Any suggestion as to which Android box to buy?

BeeGee

jasonmcroy

Well a good 10'/remote control experience seems to be getting in the way of me migrating to a better setup, so one more troop has been rallied. :)

So a kodi client works with Emby server? I might just have to look into that if it provides a better experience.

As for Win 8 plus Netflix app, I've always gotten the impression that it doesn't have a good 10'/remote control experience. I probably wouldn't care about audio track selection so if "normal" usage is completely covered by AHK, it might be a viable route. That said, it seems like a dying route just like WMC7, since Win10 has no WMC.

There is a VERY good Emby app for Kodi that works pretty seamlessly using Kodi as the front end player. Check out the Kodi forum thread here and it will tell you all about it. I use it almost exclusively right now.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

Vidman

Not in my experience! Everything I can do on the Emby web browser with a mouse I can do on my Android phone with a finger. I can use a Bluetooth mouse/keyboard to navigate my way around Emby for Android (on the Mbox) on my large screen - the 10' interface experience is damn good - yet I am not allowed to use the IR remote (apart from page up and page down, obviously). And let me get this right, it is not a technical limitation but the developers telling me, as the customer/end user, that my experience and expectations are flawed. Is that correct?

The only thing that is "vastly different" is the layout and functionality of Emby when you pause a movie on your phone and pick up where you left off on the big screen. I am sure EATV is fine if you run it as an app on a Sony or Sharp TV but the Android boxes are so much more powerful and cross platform. I am currently using an earlier EA on the Mbox and that is a great user experience at 10' so why has the IR been summarily disabled on the latest versions? If you want Emby acceptance in the living room the developers are going to need a different mindset.

Don't get me wrong mate because I'm stuck with trying to use the emby for android app on my ouya and its a horribly frustrating experience, the old app was much better on it, but you must realise the difference between small screen mobile touchscreen navigation and 10' ui with remote ... And I'm not a developer, just another user, telling you your experience and expectations are flawed;) Edited by Vidman

Heuer

There is a VERY good Emby app for Kodi that works pretty seamlessly using Kodi as the front end player. Check out the Kodi forum thread here and it will tell you all about it. I use it almost exclusively right now.

Kodi is not a particularly family friendly experience. Someone presses the wrong button and you are out of Emby into a foreign world and I get called from whatever I am doing to fix it!

Don't get me wrong mate because I'm stuck with trying to use the emby for android app on my ouya and its a horribly frustrating experience, the old app was much better on it, but you must realise the difference between small screen mobile touchscreen navigation and 10' ui with remote ... And I'm not a developer, just another user, telling you your experience and expectations are flawed;)

I have the old app (V2.1.38) running on the Mbox and it works well. I have the latest app running on another Mbox and it works just as well although I have to use a mouse/keyboard to navigate at 10'. Everybody who uses or see's Emby loves it - simple to use and pretty fool proof. And that is Emby's USP and why it deserves to succeed. Usability is king in the living room which is why Kodi will remain in a teenagers bedroom (IMHO, obviously).  :)

jasonmcroy

Well, just my experience and reality, maybe not everyone's. To each his own...

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

I have a Nexus Player, and have been using the Emby app on this for a while now. It generally works very well. The new layout is generally great, but it has some limitations (more do to with Lollipop though).

The biggest problems for me are;

Despite the Nexus Player (with Android 5.1) supporting H.264/AAC decoding natively, Emby transcodes everything I send to it, and I hate transcoding when it doesn't need to.

Android 5.1 doesn't support native refresh rate switching, so if I play a 24P movie, it's all displayed at 60Hz. Horrible and unwatchable. 50Hz live TV (from ServerWMC) displayed at 60Hz is even worse.

Android M should fix a lot of this. It supports refresh rate switching and also has native MPEG2 support. I'm assuming Emby will take advantage of these new features when M is ready for launch.

Edited by tman

Despite the Nexus Player (with Android 5.1) supporting H.264/AAC decoding natively, Emby transcodes everything I send to it, and I hate transcoding when it doesn't need to.

That's about to change - at least for some of your media - with the next version due out very soon.