Emby can't access second hard drive

raddyroro
Go to solution Solved by geaves,

raddyroro

Hello everyone, I put all my DVD's, CD's and home movies onto a server about a year ago so that We could clean up the house and store everything in one place. Back then I was running Linux Mint Petra with Plex as my media server choice, it was the only one I knew about. I kept coming up with problems with read/write permissions whenever I updated to Ubuntu or a newer version of Linux Mint, so I just decided not to touch it, and it worked for the most part for a long time. After a while, Petra fell out of support and I was no longer able to update my system. I recently decided to install elementary OS (based on Ubuntu 14.04) and make the switch to Emby.

I was able to successfully install Emby but I am still encountering problems with permissions, the same problems I had with Plex. When adding folders where my Movies and such are located, Emby can only go as far as the drive, but it cannot see anything in the drive itself. (Picture:post-55052-0-06801100-1436418473_thumb.png) I run my OS on a separate hard drive from where I store my media.  
This can be seen in the screen-shots attached. Currently my storage drive is assigned to emby as the primary user, with all permissions, yet it cannot find anything inside the drive itself. (Picture:post-55052-0-90023600-1436418392_thumb.png) This is the exact same problem I was encountering with Plex and I was unable to fix it no matter what I did. I was wondering if you had problems like this before or had solutions that I never thought of. Please let me know if you have any questions, since I have not provided all the information. It is really aggravating since I have tried everything, installed multiple versions of three different distros, and tried both Plex and Emby, none of it working.

geaves

As a quick reference Emby needs to 'see' the second hard drive...i.e. it needs to be mounted, to mount the drive using a file browser such as nemo or nautilus is not enough as Emby will not 'see' it.

There is an excellent 3 part video on you tube 'installing a second hard drive on linux part 1' by Chris Walker which explains this (if I post the link it embeds the video), whilst this is being used on a virtual machine  the concept and setup within the 3 parts will resolve what you are trying to achieve. These videos show how to do this using putty, remoting in from another machine, but you would do this from a terminal window.

Hope this helps.

raddyroro

Thanks for the help so far, I have manged to mount the hard drive automatically via fstab (see picture below)559ebd1994b1b_Screenshotfrom201507091126, but emby still fails to 'see' the hard drive. It is currently assigned to my group, which the emby user is in, so it should have RWX permissions. It can see that there is a hard drive there, but it still fails to find any of the folders inside.

Edited by raddyroro

• Solution
geaves

You'll need to create a an fstab entry for each of your media folders so...../dev/sbd1 /media/roman/Storage/<Media Folder Name> and so on it should then work.

• Like 1

Ryangodammit

I'm having the same issue with my external usb drive, although it seems to mounted fine within ubuntu. It's just Emby can't see it.

Is it something to do with path substitution?

geaves

I'm having the same issue with my external usb drive, although it seems to mounted fine within ubuntu. It's just Emby can't see it.

Is it something to do with path substitution?

That's because you'll need to point Emby to the external USB, so you've set up say Movies on Emby, browse to the USB device by locating / this is the 'root' of your file structure, scroll down till you find media, you should see your username open that and you should see the usb drive, open that and select the folder your movies are in.

As an example I have connected a USB drive to my mint box, and the path for Emby would be /media/geoff/HD-LUX3/Home/Movies, but this is a backup device for me but it will give you an idea of where to find the USB drive within the file structure.

Ryangodammit

That's what I was doing, but I could only get as far as seeing the name of the drive, not what's inside it.

I remember reading once about needing NFTS drivers for linux, could this be the case? If so, how come my Kodi can see inside the drive- also I can browse the drive within ternimal

geaves

That's what I was doing, but I could only get as far as seeing the name of the drive, not what's inside it.

I remember reading once about needing NFTS drivers for linux, could this be the case? If so, how come my Kodi can see inside the drive- also I can browse the drive within ternimal

Then you will need to add an fstab entry to point to the directory you want Emby to access, this is the same as the first post here, whilst the system can access the drive from say a file browser, Emby can not.

An explanation as to why Kodi can is here http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/23055-cant-add-shares/?p=226364 whilst this is specific for SMB shares it's the same for a connected USB.

This guide may also help, I don't know, whilst this is for a server option is does explain how you can mount the drive during boot up, however if yours is the desktop version then usually these USB drives will auto mount.

TBH I'm still new to Linux myself and I spend a lot of time, sometimes too much, just googling for a solution, and some of the knowledge in here is priceless. It took me some time to get Emby to locate my SMB shares but thanks to some help on here and some searching on Linux itself I found the answer.

I'm sorry if not much help but I'm a newbie at this myself and I know how frustrating it can get.

Edited by geaves

• 3 months later...

Hi Raddyroro,

Just trying to set up Emby on a few different linux distros and so far have had no success, was about to try it on Elementary OS, did you use the Ubuntu installation script?