Steverido

Koleckai Silvestri

Final version installed and cleaned up. No specific problems with Emby.

iDNYKQ4.jpg

• Like 2

jasonmcroy

Same here. Emby is working fine as well as all my other programs and hardware. I am really liking it so far.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

7illusions

@@Spaceboy just uninstall the "Elan trackpad" driver and you should be all set. Had the same issue on my Acer S7.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Did anyone delete the hidden folders afterward which got created from the upgrade?  I have a $Windows~BT and $Windows~WS folder using up about 4GB each that I would like to get rid of.  Taking ownership didn't do the trick.  Disk Cleanup only got rid of Windows.old

shaefurr

Windows 10 allows you to rollback to windows 8/7 for 1 month after upgrading, so i bet after that time period they would automatically be deleted. But anyway I left mine since I have like 200gb free anyway.

Did run into a problem upgrading my wifes laptop, it never got a notification since she had windows updates off. So i used the media creation tool, it downloaded, started the upgrade and sat at 50% for 3 hours until I finally cancelled it, no idea what happened so I guess ill try again this weekend.

techywarrior

Interesting. I haven't deleted mine since I want to give it at least a few days and make sure everything is working perfectly (although so far on 4 computers no problems). I had assumed that disk cleanup would have removed it. I guess I will check back in 30 days and see if it removes itself.

shaefurr

you can find it under all settings > update and security > recovery if you're curious

55ba82f446bb6_screen2.jpg

techywarrior

Thanks.

I've been using the preview builds for like 2+ months on an everyday computer and there are still things that I am learning and/or that were added in the different builds.

Took me 30 minutes to decide how I wanted my start menu to be the other day. Probably give it a few days and then tweak. I'm sort of flip flopping between having lots of little icons for apps/programs and using the search to launch stuff that I don't use every single day.

Koleckai Silvestri

Did anyone delete the hidden folders afterward which got created from the upgrade?  I have a $Windows~BT and $Windows~WS folder using up about 4GB each that I would like to get rid of.  Taking ownership didn't do the trick.  Disk Cleanup only got rid of Windows.old

According to the web, $Windows.~BT holds upgrade files. Removing old versions via Disk Cleanup is supposed to remove them but it isn't working at this time.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

@@Spaceboy just uninstall the "Elan trackpad" driver and you should be all set. Had the same issue on my Acer S7.

Cheers, same laptop!

Xzener

2 down... 2 to go. Still have yet to have one update itself. Been forcing downloads (which all failed), installed the RTM version (worked, but is it really activated??), and downloaded the ISO with the link provided in this thread. My theater room PC went to black screen during installation, caused by my Nvidia card. Just about ready to push the reset button... Plugged in an old monitor to find it at 32% installed. This hasn't been the easiest upgrade, probably due to my lack of patience. I thought reserving my copy with that icon, it would download and be ready to install on the 29th... What happened there Microsoft??

techywarrior

They said they would start on the 29th. Upgrades in waves. But I do think it has been a bit of a failure. All my computers had different sized BT folders and none prompted me automatically to install. I guess at some point they would have but it was easier to just download the media tool and start the download again with it guaranteed to work.

Didn't have any problems like you describe with black screens or failures though.

One common "problem" I have been having is that on first run when it downloads the drivers and updates it doesn't prompt me to restart but the machine runs like shit until I restart it. Then it runs awesome. I believe it's been issues with the video drivers.

Deathsquirrel

Surface pro 3 upgraded through the insider program np.  HTPC upgraded with msdn iso.  Seems to be working pretty well there so far.  The xbox app streaming from xbox one on the surface is fun.

swhitmore

Auto hide the task bar then. (same place the setting has been in since like Win NT)

I'd have to check to see how sensetive it is in regards to appearing when you move your finger near the bottom of the screen on my tablet though.

This is exactly how I have my tablet setup atm. Auto hide works perfectly. Swiping from the bottom brings it up again. The only thing I'm trying to get used to is not swiping from the side to check the time or battery level. I have to swipe from the bottom.

Window 10 on a tablet is working great for me. I basically just leave it in tablet mode all the time. Mobile Office is great too. I previously had Office Pro installed, but it was taking up a lot of room, and I only really need it for easy tasks. Office Mobile is touch optimised also.

Battery life is improved, but the start menu is a little more sluggish than before since I'm only using an Atom processor. I can't wait to see this running on a Surface Pro 4 (hoping to get one for my 30th at the end of the year).

swhitmore

Btw, if you're using this link (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) be sure to choose the 'Upgrade' option, not the download ISO option. You need to upgrade first to get your free activation key. If you want to clean install, you still need to use the 'upgrade' option first, then run the media creation tool again and then select the create ISO option. Then once you're already on Windows 10, you can clean install. Currently there is no way to clean install directly from Windows 7/8/8.1 to 10 unless you have purchased a retail key.

DigiTM

Fresh install. Have had a few issues with games crashing and an out of memory error though.  High end machine so these errors shouldn't occur.  I believe the fault lies with NVidia.  NextPVR doesn't work off the bat either, you have to install a codec pack since Microsoft don't have any support for MPEG2 anymore.
Emby in Microsoft Edge has a few issues, watch and finish a show on another client, and it still sits there on the server saying it's being watched.  Just using IE for Emby server now which works without this issue.
Using Kodi on the client machine until the new version of MBT arrives. **Soon I hope :)

Edited by DigiTM

shaefurr

Are you using the drivers windows 10 installed for your gpu? I'd recommend you uninstall those and update to the newest from nvidia.

DigiTM

Are you using the drivers windows 10 installed for your gpu? I'd recommend you uninstall those and update to the newest from nvidia.

I didn't uninstall them, I just updated with the latest NVidia official ones.  Might try that tonight, run display driver uninstaller and do it the proper way.  DDU has the option to disable automatic driver updates, wonder if that applies to Windows 10 as well.

xnappo

My two problems are:

1. Auto update of NVidia - the latest drivers cause annoying flickering on my 4K desktop - I have had to disable the update service entirely

2. Sharing drives - my Windows server serves my OpenElec boxes, and I can't for the life of me get a Microsoft managed account to share drive.  I am using a local account, but would like some of the advantages of the MS account.

Other than that - it is clearly the best Windows OS since Win7.

shaefurr

nvidia drivers were about the biggest problem for people upgrading to 10 it seems. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/28/windows_10_update_nvidia_driver_conflict/

After I upgraded the drivers windows 10 installed were older than the ones from nvidia, but when I tried installing them the install kept failing. Only way to get them installed was to remove all nvidia drivers, reboot, then I could install from nvidia. Haven't had any issues since. Granted I had no graphical issues in the first place, I just wanted the nvidia control panel back to set up DSR factors.

Edited by shaefurr

techywarrior

I had the same issue with the nVidia drivers. Install failed. My resolution was right so I didn't think anything of it after that. Noticed that using Groove Music app was using 30% CPU. I was like "wow, they really need to optinmize the app". Then I tried to play a game. Game ran at like 1 FPS on DX11 and DX9 failed entirely. Another game did the same thing.

Rebooted, installed nVidia drivers again. This time they worked. CPU usage playing music is now <5% and games are running properly.

Crazy thing was that I think the games in DX11 were trying to run in software via the CPU. LOL

On another computer I have an issue where the Elan touchpad drivers BLOW MAJORLY and are causing problems. I hope that gets resolved soon. Even their stupid software flips out when you try and change the default settings to mitigate the issue.

7illusions

Just uninstall the elan driver. It sucks bigtime.

The default drivers will be sufficient.

techywarrior

Just uninstall the elan driver. It sucks bigtime.

The default drivers will be sufficient.

It reinstalls itself when the computer reboots... Because I totally would deep six those shitty drivers.

Edit: Since it's a Samsung laptop, and they may have done something custom to the touchpad, it's listed in the Device Manager as "Samsung pointing device" so that may be why it keeps seeing the "new" driver and installs it.

Edited by techywarrior

I guess I'm not destined to run Windows 10 anywhere.  Spent over an hour today trying to update my laptop and got nowhere.

Ran the media creation tool and it just sits there on downloading at 0% forever.  Tried all the remedies I could find on the net but still doesn't work.

Xzener

Ok, so I followed the link Sheafurr posted, downloaded the ISO. The upgrade worked on 2 PCs, but my laptop is asking for a product key. I thought it was asking for my laptops W7 key, but is failing... I assume its asking for the W10 key. My laptop has Home Premium on it, I had to do a OS recovery years ago... What seems to be the issue here??