New Windows 10 Emby player will not load mkv video

princeshawn420
Go to solution Solved by FrostByte,

princeshawn420

on windows 10 10162 it will not play a mkv at all it used to be transcoding it... now it shows direct and just loading forever i know its the machine its a clean install but even on the internal playeer it wont play a mkv same thing.. this is why i used emby because it transcoded them and allowed to play now its not and i cannot find a way to shut direct play off no codecs was ever installed but i think it has something to do with the E4690 video card and the cataylst driver

7illusions

Open fileexplorer an goto C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\436337Illusions.com.MediaBrowser_77hd5e1v1hqs4\LocalState (replace USERNAME with your user)

edit theStreamingporfile.xml file be removing the DirectPlay profile where it says Container = mkv and you should be good to go.

Happy2Play

Ideally we need to figure out why your mkv files are not playing properly, but if you want them to transcode then you will need to change the streamingprofile.

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\436337Illusions.com.MediaBrowser_77hd5e1v1hqs4\LocalState

this was one of the addition to the profile for Windows 10.

<DirectPlayProfile container="mkv" audioCodec="aac,ac3,eac3,mp3,mp2,pcm" videoCodec="h264" type="Video" />

Happy2Play

Can you provide media info for and mkv that won't play?

Only issue is see is app initially says playback:transcoding the changes to playback:direct.

559b0bf5d7296_appplayback.jpg

559b0c0b56f65_Playback.jpg

559b0c256b526_dashboard.jpg

559b0c3befd6b_mediainfo.jpg

GTiceman

I was also having this issue with all my MKV files and there was no MKV profile listed so I uninstalled and reinstalled the app and it seems to work now

Edited by GTiceman

Happy2Play

Can you be more specific and have you verified the streamingprofile.xml contains mkv format as shown in post 3.

• Solution
FrostByte

You don't need to uninstall/reinstall the app to get the mkv line.  If you're on Win 10 just close the app, then delete the file Streamingprofile.xml and then restart the app.  It will recreate StreamingProfile.xml with the line for mkv support.  People who upgrade to Win 10 after installing the app may need to do this until a fix is made.

• Like 2

GTiceman

You don't need to uninstall/reinstall the app to get the mkv line.  If you're on Win 10 just close the app, then delete the file Streamingprofile.xml and then restart the app.  It will recreate StreamingProfile.xml with the line for mkv support.  People who upgrade to Win 10 after installing the app may need to do this until a fix is made.

Thanks worked like a charm on my HTPC

• Like 1

sluggo45

It also seems to depend on the file. Not all mkv's are made equal, of course. I have a few that wouldn't play and some that would (latest Windows 10 app, as of 7.18, Windows 10 10240).

In every case, the container was mkv, and the essence files were h.264/acc - in theory, supported, but there's different levels and standards for those codecs too, plus you can have good old fashioned problems files. 

If I am not mistaken Emby is using the new native mkv container support in Windows 10, which is nice, but this implementation may not have the same level of error correction, profile support, etc. that a long gestating tool like ffmpeg has. Or there may be limitations in how the player can be used inside apps. Regardless, the fact that it plays outside of Emby doesn't necessarily mean it's not the file. I was able to get a couple problem files to play in the default Windows 10 "movies and tv" player" but they took longer to load and I noticed CPU usage was higher, so something was different about them.

So I did a quick reencode of my problem files in handbrake (lossless settings), then repacked the essences into mkv containers using MakeMKV, and now they play fine in the Emby app.

You can also try a tool like Project Metorite (Google it, it's a little out of date but still works) to do a one-step re-encode of problem files. Or if you don't care if they are mkv or not (and why would you) just use Handbrake all the way, re-encode them and leave them in the default mp4 containers, which also play fine with just about everything - actually, more devices than mkv. You can do batch re-encodes this way and just set-forget too. 

Or just force mkv files to transcode as outlined above - if Windows 10 support does indeed turn out to be quirky maybe it'd be good to add that as a UI option, in advanced settings or something?

Edited by sluggo45

GTiceman

This worked like a charm on my one system, however my HTPC has the MKV line in StreamingProfile and it still says Video Failed to Play, while the same video plays on my SP3 just fine

• 2 weeks later...
sluggo45

This worked like a charm on my one system, however my HTPC has the MKV line in StreamingProfile and it still says Video Failed to Play, while the same video plays on my SP3 just fine

You should post logs when this happens; they (Emby devs) can't do much of anything based off simple descriptions, other than perhaps tick a box somewhere that says <x number of users> reported a problem....which is not as useful as you think (assuming they do it).

Logs however could be very helpful.