device sync feature, but im happy for the config page to be there. Most server backend management systems follow the same ethos.

If your running beta or dev, suck it up, report the issue and im sure its something that will be addressed at a speed that's relevant to its severity.

And as you now know you can remove the triggers to stop it trying and have a workaround why stress it, lifes to short to spend it stressing ;-)

I'm not new. So 90% of your post is for anybody else. Ive been using this since mb2 days, so yeah, no need to post like I've got 0 posts, and asked my first ever question. Jeez.. Ya feel me.. Superiority complex much? Cuz certainly there is simply a question here, with a bug, that needs some fixing. Not the universe explained and how gravity works. Cuz man.. So off topic.. But let's digresss shall we.. Cuz man..

No, I've never installed livetv because, like I said I don't have it. I primarily use the roku, and when it starts misbehaving on the roku client it points to the server (when it is the roku clients fault I am adept enough at bright script by now to fix it myself) usually as the problem. Low and behold, the unresponsiveness and lag is because its busy on that guide refresh..

Dev, beta, or stable branch I'm on, is like asking my skin color. What relevance does that have to my question?

@@Luke, I know you will address this and thanks when you do so. :)

Edited by speechles

Happy2Play

If I had to guess I bet it is related to "Upcoming".

I see the same thing without any live tv also.

If I had to guess I bet it is related to "Upcoming".

I see the same thing without any live tv also.

If that is the case, why is it always at 0% and never moves from that? It is just every time my roku gets laggy/unresponsive its that "refresh guide" task running, which no scheduled task to go along with it. It just looks absurdly out of place when it happens. Like maybe some wires got crossed, and any moment the server is about to do that dreaded "lockup of death/(LoD)". The one where no client can connect, and on the roku it just throws up PIN numbers at you. Im sure you know the LoD I am talking about. ;)

Happy2Play

I know what you are saying.  Looking at previous logs it is triggered every 4 hours.

plazma

The relevance is, if your running beta or dev expect bugs, that's what they are there for, so people can test and report.

If its stable branch it maybe something that's already fixed up stream, but anyone reporting bugs for any software its common practice to mention the version/build so the above is known....

Knowing you never installed live tv (as I asked) lets luke and the team know where and what to look for and would possibly needs a tweak.

As for my first statement im sorry if you took this the wrong way or personally remember the responses here maybe to yourself/myself but were are not the only two here and are likely to read.

Because I pre empted your reponses and covered more than one answer and as you said some of it may not have had direct relevance, but it may help others, I try to bear this in mind when I respond to anyone in such a situation. Why help one person when you can potentially help more.

Again I wouldn't take it so personally, chillax :-)

@@plazma, the relevance being? Server version really doesn't matter in regards to this issue. It may well, when it is addressed. It hasn't been so far though eh? I don't need help, it is a bug issue being reported so I don't get the whole side-tracking my post with some explanation for others. It is a bug report thread. Perhaps irrelevant now as I post this, maybe luke already addressed it. If so, he may need to circle the wagons back to this thread and make a mention of it in this thread at some later date. If others had same thing, chime in... So yeah, excuse me waiter, there is a fly in my soup. Its not saying the soup is bad, or the waiters service was poor. Its simply pointing out a bug. Thats what imma tryin' to do here. I assuming this is a bug.

Also...

Who says I'm not "chillaxed" bro? You tryin' to insinuate there should be problems, and you are the problem solver? If so, you need to have experienced the problem I mentioned or why else is this relevant to other people? It is only relevant if you do not use live-tv. Otherwise, they won't ever experience the bug and therefore it never is an issue to them. This is all. No reason to chillax, or relax, or chill, or any version of such. Saying that at the end just makes you look like you are trolling. So my suggestion is to just move along I guess yo.. ;D

plazma

I think others can draw there own conclusions here for the evidence.

You asked questions, I provided answers, did I once attempt to attack your character, i would not lower myself to that level.

Edited by plazma

edited? i missed your lowering of yourself to that level I guess.

/me moves along ... <3

Happy2Play

There is not way to delete the task because the server repopulates it.

C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\data\ScheduledTasks\3c6a16ed-7db8-28ba-eb3b-b3c1cff74810.js

Why is this task installed by default if it for Live TV?

I installed ServerWMC as workaround suggested and that did give me "Refresh Guide" in scheduled tasks so I can delete the triggers.  But all that really does is create a custom trigger in C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\config\ScheduledTasks.

So another workaround so you don't have to install and restart, uninstall and restart is to create the js file in *\config\ScheduledTasks folder with brackets like this, without quotes"[]".

*Might have to create *\config\ScheduledTasks folder if you don't already have any customized tasks.

example

55a6a83997338_killtask.jpg

I personally don't have an issue with this but does raise questions on why tasks are running for no reason.

Edited by Happy2Play

%AppData%\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\config\

livetv.xml

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<LiveTvOptions xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <GuideDays xsi:nil="true" />
</LiveTvOptions>

Changing the above "true" to "false" solves the riddle. Adding serverwmc to address this is not the workaround. Edit that file and narf the guidedays to false is. That is all. Why this is true by default confuses the hell out of me.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

%AppData%\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\config\

livetv.xml

Changing the above "true" to "false" solves the riddle. Adding serverwmc to address this is not the workaround. Edit that file and narf the guidedays to false is. That is all. Why this is true by default confuses the hell out of me.

I see this file on my machines that are old installs, but my test machine with new install doesn't contain that file and guide still ran.

Edited by Happy2Play

Default is true. So in lack of this file, it may become true and run. Perhaps? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Happy2Play

Hmm changing the value to false and restarting the server didn't change anything for me.  The log still showed service running at startup. 

But using the custom scheduled task prevent service from running at startup according to the logs.