everything is awesome but no DRM!?

kluc11
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

kluc11

So I finally decided to replace my HTPC running WMC, looked at couple options mainly focusing on utilizing EMBY on amazon fire Tv which appears to be my best option at the moment. 

Tested the following setup:

virtual machine running windows 7 with WMC, serverWMC and emby server - utilizing HomeRun Prime

also tried embytv plugin with schedules direct instead of serverWMC.

My client is FireTV Stick

Findings so far:

- embyTV plugin works pretty good (better than serverwmc)

- emby on firetv stick works OK, performance is not where I would like it to be so if I stay with this setup I will probably upgrade to fireTV (not the stick)

Issues:

- emby client on firetv stick needs to be killed periodically because it stops responding (this could be because I'm on a heavily utilized wifi) switching to actual firetv instead of the stick will probably help a lot as I would be on a wired connection and would have more horse power on the device

- SHOWSTOPPER: DRM channels DO NOT WORK! - interesting thing is that whenever ppl here talk about DRM they use HBO as an example, in my case most of my channels are DRM (I'm on time warner cable in WI) so basically the whole setup becomes useless. 

Personally, I can completely switch to firetv and ditch cable but my wife can't so have to come up with something (my couch is not that comfortable).

Looked at WMC extenders like CETON ECHO - looks interesting but kind of expensive ($180) and requires staying on WMC which I was trying to avoid. Also, read something about HomeRun DVR project but I don't think it's been released yet...

Question is: what are my options if I want to be able to watch DRM channels, preferably on EMBY or Kodi?

thanks in advance

• Solution

Question is: what are my options if I want to be able to watch DRM channels, preferably on EMBY or Kodi?

At this moment your only option is WMC.  They are the only ones that went the whole nine yards on implementing protected content.

The new DVR from Silicon Dust is hoping to but I'm not sure it is going to in the first release and it may be limited to certain devices.

• Like 1

PhilWhite

Depending on which channels you watch you could ditch cable and use Sling TV.  Channel selection is limited and you can't record, but there are on demand offerings for many of the channels (including HBO).  Works fairly well on Fire TV (it's own app), don't know about the Fire Stick.  But I also have everything wired, may not work as well over wifi.  It's certainly a lot cheaper than cable, but there are limitations.

The biggest drawback is lack of local programming, so the big three networks are not on Sling.  But that is why I have an antenna and use Emby TV to watch and record OTA; I'm also playing with the HDHR offering which looks promising.

• Like 1

kluc11

thanks for your responses, Sling doesn't have the channels I watch and it's kind of expensive for what they offer. I will stick with WMC for now and wait for HDHR DVR which looks promising. Thanks again.