Synology Setup

Luke

After the installation of new version (Intel DS415+) and migration form old Syno version, all seemed well, however it has gone quite pair shaped. I have had permission issues with my Media folder, and all images from the Movie section are now missing except for Collections or those I manually added. I set library scans multiple times, stopped and started Emby many times. I set all my UFCs (over 100) to refresh a few times, I selected a handful of movies to refresh and replace all metadata and images, none of these refreshes have achieved anything.

I restored my Metadata folder from a backup created two days before this change was made, still no images, refreshes selected again, still nothing.

Screen shot of some, those with no movie name showing were selected for refreshes.

TV and Music is as it was, only Movies has this problem.

TSMS6nc.jpg

Edited by KRULL

Nic_J001

Having only just entered the realms of NAS and Emby I am a total Noob so apologise in advise if I have missed anything in the previous posts. I have a DS214se and established it has a Marvell Armada 370 x 14 (armv7l marvell-pj4) CPU.

I have followed the instruction for the installation of Emby Server for NAS found here :

http://emby.media/nas-server.html on the Synology Tab

from Luke's link posted in Post 1 found here :

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/22921-synology-setup/

I can do steps one and two but when I look for the Emby Server Icon at step three (Package Center -> Explore -> Community) there is nothing for me to install. No App icon is present, I just see the Package Centre Icon with the wording "All packages have been installed" underneath.

Now my understanding from what I have read is that Emby will only work with Intel powered CPU variants.

Is this correct?

If not, can anyone direct me given the Noob status and whether I should even try with my entry level DS214se NAS to install Emby Server on it?

Wreid23

I have restored the old instructions for ARM CPU's. Thanks.

does this not work with certain intel builds?,  cause I cant seem to see it in the package center and I have added the source per the directions

does this not work with certain intel builds?,  cause I cant seem to see it in the package center and I have added the source per the directions

please elaborate on which model and @@solabc16 should have an answer for you.

Wreid23

please elaborate on which model and @@solabc16 should have an answer for you.

@solabc16

Xpenology Build 

DSM 5.2-5644 Update 5

/root$ uname -a

Linux AJNAS 3.10.35 #1 SMP Tue Feb 2 17:44:24 CET 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux synology_bromolow_3615xs

/root$ dmeicode -t 4

-ash: dmeicode: not found

/root$ cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor : 0

vendor_id : GenuineIntel

cpu family : 6

model : 42

model name : Intel® Core™ i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz

stepping : 7

microcode : 0x28

cpu MHz : 3301.000

cache size : 6144 KB

physical id : 0

siblings : 4

core id : 0

cpu cores : 4

apicid : 0

initial apicid : 0

fpu : yes

fpu_exception : yes

cpuid level : 13

wp : yes

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx lahf_lm ida arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid

bogomips : 6599.91

clflush size : 64

cache_alignment : 64

address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual

power management:

processor : 1

core id : 1

apicid : 2

initial apicid : 2

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx lahf_lm ida arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid

power management:

processor : 2

core id : 2

apicid : 4

initial apicid : 4

power management:

processor : 3

core id : 3

apicid : 6

initial apicid : 6

power management:

Edited by Wreid23

DarWun

Pre-installation

Package center-->Settings-->General       choose-Trust Level any publisher

Package center-->Settings-->Beta             choose-Yes, I want to see beta version!

Add http://packages.synocommunity.com/ and http://cytec.us/spk/ to Package center -->Package Source

Check the what CPU/architecture you have in your synology https://github.com/S...r-Synology-mode so you can use the right Package for your base install.(#Shell command uname -a)

Installation

1. Install Mono from Package center --> Community Tab
  2. Install ImageMagick from Package center --> Community Tab
  3. Download and Install ffmpeg from here: http://cytec.us/syno/test-spk/ffmpeg/
  4. Download and Install emby from here: http://cytec.us/syno/test-spk/emby/

Updating

See this thread - http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/34516-updating-emby-on-dsm6-systems/

Thank you Krull.

DarWun

I have restored the old instructions for ARM CPU's. Thanks.

Thanks Luke.  I noticed that the instructions for replacing the default installation of imagemagick with "imagemagick-6.9.3-7_Q8" are no longer included.  I previously installed the Q8 version.  Should I revert back to the default version?

Yea that unfortunately might be harder for us to recover. i think that came from cytec if i'm not mistaken? if anyone has it and can supply it that would be great, thanks.

DarWun

Yea that unfortunately might be harder for us to recover. i think that came from cytec if i'm not mistaken? if anyone has it and can supply it that would be great, thanks.

I have the file "imagemagick-6.9.3-7_Q8.tar" and can provide it.  I don't have a way to upload it though.  I'm also missing the instructions that tell you what to do with it.

Edited by DarWun

solabc16

Yes. Also refreshed my list of packages. No idea what I'm doing wrong. Server is up to date again, old winSCP method still working :)

Evening @@camielkb

What model Synology box do you have and what version of DSM are you running?

- James

solabc16

Having only just entered the realms of NAS and Emby I am a total Noob so apologise in advise if I have missed anything in the previous posts. I have a DS214se and established it has a Marvell Armada 370 x 14 (armv7l marvell-pj4) CPU.

I have followed the instruction for the installation of Emby Server for NAS found here :

http://emby.media/nas-server.html on the Synology Tab

from Luke's link posted in Post 1 found here :

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/22921-synology-setup/

I can do steps one and two but when I look for the Emby Server Icon at step three (Package Center -> Explore -> Community) there is nothing for me to install. No App icon is present, I just see the Package Centre Icon with the wording "All packages have been installed" underneath.

Now my understanding from what I have read is that Emby will only work with Intel powered CPU variants.

Is this correct?

If not, can anyone direct me given the Noob status and whether I should even try with my entry level DS214se NAS to install Emby Server on it?

Evening @@Nic_J001

Check out the details here - http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/22921-synology-setup/?p=350707.

Emby is supported, but the first release of the Emby package for Synology supports Intel processors only. (as you will have seen here http://emby.media/nas-server.html)

So, for now, you need to follow the manul installation and update method.

ARM support will be coming very soon.

- James

• Like 1

solabc16

Thanks Luke.  I noticed that the instructions for replacing the default installation of imagemagick with "imagemagick-6.9.3-7_Q8" are no longer included.  I previously installed the Q8 version.  Should I revert back to the default version?

Evening @@DarWun

The updated version of ImageMagick referenced here was one that I provided some time ago to prevent issues with those using CoverArt on Intel based machines.

With the release of the Emby package for Intel based Synology devices, this is no longer required.

If you are running on a non-Intel platform, until we release the version of the package with ARM support, you should follow the manual install/update instructions which have been refined here http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/22921-synology-setup/?p=350707

- James

solabc16

@solabc16

Xpenology Build 

DSM 5.2-5644 Update 5

/root$ uname -a

Linux AJNAS 3.10.35 #1 SMP Tue Feb 2 17:44:24 CET 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux synology_bromolow_3615xs

/root$ dmeicode -t 4

-ash: dmeicode: not found

/root$ cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor : 0

core id : 0

apicid : 0

initial apicid : 0

power management:

processor : 1

core id : 1

apicid : 2

initial apicid : 2

power management:

processor : 2

core id : 2

apicid : 4

initial apicid : 4

power management:

processor : 3

core id : 3

apicid : 6

initial apicid : 6

power management:

Evening @@Wreid23

Although you are running on Intel hardware, this is not a native Synology NAS as I'm sure you know.

As soon as XPEnology have support for DSM6, you will have able to install the package as detailed here: https://emby.media/nas-server.html.

Until then, you can try using the manual install/update process detailed here: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/22921-synology-setup/?p=350707

- James

solabc16

After the installation of new version (Intel DS415+) and migration form old Syno version, all seemed well, however it has gone quite pair shaped. I have had permission issues with my Media folder, and all images from the Movie section are now missing except for Collections or those I manually added. I set library scans multiple times, stopped and started Emby many times. I set all my UFCs (over 100) to refresh a few times, I selected a handful of movies to refresh and replace all metadata and images, none of these refreshes have achieved anything.

I restored my Metadata folder from a backup created two days before this change was made, still no images, refreshes selected again, still nothing.

Screen shot of some, those with no movie name showing were selected for refreshes.

TV and Music is as it was, only Movies has this problem.

TSMS6nc.jpg

Evening @@KRULL

The installation itself only creates the 'embysvr' user, we did consider automating/pre-configuring libraries, but decided against it due to the almost limitless scenarios that end users are likely to want or have already created.

For that reason we create the user and provide a reference configuration here https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-Setting-Up-Your-Media-Library-Share, which is listed under the 'Next Steps'.

This will get new users to Synology and/or Emby up and running quickly and reliably, whilst providing enough 'clues' as to what is going on for the more experienced user to tailor the media library setup to their needs.

I'll pick up with you on your PM and work through the issues you are currently having there.

- James

Hi James, I fixed the permission issue, although I still have no idea how it happened, as I said, I have never touched Local Groups permissions before.

I was expecting that after the migration, and allowing Read/Write access to the 'embysvr' user, that was all that would be needed, and at first it seemed to be. I was testing this by playing from my Nvidia Shield via Kodi. The artwork issue I only noticed when I tried to move my UFCs out of the Movie field, and therefore started using the Emby interface more to check that happened to their artwork and the their collection.

That is when I noticed all of the Movie artwork had gone to crap.

The NEXT STEPS link above suggest I have to setup the libraries again, but that doesn't make sense, as that is the purpose of the migration package, and it worked fine except all of my Movie library has gone to crap with all artwork gone, and it won't add it. I feel like I will have to remove the Movie library completely and re-add it. This will suck if I had to, as there was a lot of artwork I sourced customised and added manually.

waughd

Hi All

FWIW DS1515+ 6GB RAM DSM 6.0.1-7393 Update 2

install went smooth and with no hitches

works fine as well

many thanks to those involved

Nic_J001

Evening @@Nic_J001

Check out the details here - http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/22921-synology-setup/?p=350707.

Emby is supported, but the first release of the Emby package for Synology supports Intel processors only. (as you will have seen here http://emby.media/nas-server.html)

So, for now, you need to follow the manul installation and update method.

ARM support will be coming very soon.

- James

Hi @@solabc16

Thanks for the information.

I tried but got as far as:

Add http://cytec.us/spk/ to Package center -->Package Source

Unfortunately, when I tried the cytec package it simply returned an error message of "Invalid location." The synocommunity packages loaded OK.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice on this?

Thanks

Nic

camielkb

Evening @@camielkb

What model Synology box do you have and what version of DSM are you running?

- James

Thanks for the reply James! I know what is wrong now. Running on a Xpenology too and just seen that it is only working on DSM6, wich isn't available yet. I'll just wait and stick to the old way! 

DarWun

I tried but got as far as:

Add http://cytec.us/spk/ to Package center -->Package Source

Unfortunately, when I tried the cytec package it simply returned an error message of "Invalid location." The synocommunity packages loaded OK.

I seem to recall having this issue as well.  Entering the package source for Cytec as https://cytec.us/spk/ fixed it for me.

No new items I add to the library will add new artwork, so it is more than just Movies for me, TV is also affected.

I gather I will have to remove and re create my libraries, which sucks as I will lose a decent amount of artwork.

DarWun

Evening @@DarWun

The updated version of ImageMagick referenced here was one that I provided some time ago to prevent issues with those using CoverArt on Intel based machines.

Thanks James.  I didn't realize that the updated version of ImageMagick was only meant for Intel based machines.  I have been using it on my ARM based NAS since it was posted.  Whoops.

solabc16

No new items I add to the library will add new artwork, so it is more than just Movies for me, TV is also affected.

I gather I will have to remove and re create my libraries, which sucks as I will lose a decent amount of artwork.

Evening @@KRULL

I suggest you hang fire until we can work through this. The media libraries are entirely independent of whatever version you are running. There is no reason for you to lose any customisations you have made. If you stop the new package and start the old package, you will be in no different a position to how you were before. As I mentioned earlier, the installer only creates the account under which the Emby Server runs and is entirely self-contained, so it makes no changes to any other existing data on the NAS.

My first suggestion is to get back to where you were before by stopping the new package and starting the version you already have installed. Let me know how that goes and we'll take it from there.

- James

Nic_J001

Installation

3. Download and Install ffmpeg from here: http://cytec.us/syno/test-spk/ffmpeg/

4. Download and Install emby from here: http://cytec.us/syno/test-spk/emby/

Hi DarWun,

Thanks for the help and apologies for the Noob questions in advance but I am very new to all of this and still learning. I have downloaded ffmpeg to my computer and tried to do the same for the emby version for my CPU by clicking on the link therein i.e. emby_armada370-5.1_3.0.5724.5-5.spk .

I simply get an error message as follows:

Hrm.

Wayback Machine doesn't have that page archived.

Want to search for all archived pages underhttp://cytec.us/syno/test-spk/emby/ ?

What should I do here, follow the link above or click one of the buttons above this error message for "Latest" or "Show All."

Also how do I actually install ffmpeg and emby as stated in steps 3 and 4?

Edited by Nic_J001