DLNA via Server across IP subnets

VincentVanGozer

VincentVanGozer

Hi all! Apologies if this has been answered, which means my search skills suck...

I'm wondering if I can use the play-to feature to specify a DLNA device on another IP subnet? 

Basically, I've got my emby server (latest version for windows) on a 10.1.1.0/24 subnet. I have a VPN tunnel set up to my sister's house, with everything on a 10.1.2.0/24 subnet there. Is there a way in the web GUI or config files to manually add an option to play-to a DLNA device at a fixed IP address in that other subnet? The intended end result is that she can http log into the mediabrowser server with her login, select the play-to device of her TV, and have it stream that way.

MBserver (10.1.1.126) <-> Gateway <-> 10.1.2.1 <-> DLNA device

Thanks for any tips, tricks, advice, and knowledge!

VincentVanGozer

Got it! Well, I'll just have to donate to help make that happen!

Thanks for the amazing and awesome tool!

• 2 weeks later...
silvanet

Not sure if I've got everything set up correctly. I installed emby server on a Linux computer that is connected to my TV and runs Kodi on Ubuntu 14.04. The server seems to be configured right. When I went to set up the media library (for TV shows & Movies) I hoped to use the ones I had created in Kodi, but found emby could not see the kodi hidden directories. So, I created a couple of folders in a visible directory and named them Movies & TV. Of course, they were empty. I figured I could just copy the contents of the Kodi library into those folders for the emby library. I synced and all the files seemed to update OK. I configured the kodi media browser add-on with the emby local IP and port address as well as the emby username and password. When I then launched the kodi add-on, it showed me the library and its content. I can click on the kodi (Confluence skin) menu Library item, see the TV shows in it (now the emby library source), and I can click on any item and the option menu with autoplay at the top pops up, and any show can play from there. So, now I moved to the Windows 7 Pro PC in my bedroom that has Kodi installed on it. I think there are two ways to view the emby library on the living room Linux connected TV. I first tried setting the Kodi Media Browser add-on on the Windows PC to the emby server's local (LAN) address, but it would not connect (although I don't see why), but when I used the remote IP it connected fine and immediately I could see the list of TV shows. But there was one problem. Every single show in the list has a zero in front of the total number of shows in the library (for example 0/204). None are playable on the Windows PC. Of course, I could go find them, for example, on Genesis again and play them, but what I wanted was to be able to access and play them from the emby library on the server. That does not work for me right now. The server setup recognizes the remote Windows PC device as a DLNA device and is set up to let emby play to it. Now, strictly, emby is not recognizing my Windows PC as being part of my local network, but both ARE. They are both assigned their internal IP addresses by my router and they are in the same subnet (in my case 192.168.1). Can somebody help me figure out how to get this to work? 

I've searched in other parts of the forum for help, but I'm still stuck. In fact, I've made it worse, since now I can't even play videos directly on the server machine any more. I'm getting a "There was an error playing the video" message.

Edited by silvanet