Help test new Android video player

Luke

Just check your play store for updates. 2.3.79

Ok Thanks

I did tested various movies and the subtitles menu show me the external subtitles, but when i select it, the subtitles does not appears

Emby App 2.3.79 last version

Android 4.3

Galaxy S3

Ok Thanks

I did tested various movies and the subtitles menu show me the external subtitles, but when i select it, the subtitles does not appears

Emby App 2.3.79 last version

Android 4.3

Galaxy S3

is it transcoding or direct stream?

all of them are Direct stream

can you do me a favor and try one that is transcoded? i think i know what it is but just want to confirm. thanks.

can you do me a favor and try one that is transcoded? i think i know what it is but just want to confirm. thanks.

Ok Sure give me a minutes please

yes, when the movie is transcoded the subtitles are showed

yes, when the movie is transcoded the subtitles are showed

Thank you. I know what it is. I'll get 2.3.80 out and it will be resolved. Thanks.

For now you have to check in the server dashboard. I'll try to get it added to the app soon.

Have to say, the new player is playing great for me. The old one crashed constantly. The official vlc for android has always been buggy for me too, so it's even more of a surprise. :)

Any chance of adding tap to pause/play when the controls are up? That's the only thing I miss from using MXPlayer.

Also, just curious; sense its based on vlc now, does it direct play all formats if it's set to max bit rate?

Edited by Sek0n

thefirstofthe300

Have to say, the new player is playing great for me. The old one crashed constantly. The official vlc for android has always been buggy for me too, so it's even more of a surprise. :)

Any chance of adding tap to pause/play when the controls are up? That's the only thing I miss from using MXPlayer.

Also, just curious; sense its based on vlc now, does it direct play all formats if it's set to max bit rate?

Pause/play is actually always a double tap just FYI.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Pause/play is actually always a double tap just FYI.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yup, I know that. Not the same thing though.

Mine may be a unique scenario, but I use it when at the gym. If I decide to do something active, like a bike, run, or whatever that makes you move a lot, the quick double tap doesn't work that well. It usually triggers one of the swipe gestures, which is really annoying. lol

Edited by Sek0n

pünktchen

Updated to the official release with vlc engine today and was really anxious of it because all the positiv feedback about direct streaming here. Yes the new player reacts really fast and seems to be very stable so far, BUT for me nearly every video gets transcoded, even a simple mpeg2 sd video with 2 channel mp2 audio.

I'm not sure, but it seems like every video with a bitrate higher than 4Mbps gets transcoded. That's what the server dashboard shows. Always transcoding to 4Mbps no matter what quality i choose in the Android app/player.

The streaming limit at the server is set to 15Mbps! So what's going on here?

On a temporary basis, yes that is correct. The current Vlc release has some stuttering problems with 1080p high bitrate h264. I believe this will be resolved in the upcoming Vlc release which is a major rewrite for android, and once it's out we'll update to the latest libraries.

In the meantime we can probably improve it to only limit to 4mbps for the specific scenarios that we know Vlc has trouble with. Unfortunately we don't have enough data to do that right now, so releasing something that just works was the top priority.

But yes when all is said and done, bitrate will be the only factor that determines transcoding, or not.

pünktchen

Okay, i understand the 1080p issue although the standalone vlc app plays them fine on my tablet. But what about my mpeg2video with a resolution of 720x576, why this one gets transcoded?

Edited by pünktchen

We can probably improve it to only limit to 4mbps for the specific scenarios that we know Vlc has trouble with. Unfortunately we don't have enough data to do that right now.

pünktchen

We can probably improve it to only limit to 4mbps for the specific scenarios that we know Vlc has trouble with. Unfortunately we don't have enough data to do that right now.

Sorry for being so stupid today! But i have a hard time to understand what you are trying say. How does it work when it's not the bitrate nor the resolution. Does the vlc engine say, hey i don't like that video file that's why you have to transcode it first?

pünktchen

Ah, now i got it!!! You have set the limit to 4Mbps - to be on the safe side! So i will wait patiently for further updates.

Thank you. I know what it is. I'll get 2.3.80 out and it will be resolved. Thanks.

Hi Luke

I have 2.3.80, but still when direct stream te external substitles does not appears, when i reduce te quality to for expample 480p to force transcode then the subtitle apears

regards

Hi, I detect on the other hand,

stuttering audio and pixelated video, either 720p 1080p direct stream both below 4Mb bitrate

also when I change the quality or forward video, the application crash, I sent reports from the app when this happened

version App 2.3.80

Android 4.3

galaxy S3

regards

Edited by AM S1

bwaldron

I am also seeing lots of my videos (all are mp4/aac) being transcoded where the older engine direct streamed them. VLC as an external program plays them fine, so that's what I'm using for now.