New version Update

CtrlAlt7

CtrlAlt7

I was just wondering with Windows 10 around the corner can we expect the new version of Emby Theater to be released soon? Last I heard it was still in alpha testing which was sometime ago.

Just thinking ahead as I currently use Emby for WMC and will not be able to upgrade to Windows 10 as WMC is dead.

Tranquil

Use KODI with EMBY instead. Its AWESOME, believe me!

EDIT:

typo corrected.

Edited by Tranquil

AdrianW

IMO just stick with Emby for WMC. You don't need to have Win 10 on an HTPC. And if you really want to get your free copy of 10, you do have an entire year for Emby Theatre to improve before the upgrade offer expires.

CBers

Use KODI with EMBY instead. Its awful, believe me!

The Emby for Kodi addon just needs an Emby skin and it will be better than Emby Theatre.

• Like 1

AdrianW

The Emby for Kodi addon just needs an Emby skin and it will be better than Emby Theatre.

Yes, but will it be better than Emby for WMC?

CBers

It will in Windows 10 ;)

• Like 1

Deihmos

It already is better. MBC is nice but wmc as the player is not. Edited by Deihmos

Deathsquirrel

Now THAT is ringing endorsement.  KODI: it's awful! :)

Tranquil

Of Cause! What you can do with KODI is really unbelievable! But in fact, you have to do some configuration first to fit your needs.

I used WMC many years and now I switched over to KODI.

Many features I missed all the years are now available.

- automatic Framerate switching

- native support of audio/ subtitle track selection

- great skinning support

- UPNP/ DLNA Renderer (send Pictures/ Videos from your mobile phone to KODI)

- WebInterface

- A really great AddOn Repository

- No additional Filters/ Codecs need to be installed to the system

- fast

- available for nearly all platforms (I still wait for nvidia shield android tv to be released in Europe, it supports hardware HEVC acceleration on HDMI 2.0 for 4K UHD. Maybe the best plattform atm to run KODI.)

- more and more and more...

• Like 4

deepseth

Now THAT is ringing endorsement.  KODI: it's awful! :)

Haha, that was the first thing I noticed. I'm glad someone else picked up on this. I'm hoping he meant 'awesome' and not 'awful' :)

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

Haha, that was the first thing I noticed. I'm glad someone else picked up on this. I'm hoping he meant 'awesome' and not 'awful' :)

No, I'm fine with 'awful' but to each their own :)

AdrianW

how hard is it to install and configure KODI

It's not hard to install - but it's just horrible to configure - unless you're happy with all your movies in one section and all your TV in another (which I'm not).

Others will says it's easy to configure - but they've obviously been using it for an extended period.

• Like 2

Tranquil

It really takes some time but its worth it!

I'm using Kodi 14.2 on Windows, the Emby Addon from this Stable Repro and the Titan Media Browser Skin from the official inbuild KODI Addon Repro. This is a very stable setup which is working fine for me.

There is also another Beta Repro of the Plugin and the Skin, but I can not recommend to use this in your productive system.

There are other Skins available in the KODI thread is this forum. You might also try the 1080XF Skin but I like the Titan Skin even more. It is highly customize able. 

CBers

It's not hard to install - but it's just horrible to configure - unless you're happy with all your movies in one section and all your TV in another (which I'm not).then choosing a skin

Others will says it's easy to configure - but they've obviously been using it for an extended period.

Totally agree - easy to install, but a PITA to configure natively.

The E4K addon has made life a lot easier, but then choosing a skin adds a whole lot of complexity as most have just too many options.

You just can't get it to look the way items are displayed in other Emby clients, which is why a basic Emby skin should be created.

• Like 2

Tranquil

With Titan Media Browser Skin you may come very close to an Emby SKIN. Maybe the standard settings for the skin needs to be adjusted during so that it looks more like Emby.

The biggest problem I had: There are so many skins and views to find one, which fits my requirements as much as possible. I spent the most time in evaluating the best skin for me. Titan Media Browser does. 

Vidman

Totally agree - easy to install, but a PITA to configure natively.

The E4K addon has made life a lot easier, but then choosing a skin adds a whole lot of complexity as most have just too many options.

You just can't get it to look the way items are displayed in other Emby clients, which is why a basic Emby skin should be created.

I believe the main reason the old media browser kodi addon is now deprecated in favour of the current version is so users can have the choice of any skin rather than needing a custom version
  • Like 1

Deathsquirrel

It's really not, though it can be time consuming.   At the end of all that though you are stuck with KODI and I really can't stand the user experience of the app.  It's not the skins, though I dislike most there are several that are to my taste, it's the application workflow.  Things that should be simple just plain take too many clicks to accomplish and don't make any intuitive sense to me.  I'm glad it's there for people that need it.  if I had to use it I'd scrap my movie server and go back to discs.

• Like 1

Deihmos

It was pretty easy for me. I don't have movies or tv in different sections. I never saw the need to do it like that. There are many skins but I don't see  it as a bad thing.. I can set up kodi a lot fatser than I could do MBC as an example. It probably takes me about 10 minutes to setup.

I really don't know what too many clicks the previous poster is referring to. You can customize your remote to jump to any section of your library or l even launch an addon.

Edited by Deihmos

CBers

Again, too many customisations required.

You should just install Kodi, the Emby for Kodi addon, which includes the (yet to be created) Emby skin and then you're presented with an Emby looking client, not a Kodi looking client.

Deihmos

How is it a requirement? You can install Kodi then the addon and begin viewing videos immediately without changing anything.

Edited by Deihmos

CBers

How is it a requirement? You can install Kodi then the addon and begin viewing videos immediately without changing anything.

But you don't get the Emby experience.

You have to faff about trying to find a skin that suits your style and then they're not always 100% the same.

• Like 2

Heuer

Have to agree about Kodi being a dismal user experience. It is similar to the result you would get if you asked a bunch of adolescent school kids to design the ultimate car - wings, wheels, rockets, guns, ejector seats and spoliers! Too much (pointless) functionality and all those skins which all seem to have different functionality. Ideal for geeks I guess but I just want to be able to watch TV and films and not have to explain to family and friends where everything is; or isn't if you swap skins! Unfortunately it has developed into a product that wants to be all things for all enthusiasts with no thought for the general public. Emby is as close as it gets to a domestically acceptable product.

• Like 7