Can this order be changed?

gjviii

gjviii

55a1282ba2a6e_Capture.png

Can this order be changed?    I would like Shows to be first in this list.  So when I click on tvshows from my home screen, it would land on the shows page instead of the suggestions page.

thank you

• Like 1

lokiii

Can this order be changed?    I would like Shows to be first in this list.  So when I click on tvshows from my home screen, it would land on the shows page instead of the suggestions page.

thank you

I'm also very interested in this !!! :)

Koleckai Silvestri

You can't change this with CSS only. You would also need Javascript and/or HTML. I would like to be able to change it as well. I want Shows to be the first option in the list here and Movies when looking at Movie libraries.

• Like 1

Yes, you can modify the web client html directly and do whatever you want. There are two ways to approach it. However, there are drawbacks to both methods. Actually, at this point, I don't recommend either, but here they are anyway:

The first way is to go into your Emby/Media Browser install directory and find the System/dashboard-ui/tvshows.html file. The first div has the display in your screencap - rearrange it however you want. Note the class "ui-btn-active" you need to keep that (and the href) consistent, so you need to move the entire line, not just the text. Once you are happy, make a note of all the href's in that div - each one of those files has a similar div, just with the current page using the # link and ui-btn-active class. You will need to rearrange each to your liking.

Unfortunately, you aren't done just yet - the link on Home will still point to Recommended. To fix that, find the librarybrowser.js file and search it for "tvrecommended.html" to find the specific line where the link is built. I found it at line 747, but that is likely to change. No surprise, you change this to "tvshows.html" and you should be good to go.

So, the drawback is that the next update will wipe out these changes. Every time you get a new version, you will have to find and edit the impacted files.

The second option, that doesn't have the same drawback is to copy the dashboard-ui folder somewhere and make the changes listed above. Then you can go to Manage Server -> Advanced -> Developer Options -> Web client source path and use the new location. As I mentioned, your changes won't disappear during updates, but that is because your web client will never be updated without manual intervention. You will have to manually maintain your web client as Emby changes to include new features or bug fixes in the client.

Disclaimer: I messed around with this quite a few versions ago and decided it wasn't worth the hassle compared to what result I was getting. This means the above hasn't actually been tested and no warranty is promised here! Hopefully someone better versed will correct any mistakes I made.

Edited by Raff

Koleckai Silvestri

The problem with modifying the HTML files directly is that when you do an update, which can be frequently depending on your build level, you lose all customizations. In the long run, you'll get into a cycle of coding the system instead of enjoying videos.

Storing the order in an XML file or giving us the ability to add our own custom Javascript would allow these to be customized but not overwritten on every single update. Using an XML file with display orders would allow developers and plugin authors to edit the menus easier as well.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri
  • Like 2

Storing the order in an XML file or giving us the ability to add our own custom Javascript would allow these to be customized but not overwritten on every single update. Using an XML file with display orders would allow developers and plugin authors to edit the menus easier as well.

Not bad ideas - you may want to find the Feature Request related to this and add it to the discussion.

As I mentioned the drawbacks were IMO bigger than the utility. In the case of TV shows, for the most part recommending the next episode is a pretty good default for me. I went looking more for Movies, but the approach should work. This question comes up a lot, so I thought it would be useful to outline a solution.

The problem with modifying the HTML files directly is that when you do an update, which can be frequently depending on your build level, you lose all customizations. In the long run, you'll get into a cycle of coding the system instead of enjoying videos.

There is a feature request around here somewhere asking for custom javascript like we have custom css.

Now that the mobile apps share a lot of code with the web client, I would suspect that Luke has some of these types of configuration options on his radar (order of things, initial landing spots, etc.) but they will probably come after things have stabilized a bit more.

• 1 year later...