Social Media Sharing

pir8radio

pir8radio

I know this feature was added in the latest Emby...  But I would like to be able to share actual media... (wait keep reading please) 

I understand your worry about sharing movies and music, but I would like to be able to share my personal videos...  A personal youtube of sorts...  I have just started playing with a drone I bought that does 4k video..  Pretty neat to share those 4k videos but I can't upload them directly to face book or youtube because they are so large (have to convert and what not).  And I like the idea that you can choose your trans-coding options through my emby server as well as customize my "cover art" and descriptions.     

I don't know a way around this that wont be abused and used for commercial movies.   Maybe sharing actual media that doesn't have database matches?   Or maybe you can only share media video that is under a certain length? like 10 mins?   Just a thought, love the new stable version that just came out.  3.0.5667.6

Edited by pir8radio

Thanks :) I'd be open to doing if we can find a way to prevent abuse. easier said than done though obviously.

techywarrior

I don't know a way around this that wont be abused and used for commercial movies.

I think this is going to be the main issue (and I see Luke just posted while I was typing this).

Even deciding on a method to be used would need to be vetted by whatever legal counsel Emby has. Does limiting it to files that don't have a IMDB match count as enough of a prevention? etc.

I suspect that the only way to guarantee it isn't abused is by matching the file against some sort of file fingerprint database to compare it to known movies/tv/music but I don't know if that even exists, and if it does how feasible it would be.

pir8radio

I think this is going to be the main issue (and I see Luke just posted while I was typing this).

Even deciding on a method to be used would need to be vetted by whatever legal counsel Emby has. Does limiting it to files that don't have a IMDB match count as enough of a prevention? etc.

I suspect that the only way to guarantee it isn't abused is by matching the file against some sort of file fingerprint database to compare it to known movies/tv/music but I don't know if that even exists, and if it does how feasible it would be.

Well I don't think its really an emby legal issue...    More of an "image" issue..    I think it's just that the emby team doesn't want to be known as the file sharing software...   Its kind of like IIS  sure i have an IIS webserver but microsoft doesn't cripple their server from serving up movies. When the legal $hit hits the fan its going to be on that person running the server.   I reckon emby connect complicates that though..      :huh:      I still like the idea of being able to share video under 10 or 15 minuets long.Thanks for the responses guys... and not beating me up for asking lol...          

Sorry, but IMO this is just too dangerous.  There are real legal issues for us involved but, even if you were to skirt that with whatever mumbo jumbo you could, just the image would be a big enough problem as any of the app stores could simply decide they won't allow us on their platforms.

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

LOL I didn't click the link.  I figured it was to some product with a similar feature not the predictable resulting lawsuit.  I withdraw my suggestion on how to make the feature a big enough pain to use that people would be less likely to use it to share illegal content :)

pir8radio

agreed but what i was saying is youtube is hosting this content of course they will be the one to get sued, Emby content is hosted on my server, so I would get sued not emby...  But still  i gotcha,  you don't even want to deal with the headache,  I wont ask again LOL..   I've never noticed the big red DECLINED icon for the feature requests...  I feel bad now...   :unsure:

Edited by pir8radio