Docker for High Spec Synology

Gernash

Gernash

Install Docker from Package Center

Putty into the Synology and follow the instructions here

http://emby.media/downloads/linux-server/ DOCKER TAB

DON'T USE THE RESTART BUTTON

I use a DS1812+ and it is quite responsive would recommend upgrading the ram as mine peaks 1Gb.

Have fun.

Docker is available for the following  Models

RS18016xs+

RC18015xs+, RS815(RP)+, DS3615xs, DS2415+, DS1815+, DS1515+, DS415+

RS3614xs+, RS3614(RP)xs, RS2414(RP)+, RS814(RP)+

RS10613xs+, RS3413xs+, DS2413+, DS1813+, DS1513+, DS713+

RS3412(RP)xs, RS2212(RP)+, RS812(RP)+, DS3612xs, DS1812+, DS1512+, DS712+, DS412+

RS3411(RP)xs, RS2211(RP)+, DS3611xs, DS2411+, DS1511+, DS411+II, DS411+

RS810(RP)+, DS1010+, DS710+

Please post any issues you have........

Please report performance success/fail and your model so Devs know which models need a dedicated build for.

Edited by Gernash

Gernash

House keeping

When you shutdown Emby you need to add an access port to it or you cant get back in.

While your there open up port 1900,8920,7352 and 8096 (1900 is a SPECIAL PORT See Hacks.)

The Webpage link works with server ip address.

55981188b6fea_Emby.jpg

Start/Stop Emby from the Docker interface seems to keep it from glitching (linux guys having problems with restart in Emby interface)

You can Map drives to the container through the Volume tab.

Edited by Gernash
  • Like 2

Gernash

HACKS

DLNA/upnp braudcast....

1. open terminal

2. pidof minissdpd
3. kill {pid}

4. enable port 1900 in Docker

5. start emby

Problem:

When you restart the Synology minissdpd starts and stops emby from running you need to kill it again

minissdpd seems to upnp broadcast to windows boxes so you can go to network and click on the synology device in there and it takes you to the web management page. If anyone knows anything about it please tell me .

Attempted resolution.

Exposing to Docker container to Host NIC via assigning static IP to container without NAT- not possible atm community looking to implement in next version https://github.com/docker/libnetwork/issues/161

05/07/2015

I have no CLEAN way of mapping ports that are in use to the Synology server as yet. I have sent emails to Synology Master Devs and posted on the Synology forums.

Edited by Gernash

FlyGuy94

I did update docker trough the package manager and now my emby server can't access the internet? I' cant check for updates and my trakt sync is not working :(

FlyGuy94

@@FlyGuy94

Did you open the ports as per the housekeeping section in Post #2?

Well port 1900 is in conflict with something but i don't know what. Everything else is the same.

• Like 1

FlyGuy94

I have just noticed the local ip for emby has changed in the server manager from 192.168.0.10 to 172.17.0.2 how do I change this?

Gernash

@FlyGuy94

you dont it's dynamically assigned.

My understanding  eth0--->docker0 "WAN"(randumb ip address)----Docker NAT----Docker containers IP (Dynamic randumb 172.17.0.x)

​What's the reason for changing it?

Note: when 1.7 comes out it I think you can do it then.

Edited by Gernash

FlyGuy94

@FlyGuy94

you dont it's dynamically assigned.

My understanding  eth0--->docker0 "WAN"(randumb ip address)----Docker NAT----Docker containers IP (Dynamic randumb 172.17.0.x)

1) ​What's the reason for changing it?

2) Note: when 1.7 comes out it I think you can do it then.

1) Well my server can't access the internet. So no trakt no updates nada. It was working perfecly fine until I updated docker from the synology package manager. I don't know if it matters or not.

2) Is that a new version of docker or emby?

Edited by FlyGuy94

Gernash

@FlyGuy94

DS1812+

DSM 5.2-5592

Docker 1.6.2 build a263667

With this version they gave you a GUI for docker. I have read in posts that people have had similar problems. I myself found when I installed the container from command everything worked fine but when I restarted emby all the ports were blocked and I had to open then manually.

I'd say the update has killed the ports.

Tick the assign dynamic port mapping in the GUI and start the Emby server once it's running click on the container then info you will be able to see what ports are being mapped internally through the dynamically assigned portforwards then manually add them to the basic options later. I'd say it's the same as the above example.

The local ip for emby does not matter unless you have done some crazy iptable mapping inside the Docker side of the NAT(but I'm not really o fey with that madness yet) the Ports are translated By Dockers NAT

Docker GUI is accessible from the main menu button in the top left.

This is the 1st version of docker I've played with (I have VM experience on different platforms) so I do not how the container was presented to the Host in previous versions but this is how it appears to be done in 1.6 on Synology.

1.7 can present Host to eth0 apparently without NAT but Have not played with it.

Ohhh 1 more thing if you do a #ip addr check if docker0 has a ipv4 address Some people were saying they got only ivp6 addresses.

Edited by Gernash

Gernash

The version of emby is the same as in the linux forum in the 1st post. 

Mine says Version 3.0.5641.5

FlyGuy94

I don't think you understand. I have always used the docker GUI. there was a GUI from the moment docker was introduced. The ports are fine well exept for the 1900 one witch I can't use cause it conflicts with something.

I dug a bit deeper and from a terminal inside the docker environment I was able to access the internet but I think Its an dns problem. I get this error when trying to check for updates to emby "Error: NameResolutionFailure "

When I look into the logs I find this 

Error: NameResolutionFailure
stdout
18:41:31
    MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException
stdout
18:41:31
     at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager+<SendAsyncInternal>c__async4.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I tried doing a ifdown&ifup but that did nothing. I don't know a thing about dns so yeah I need some help here :(

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Thank you for the post!

It would be nice to have a step to step guide for newbies to Docker like me :-)

I'd like to ask if you get performance penalty by visualize Emby instead of running it without docker?

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...
phoenix4

05/07/2015

I have no CLEAN way of mapping ports that are in use to the Synology server as yet. I have sent emails to Synology Master Devs and posted on the Synology forums.

I've been able to stop minissdpd from starting at boot time by commenting out lines in /etc/init/minissdpd.conf. While it's not a "clean" solution, it allows you to add port 1900 to the docker container and not have to repeat it every time the device boots.

Note that I also had to uninstall all other programs using port 1900 (audio station, media server, video station).

This didn't make DLNA work though so now I'm sadly going back to the Synology Emby package.

Edited by phoenix4
  • Like 1

Gernash

Yea I had no joy from Synology either (they did send a meaningful response.) But as docker only allows easier end user installation I see no other benefits in of running it in that environment.

If anyone want's to persists with it maybe play with iproute tables to redirect port 1900 incoming/outgoing to virtual NIC in docker. (Note: upnp would be then be  totally disabled in the Synology though.)

• 2 months later...
Magnetron

Been a while since any updates to this thread, has anybody had any further success getting Emby to work in Docker on Synology?

I like the idea of having Emby virtualized as opposed to Synology multi package dependency, but am having some of the same problems listed already.

Cant get port 1900 to map, despite having disabled all other apps/packages.

Can get to Emby web interface, but cant see any of my mapped folders from -v command line.

Is the recommendation to use the Synology packages instead of Docker?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

House keeping

When you shutdown Emby you need to add an access port to it or you cant get back in.

While your there open up port 1900,8920,7352 and 8096 (1900 is a SPECIAL PORT See Hacks.)

The Webpage link works with server ip address.

55981188b6fea_Emby.jpg

You can Map drives to the container through the Volume tab.

Everything seems to be working fine in docker, except the volume mapping. Whatever I map, in Webinterface of emby the folders seems to be empty.

Can u please give an example of mapping a synology shared folder. Do I need to set some access rights to the folders?

Thanks for all your support here :)

Regards

Vlaves

Really no one? Do I overlook something so obvious?

Please help. I would really love to get this up and running with docker on my synology. Seems like the updating will be easy once it is running compared to the package.

Regards

Vlaves

can you show an example of what you're mapping?

Seems like everything is working now :)

Edited by Vlaves

• 1 month later...
Alex_F

Hello fellows,

Could you please help me with making emby server run inside docker ?

Ive created separate user for emby server and installed server according to this: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Docker-Getting-Started

But apparently OOTB script /usr/local/bin/emby-server is not designed for Synology busybox: it gives me

/usr/local/bin/emby-server: line 14: getent: command not found
/usr/local/bin/emby-server: line 15: getent: command not found
Cleaning up stopped emby-server instances...
/usr/local/bin/emby-server: line 36: docker: command not found
Starting emby-server...
/usr/local/bin/emby-server: line 130: docker: command not found

Ive installed emby-server to my local mint with hope to craft startup command by example and came up with following:

sudo docker run -d --net=host --env=APP_USER=emby_user --env=APP_UID=1030 --env=APP_GID=100 --volume=/var/services/homes/emby_user/.emby-server:/config --volume=/volume1:/volume1 --name=emby-server emby/embyserver:latest

which at least capable to start the server but in the console I see not promising output:

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 01-conf-onetime: executing...
[cont-init.d] 01-conf-onetime: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 02-user-onetime: executing...
[cont-init.d] 02-user-onetime: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
groups: 'emby_user': no such user
usermod: user 'emby_user' does not exist
chown: invalid user: 'emby_user.emby_user'
su: user emby_user does not exist
chown: invalid user: 'emby_user.emby_user'
su: user emby_user does not exist

its just looping

DSM 6.0-7321

Any idea what it could be ?

Edited by Alex_F

• 1 month later...
lololo

05/07/2015

Hello,

Have you find a solution ?

thanks

Gernash

Sorry I have not, I assume you can create a masquerade ip on your primary NIC that you can bind docker to, But I have not seen any one going in this direction (as yet). I have not received any positive response from Master Devs or Syno forums.

But this is for DLNA port 1900

I have not played with it recently but the latest ver of docker is v1.11??? I think they resolved the translation issue with in-use ports with containers in 1.7 Syno is only 1.5 sooo ask around on the linux forums maybe and see if they have dlna issues and what version they are running. 

Might have to get a community build of Docker to do testing.

I have not seen a SPK file out there with a quick search.

Edited by Gernash
  • Like 1