Steverido

Steverido

Hi Guys,

So I had the email last night to suggest that Emby is ready for Windows 10. I know that Windows 10 is not going to have Windows Media Center so what are you replacing it with as a player? Is it Emby Theatre? Is this not still in Alpha stage?

Can Emby Theatre be configured the same as Emby for Windows Media Center? 

Will all custom folders show the same? For example in TV I have multiple folders for either different people or some are for future.

Cheers  :D

That email was about the Windows Store app which is now also updated for Windows 10.

schingeck

Does this mean it's going to work on Xbox One? Any idea of when that would be supported. I've been using Plex on my new Xbox One, but this may give me reason to just get rid of it all completely :)

Deathsquirrel

Does this mean it's going to work on Xbox One? Any idea of when that would be supported. I've been using Plex on my new Xbox One, but this may give me reason to just get rid of it all completely :)

A date for an xbox one app hasn't been announced but I'll go out on a limb and guess it's about 10 seconds after MS allows win 10 universal apps to be seen in the xbox one store.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Steverido

Seems the two posts above mine need to be on their own topic.

I don't feel like my question was answered gents.

I have read on the forums that Microsoft might add WMC at the last minute. The feature is certainly not available on the last build because I have it on an old laptop.

I would love to upgrade my HTPC to Windows 10 but I really like what Emby provides within WMC. I love that I can add different folders for different people so that my TV is completely separated which enables me to have current views of TV seasons and have folders which are completed seasons and some that are still be collected whilst seasons are running. It has the legacy function which is missing from Emby theatre. You get the idea!

Will this be a feature to be added? How can you start and exit Emby theatre with the remote such as you can with WMC.

I understand Emby theater is a work in progress so I am not complaining guys. You have all done and are doing an amazing job.

I love this software.  :D  :D  :D

AdrianW

I have read on the forums that Microsoft might add WMC at the last minute.

Well, I hope that is the case - as I also love Emby for WMC and don't ant to see it go. I'll be sticking with Win 8.1 until Emby Theatre has all the features that EMC does.

One way to start any app (incl Emby Theatre) with a remote is to pin it to the task bar, and then use the remote commands Win-1, Win-2, etc to start the first, second, etc app on the task bar. You'll need the Windows Media Center SE profile on your Harmony which includes those keystrokes.

Steverido

Well, I hope that is the case - as I also love Emby for WMC and don't ant to see it go. I'll be sticking with Win 8.1 until Emby Theatre has all the features that EMC does.

One way to start any app (incl Emby Theatre) with a remote is to pin it to the task bar, and then use the remote commands Win-1, Win-2, etc to start the first, second, etc app on the task bar. You'll need the Windows Media Center SE profile on your Harmony which includes those keystrokes.

Thanks for the tips Adrian. I am rebuilding my HTPC and was going to buy a harmony remote.

If they do allow WMC you will not be disappointed with Windows 10. The start menu is really great and fully customisable. 

Swynol

anyone been invited to the xbox one insider preview dashboard? wondering if the win10 apps are available to the beta testers yet?

AdrianW

Thanks for the tips Adrian. I am rebuilding my HTPC and was going to buy a harmony remote.

If they do allow WMC you will not be disappointed with Windows 10. The start menu is really great and fully customisable. 

I'll be going up to 10 on my regular PC - it's just the NUC under the TV that will be staying on 8.1.

rick355

Yep, I am going with windows 10 on every pc I own except for my 3 HTPCs. Came here looking for an answer to the same question...

Koleckai Silvestri

I have read on the forums that Microsoft might add WMC at the last minute. The feature is certainly not available on the last build because I have it on an old laptop.

Running Windows 10 RTM right now.. there is no Media Center. It wasn't added last minute.

• Like 1

Logos302

In theory it still could be added last minute as while it has been RTM'd nothing is final any more.  But I can't see them adding it.  It's a dead product.  :(.

techywarrior

Well, they said it wasn't going to be included. There are numerous mentions about upgrading to Win10 and "certain programs" being removed as they are no longer part of Windows... AND all preview members already received the RTM version of Windows 10. So I'm not really sure why anyone would expect it to be added at this point.

And I don't think there are even remotely enough people using WMC to get MS to change their mind. I'd love to upgrade my HTPC to Windows 10 and still have WMC but like others I am upgrading all my computers at home except the HTPC.

As Emby gets better with Live TV it may make it easier to use another backend and Emby as the front end on Windows 10+ while still retaining a great user interface.

AdrianW

10 Reasons to Upgrade ads

Damn good ads and really catchy music to go with them.

Youtube is the only place I'd ever see these - as I just don't watch live TV at all anymore.

FrostByte

It looks like all of my upgradable computers have the installation folder for Win 10 on them now.  I guess something will kick off the upgrade here tomorrow or soon after

shaefurr

It looks like all of my upgradable computers have the installation folder for Win 10 on them now.  I guess something will kick off the upgrade here tomorrow or soon after

yup same here

Scott84Z28

I upgraded my tablet and laptop (8.1 pro to 10 pro) this morning.  No major issues.  So far so good.  I have some Win7 machines that will be next on the list.

FrostByte

Did you start the update yourself, or did it start automatically?  I see the folder and I want to get started.

CBers

It looks like all of my upgradable computers have the installation folder for Win 10 on them now. I guess something will kick off the upgrade here tomorrow or soon after

Where is the folder located?

Is the update automatic, or can I choose to install/ignore it?

wolf359

Thinking of updating to win10 fir my htpc but only have my media center remote. This works with MBT atm will this still work with win10 installed. I guess it will but would be good to know first just to be sure

Swynol

updated my work laptop and PC today, downloaded the ISO to make it a slightly cleaner install. so far so good, its faster than 7, still not sure on the start menu.

just a note to people upgrading. My work laptop came with a OEM win7 key. When installing the iso doing a clean install (format, etc) it asks for the previous windows key, OEM ones dont work. The way to get around this is to upgrade from win7 to win10 by running the setup while on the win7 desktop. once the setup has completed and your on windows 10 use magic jelly bean keyfinder. this will display your Windows 10 key. then you can format your PC use the ISO to install win10 cleanly and use the win10 Key.

Edited by Swynol
  • Like 2

Scott84Z28

Did you start the update yourself, or did it start automatically?  I see the folder and I want to get started.

On my laptop, I launched it through the GWX notification app thingy.  On my tablet, I downloaded the mediacreationtool.exe to get it started manually.

• Like 1