How do CoverArt process a medialibrary

mitbac

mitbac

Hi,

I was going to try out the CoverArt plugin. It seemed pretty neat. However I am wondering how the work to process the art is being run. I have a fairly large medialibrary (some 50k files/50 TB of data), and what happened was that Emby just stopped responding.

I could now browse the medialibrary at all. I understand that it will not be able to process all this media instantly, but it locked the whole server. It seemed as if the images being provided by CoverArt totally blocked the browsing all together when the library was not fully processed. I have not looked in the source code for CoverArt at all, but my thought at this point is that it seemed that CoverArt takes over the publishing of all configured art work - without bypassing with not completed art - which in practice blocks the library completely until the art generation is finished.

I have a dedicated server solely for Emby. Not a monster machine, but it's ok (it's a Dell PowerEdge T20, G3220 @ 3 Ghx, 32 GB RAM, Windows Server 2012 R2).

I let the server run for 12 hours, but after that I had to uninstall CoverArt, cause it totally blocked the server, and it was hard to even get into the Emby Settings.

So my thoughts are if it was possible to add some features to the plugin to make it even better (it seems pretty cool):

* Make sure the plugin does not totally takes over the server (throttling or doing the update art work processing in a lower prioritized thread)

* It would be nice with some sort of progressbar so you can see where CoverArt is in the process of creating the art.

* A bypass to the available artwork until the new art have been created (ie. it's still possible to browse the library even though it is not completely finished)

Looking forward to a reply with your thoughts about the matter.

Thanks.

If you're just leaving the server running cover art doesn't do anything. It's only used while your browsing and clients are requesting images

mitbac

Oh. I see. It kind of made sense that it could work that way too. However since I could not browse the library with CoverArt installed, it then turns into a catch 22.

That seems very odd.  Please post a server log from when you are trying to browse the library.