playback stuttering with 3.0.5667.6

podrae

jmgriffes

thanks. will check into it.

I appreciate that Luke. In no way will it make me leave Emby, it's just a minor inconvenience.

You da man.

DGMayor

Add me to the list.  I had posted about it in the Alpha Area but had totally missed this thread.    My playback is great until I pause.  I can pause for a few seconds or for 20 minutes, doesn't matter.  Playback will start again and then maybe a minute in, it will start stuttering every few seconds.  I stop and resume and it's fine again.

I have also seen the issue where the timecode was past the length of the video, but I haven't encountered that on the latest version, just the previous beta.

(Side note that the post in the Alpha Area mentions an issue when hitting resume which seems to have been resolved.)

Edited by DGMayor

• 3 weeks later...
jmgriffes

thanks. will check into it.

Luke,

I've still been experiencing the stuttering issue with the Web Client on Server version 3.0.5675.1. I happened upon something interesting.

​The stuttering issue was occurring while I was using Chrome (I only user other browsers when absolutely necessary), but I was also only using Chrome 32-bit (default Install from Google). I installed the 64-bit version of Chrome just to test with, and I have paused and resumed many times (just for the last hour tonight) with no stuttering or issues at all.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Well, just kidding... I just ran an extended pause test, same issue cropped up. Massive stuttering, video is completely un-watchable, ends with the video stopping completely with no playback after many long stuttering pauses.

Edited by jmgriffes

• 3 weeks later...

The symptoms seem to be similar to the following:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/20786-emby-server-buffering-issue-using-chrome/
http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/23768-web-client-buffering-video

I believe it started around the time that Viblast was implemented. Before Viblast was implemented Chrome would create a single webm file in \transcoding-temp folder and playback would be smooth but now with Viblast in the latest server versions you will find that Chrome creates a series of .ts files in \transcoding-temp. It seems that lower bandwidth users are not able to keep up but I am not sure about that yet.

@@DGMayor @@jmgriffes @@mriksman or anyone experiencing similar issues. For testing purposes and not as a solution if you would be interested in seeing if performance improves attempt the following:

Edit the file "Server\System\dashboard-ui\scripts\mediaplayer.js" and find the line that says 

return window.MediaSource != null;

and change it to

return false;

This will make Chrome create the webm file instead of a series of .ts files which I believe bypasses Viblast. Again this is NOT a solution but just to see if this makes any difference. I found that doing this the lag/stutter disappears.

Edited by Guy

• 1 month later...
jhoff80

The symptoms seem to be similar to the following:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/20786-emby-server-buffering-issue-using-chrome/

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/23768-web-client-buffering-video

I believe it started around the time that Viblast was implemented. Before Viblast was implemented Chrome would create a single webm file in \transcoding-temp folder and playback would be smooth but now with Viblast in the latest server versions you will find that Chrome creates a series of .ts files in \transcoding-temp. It seems that lower bandwidth users are not able to keep up but I am not sure about that yet.

@@DGMayor @@jmgriffes @@mriksman or anyone experiencing similar issues. For testing purposes and not as a solution if you would be interested in seeing if performance improves attempt the following:

Edit the file "Server\System\dashboard-ui\scripts\mediaplayer.js" and find the line that says 

return window.MediaSource != null;

and change it to

return false;

This will make Chrome create the webm file instead of a series of .ts files which I believe bypasses Viblast. Again this is NOT a solution but just to see if this makes any difference. I found that doing this the lag/stutter disappears.

Is this still working for you?  I've been observing a ton of stuttering when using HLS (especially for Chrome users) as well, but I tried to make this change and it didn't appear to do anything.

jmgriffes

Is this still working for you?  I've been observing a ton of stuttering when using HLS (especially for Chrome users) as well, but I tried to make this change and it didn't appear to do anything.

Since a few server versions ago (without this modification) I've had literally no problems with streaming in Chrome.

jhoff80

Since a few server versions ago (without this modification) I've had literally no problems with streaming in Chrome.

Hmm, interesting.  I've been seeing lots of freezing lately.  But then, something else might be wrong on my end too, because lately some of my clients take a good 20 seconds or so before ffmpeg actually even starts the transcode process.

Edited by jhoff80