New version Update

CtrlAlt7

soundsnake8

I am planning on sticking with Windows Seven using WMC for DVR and Emby Classic for movies and music ! I have waited with great anticipation since July the post read "weeks not months" for ET. Then in August the post read "by the end of the Month" Now we are in Sept and one post read by the end of the month and not another word except "We will also have a preview teaser of the new Emby Theater soon". Twenty Months and of teasers and no real product. Windows Seven is great for me. "Weeks" have turned into months !

MikeMcEwan

We don't need to turn this into a chore for the developers. Just be patient and Theater will be here before you know it I'm sure.

That said, I can't wait to see it! I hope it can handle large collections smoothly.

• Like 1

pclausen

I can appreciate software development often (if not always) taking longer than initially anticipated, but let's get some teaser screen shots already to tie us over for "a few weeks" longer.   :)

Edited by pclausen

AmericanCrisis

I'm really excited about trying this out... This is the one thing that I think will sufficiently replace WMC and allow me to upgrade to Windows 10 finally.  

AgileHumor

Looking forward to it.  Emby is wirth $1,000+ in features and functionality on how it has enhanced my media consumption in a single solution...and I'm happy to support todays services just as I supported MB2.

With thousands of dollars of worthless technology in my home...Emby just keeps getting better for the costs involved.

pclausen

Will the initial release just replicate the features of the existing version, but just be more stable, prettier and faster?  Or will it attempt to cram in a lot of new features like those in the WMC version?

I hope the former or we will likely be waiting several more months for this.  I think just getting a modernized version out the door with just enough functionality to be able to watch stored movies and TV Shows is the way go to initially.  All that other stuff can be added over time.

Luke are you able to speak to which features / functionality will be in the new release vs. the current one?

danielpugh

being able to see the guide would mean i can ditch kodi and so would be great... and all I would need

a random/playlist button for music would be nice (but not expecting)

iplayer tv streaming and catchup would be amazing  as i could move on from the logitech media server ... (but not expecting)

there are some hints and screenshots going back to 2014 re. osd and subtitles

Edited by danielpugh

bret1958

JLPFLD is right. Old time user and still waiting for a good and solid HTPC app to get the most out of Emby server. 

I think that the wisdom must be (without them saying) is that HTPC is dead. My Theater is important to me and every user of it suffers the pain of the crappy app syndrome, Emby theater and the bugs, Window clients that steal the HD audio and wont give it back, Plex theater that makes us all unpleasantly not in the mood for movies, and KODI made for rocket ship designers, and lays somewhere halfway near Plex. YES alot of us still wait on a clean updated Emby theater app that WORKS. Unfortunately Plex theater does work, but looks like barf, and navigates like a drunk.

• Like 1

pclausen

Yep.  I have a Chromecast and Roku's, but neither comes close to providing the video and audio quality of a good hardwired HTPC.  The Roku (hardwired) is decent once the content is playing, but is limited to 5.1, and the interface leaves a *lot* to be desired.  I fought with the Chromecast for about a week, before giving up on it.  I even upgraded my Wifi network.

I keep seeing almost daily announcements on just about all other client platforms but Theater.  But hopefully they truly are working on an new version.  If there was another platform/device that I could connect to my AV receiver that would deliver up-scaled 4k video and 7.1 loss-less sound tracks, with a nice interface, I'd be all over it, but so far I'm stuck with Theater.  Hopefully our prayers will be answered sometime this year.  There is really no substitute for large 4K displays.

danielpugh

Personally i am fine with 1080p, although hdr/rec. 2020 with oled would be good. Primarily because there are almost no sources. The fist mainstream sources will be streaming e.g. Netlix/amazon which can only be viewed directly from the tv. Downloads and general sources are 1080 and 5.1 is only just becoming common via ac3.

For surround you are (IMHO) best of getting a surround receiver with hdmi2.a/hdcp2.2. Emby or others support this by codec already(to my understanding) and via bitstream/passthrough. last years receivers upwards will upscale to 4k, and this years releases support hdcp2.2 which will allow 4k.

Currently sources are extremely limited. i.e. If you want 4k with 7.1 you need uhd bluray. Coming most likely in the future from netflix (on tv) with ARC to receiver(currently netlix 4k is 5.1 i believe). MS has only (just) added support for 5.1 in browser with windows 10. 7.1 (let alone atmos) for the mainstream is likely to be 5+ years ago. On the otherhand rec.2020 is probably about 2-3 years away as it doesnt need crazy bandwidth and can be added to low res.

Personally i think small incremental improvements that improve theatre are the way to go e.g.

When watching a video the page doesnt update to add the resume option until you go up a level. I had to ff about 5 times manually today (press remote, let go, press remote let go - button repeat missing) - just on one download...

Another example - in web browser there are 100 channels, in theatre there are 6. In web browser there is guide, in theatre nothing.

Still preferring emby theatre to kodi though ;-)

Deathsquirrel

Personally i am fine with 1080p, although hdr/rec. 2020 with oled would be good. Primarily because there are almost no sources.

Lack of source material is one good point.  The fact that standard screen sizes and viewing distances guarantee you cant see the added resolution in most homes is another.  I expect 4k to rocket to the success of home 3D.  It sure is pretty when you stand unnaturally close to the screen though.

techywarrior

Yes, I believe he was being sarcastic since 4k (and 8k) makes little to no difference at the viewing distance and screen size most people have in their living rooms.

It's funny how with the typical living room size seemingly decreasing (due to homes in general decreasing in size) that the media trend is to sell larger and higher quality TVs. At least once the screen size gets large enough you'll get a benefit from 4k. But I find it awekward to try and watch a screen that is larger then center of my field of vision. Who wants to have to pan their head side to side to watch something?!?!

Another amusing thing I find is that the broadcast and streamed TV/Movies are using so much compression that you get terrible artifacts during fast motion, and this is really a worse problem that should be addressed. But "fixing" that doesn't require you to buy a new $2k TV so there isn't as much money in it. Increasing the resolution reduces the problem if you scale the storage media equally, but at that amount of storage you could just reduce/eliminate the compression at 1080. ROFL

pclausen

In my case, I have a 84" 4k TV and sit 9 ft from it.  I'm finding that to be well within my field of vision and do not find myself panning my head from side to side.

My HTPC has a 970 GTX graphics card and I run MadVR with some pretty aggressive settings, scaling everything to 4k before it leaves the HTPC..  My source material is 95% Blu-Ray material converted to MKV with no processing whatsoever.  I just grab the primary video track, best audio track, and rip to MKV using either MakeMKV or MKVToolNix.

Bitrate is king when it comes to video quality.  I have pretty much given up on watching broadcast TV (I have DIrectTV) for anything but news and casual shows.

Chromecast and a Roku 3 are far inferior from a video (and often audio) quality standpoint, compared to a true HTPC, when connected to a large 4k display.  50" and below at 10ft + , they are similar.

Sure, I'm in the minority, but I suspect that within the next 5 years, 70"+ 4K displays will be quite common and affordable.  Nice 4K projectors even more so.

Hopefully by then Emby Theater will have evolved to the point of having a very nice interface on a HTPC.   :D

Edited by pclausen

techywarrior

You are defnitely in the minority with that setup :)

I'm about 8-9' from my 55" TV and I'm trying to visualize having an 84" here. I feel like I would need to scan at least with my eyes back and forth to get the whole scene, or maybe it would be just small enough to not have to. Moot point for me personally anyways because I am constrained physically from putting a larger TV in the space.

While I suspect 4k 70" TVs will be priced low enough for average people to buy them I don't see it happening. Electronics companies I feel will need to try again in order to get people to spend money on upgrades.

Back on topic, I think you will be happy with the direction that the new Emby Theater is taking as far as presentation/UI...

Yup, I know you are all going to love the new Emby Theater. I'm actually really excited about it and it's what i want to be working on more than anything else. The trick is just getting freed up for it. 

• Like 1

pclausen

Awesome!  Really looking forward to it!

Luke, you should tell all your developers to drop everything and focus on getting Emby Theater out the door.  You know, kind of like how Bill Gates told all his programmers to drop everything else and focus on Internet Explorer back in 1995.  :)

AmericanCrisis

Yep.  I have a Chromecast and Roku's, but neither comes close to providing the video and audio quality of a good hardwired HTPC.  The Roku (hardwired) is decent once the content is playing, but is limited to 5.1, and the interface leaves a *lot* to be desired.  I fought with the Chromecast for about a week, before giving up on it.  I even upgraded my Wifi network.

I keep seeing almost daily announcements on just about all other client platforms but Theater.  But hopefully they truly are working on an new version.  If there was another platform/device that I could connect to my AV receiver that would deliver up-scaled 4k video and 7.1 loss-less sound tracks, with a nice interface, I'd be all over it, but so far I'm stuck with Theater.  Hopefully our prayers will be answered sometime this year.  There is really no substitute for large 4K displays.

WMC coupled with MPC-HC and madVR does exactly this and it works phenomenally!!! If Emby theater can replicate this than I'm sold (would be willing to pay big $$ for it as well).  

Yup, I know you are all going to love the new Emby Theater. I'm actually really excited about it and it's what i want to be working on more than anything else. The trick is just getting freed up for it. 

Please tell me that the new theater will support MPC-HC as an external player???

MikeMcEwan

That's great to hear! Thank you for the update

• Like 1

techywarrior

Awesome!  Really looking forward to it!

Luke, you should tell all your developers to drop everything and focus on getting Emby Theater out the door.  You know, kind of like how Bill Gates told all his programmers to drop everything else and focus on Internet Explorer back in 1995.   :)

haha. Luke, I think this guy thinks you have clones of yourself running around :P

bret1958

http://www.htpcbeginner.com/nvidia-shield-tv/

http://shield.nvidia.com/android-tv

is our htpc going to be this ?

I still wait for Emby Theater..as I am a stubborn and I know my problem is I'm overly picky...... I turned to theater as for me the interface is tastefully done and have always been happy with its presentation. I think if all the Mobile hadn't jumped in we would be there.

The frustration begins when all hell breaks loose and nothing works... and I have 10 eyes looking at me as to why... ( they want their movie and could care less about why the server just pissed or Emby Theater threw an error)

But again with a $200 box like this is why I think the HTPC is coming to a close. I hope the team ports it to these new and upcoming little power houses.

I have seen nothing on the windows app or mobile that impresses me so emby theater when it comes will be a joy.. and then a few of these guys.. to throw in the mix.. Cuz I'm not in the mood to spring for a 4k projector for at least a few years as my PT-AE8000u hooked to the PC is for me a prefect setup for the theater I have, I don't need or care for 4k in there. In the living room yes.. but for a dedicated Theater I will wait for Luke's App.

BTW what a great little back up device to turn on and stream (or hopefully direct play) quality stuff in 7.1 digital..

I think Luke has another job to look forward to... :)

Edited by bret1958

pclausen

WMC coupled with MPC-HC and madVR does exactly this and it works phenomenally!!! If Emby theater can replicate this than I'm sold (would be willing to pay big $$ for it as well).  

True, but I'm running Windows 10 on my HTPC.  I agree on the paying $$ for solid new version of Theater.  I'm already a lifetime member, but will certainly still contribute towards future development.

pclausen

I have been keeping a close eye on the Nvidia Shield every since it was announced.  Almost pulled the trigger on it a couple of times.  If Emby was to support it at some point, it would be a no brainer for me.

Using a full fledged computer can be tricky, especially when I'm not around and other family members are using it.  I have Windows set to auto login and Theater to start up automatically.  So when it misbehaves, pressing the reset button typically cures everything.

This is one area where an appliance device like the Roku (and probably Nvidia Shield), would be better.

• Like 1