Why is the Emby Interface so ugly?

rkariff

rkariff

I was just curious. Is there ever going to be an update for the Roku that isn't so ugly. I love the Web Interface. I wish the Emby Channel for the Roku was a little more aesthetically pleasing.

• Is it just not a priority?
  • Is it possible with the Roku?
  • Is it too hard to program?

Just curious, really. I'm not trying to be mean. It would be amazing if the front-end was as gorgeous as the back-end is powerful.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Allan Cameron

I was just curious. Is there ever going to be an update for the Roku that isn't so ugly. I love the Web Interface. I wish the Emby Channel for the Roku was a little more aesthetically pleasing.

• Is it just not a priority?
  • Is it possible with the Roku?
  • Is it too hard to program?

Just curious, really. I'm not trying to be mean. It would be amazing if the front-end was as gorgeous as the back-end is powerful.

Thanks.

It is indeed possible and i have also asked this question. The emby client uses the OLD roku screens so it looks very dated.. er.. ugly. Plex has revamped the roku client will all NEW screens to give it an awesome new modern UI, its still in the preview stage and for plex pass members only right now, but its perty much complete now all will be officialy released soon im sure. Emby could easly do this as well if they choose to. I was told they were refreshing it.. but who knows when. With the popularty of the roku and wanting to keep Emby/Roku users happy, its gotta happen if they want to keep a strong roku emby combo user base. I use plex right now, but would change over again if given a modern emby experence on the roku. I just keep checkin in to see if anything has changed ;)

See here

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/20696-fresh-new-client-design-for-roku/&do=findComment&comment=201531

Edited by a1b2c3
  • Like 1

im85288

The latest plex roku design features many custom built screens. Roku themselves do not give out an API that makes it easy to design stuff with. This is why the Emby client and the older media browser version look almost identical. I did/have added some custom screens to my version for Emby: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/20385-mb-mediacentre-roku-app/ so that things like having fanart/discart/logo etc are possible.

Anyway my main point here is that UI making for the roku is painful, not many people get to the custom screen design stage and I would not be at all surprised if you do not see a refresh until the plex source code is released.

• Like 1

dnicks

^^this.  I don't think the lack of an updated UI has anything to do with Emby devs lack of willingness to make it that way, it has more to do with the fact that working on roku screens is a huge pain.  I believe this says more about roku than emby.