mixed content collection

dylanrellis

dylanrellis

hey all

I have a mixed content collection which has a few sub directories for things like docos, ufc, bellator and just random stuff that I don't need metadata for. it used to be set as a home videos collection but I noticed some shows that are in its own subfolder show up as a blank thumbnail. utorrent auto downloads my current stuff and sometimes it comes in a folder, manually taking it out of its folder kinda trumps the point of automating it. I noticed clicking on the blank folder icon brings up the play screen as if it was a straight up file so displaying a thumb should be doable. having the collection set as mixed mode solves the problem and makes all the shows display with a thumbnail.

but the problem now is that in mbt the latest shows appear on the front menu alongside recent movies and also in the all movies list, the thumbnails being displayed along side movie covers looks kinda sucky. is there any other collection mode that would still show a thumbnail image for shows in a folder but keep them away from the movies? or any other method?

I really cant give up my automated downloading, I have sickbeard for series, utorrent rrs for ufc/bellator and the missus/couchpotato for movies lolz.

I basically want everything to appear with a thumbnail or cover, and they way mbs grabs a thumb for anything that doesn't have art is what got me hooked, hate seeing blank stuff popping up.

you need to use a collection type other than mixed, and other than movies. this will keep those items out of the movie view.

dylanrellis

thx, thought that would be the answer. I know home videos collection wont show thumbs for files that are nested in its own folder. is there any others that will? just tried music videos but it downloaded metadata so I had to remove n clean the library out. the shows are downloaded automatically so manually removing folders or adding images isn't doable.

I've always had a "Special Interest" category on MB where I store documentaries, full music concert blu-rays, etc., so I'm also interested in this topic. I also want to keep those out of my main Movies collection. I used "Home Videos" as the selection type for mine too, and while it works, it would be great if we could create a whole new top-level category parallel to the "Movies" and "TV" on the main MBT section.

A basic way to do it would be to add the option to add a new content type, such as Home Videos, and add a checkbox option to have it appear on the main MBT page. It would allow someone to add, say, "Documentaries" and select to have it appear as its own full category, giving them: Movies, TV, Documentaries, Collections. The documentaries wouldn't be mixed in with the movies.

Edited by Dempsey

dylanrellis

that would be really nice I just tried music videos again but I was sneaky this time I set up the collection but before adding an actual media location I went in and disabled metadata downloading for that collection then I added the files. still downloaded metadata, so then I disabled metadata for each sub directory and its still happening lol I don't know what to do.

your idea to make home videos generate a thumbnail is way better tho and im sure it would be nice for many home video users.

Edited by dylanrellis

dylanrellis

ok due to the awesomeness that is mediabrowser I have decided to restructure my random videos folder and convert each sub directory / category into their own collections with metadata, with the sexy new theatre app why not? 

I plan on using the music videos collection option to keep them away from my movies/tv series. my concern is that if MBT ends up having a front panel thingy like for movies and tv shows for music videos that it will all show up there. probably not a huge problem but would look odd being branded as music videos. unless those "top" menus were to be renameable.

so is it safe to go ahead with music video collections or?

safer to make them adult videos. music videos will be mixed into to the music section on the front page, ultimately.

dylanrellis

Yeah that's what I suspected, the adult option is a good idea. I just did a test with the music videos option with a folder of kids movies some in a folder and some not. All went well except for the ones not in a folder, it only downloaded one fanart.jpg instead of moviename-fanart for each like it did with posters. Not sure if I missed something or?

dylanrellis

im an idiot utorrent rss downloader always creates a subfolder its only my older stuff that isn't.... so I'll just set it all to folders with metadata, problem solved. sorry for the drama.