Synology Setup

Luke

• 2 weeks later...

Big thanks for this guide!

I've got running emby on DS411slim now and it works. Only webinterface is very very slow although free ressources on this machine. Don't know why...

First problem was Mono 3.12.1 from Synology Inc. so emby.spk doesnt want install because mono >3.6 was missing. It have to be Mono 3.10.0 from SynoCommunity.

• Like 1

miket5au

I have a Synology DS1815+ with 16GB of RAM.

I installed the avoton release (as it appeared to be the one rather than the x64 one) according to the information on the link. Before upgrading using the file from github I started emby and configured it with one media folder (a few hundred Movies). I connected with emby theatre and it does work but there were no thumbnails.

I then copied the files from the github link and changed the Q8 to Q16.

After restarting it still identifies (on the SYnology package center) as 5607, at the server console (http://192.168.0.234:8096/web/index.html) I see the text

Next Up

Sync

However connecting with emby theatre works fine and I can see posters and play movies.

How can I get the console to setup the rest of my media libraries?

AndyAndy

Hello,

I'd like to install Emby server to the DS215J but I can't find all the packages needed.

The CPU arch. is "Armada375" as stated in the link provided.

About Emby, I can find this: emby_armada375-5.1_3.0.5597.1-3.spk

About "ffmpeg", I can't find one for Armada375 here: cytec.us/syno/test-spk/ffmpeg, but only for Armada370.

Did someone made Emby working on DS215J ??

I hope someone can hel, thanks a lot in advance.

screech

I did... But it's pointless... DS215J is to small for Emby...

How I did it : 

modifying dependency : (mono>3.6, deleting ffmpeg so no transcoding)

using the same link as yours (except for ffmpeg I can't find too for Aramada375)

The result is horrible... Nearly all the memory (512Mo) sucked by Mono. A little scan use all proc and memory and during 2 or 3 h.

No transcoding (because no ffmpeg)

So Emby come back to my computer...

(sorry for my english..)

Ceejaynz

@@Gernash @@dreadino

Ho to resolve dependency Issues with current emby Synology Package:

1. Rename emby-Package so it ends with .tar

2. Extract it using 7-Zip

3. use an Texteditor like Notepad to edit the INFO file

4. edit row 17

install_dep_packages="mono>3.6:imagemagick=6.9.0-1:mediainfo=0.7.72-1:ffmpeg=2.6-3"

to:

install_dep_packages="mono>3.6:imagemagick>=6.9.0-1:mediainfo>=0.7.72-1:ffmpeg=2.6-3"

(notice it says >= instead of = for imagemagick and mediainfo)

And save it

5. Create a new .tar archive with 7-zip. 

6. rename the tar to .spk

7. Install from package manager

I have tried this several times, however when I try to upload the package it tells me"Invalid File Format".  Any ideas about why and how to fix this would be appreciated.

Gernash

It has to be done while in the zip(not extracted and repacked) also I think you need to change the checksum as well. I have not done it this way before just what I've read on forums. info file.

Ceejaynz

It has to be done while in the zip(not extracted and repacked) also I think you need to change the checksum as well. I have not done it this way before just what I've read on forums. info file.

Thanks for the help.  I'm not sure exactly how to do it while "in the zip" and have no idea about changing the checksum :(

memetopal

Hey guys!

I just successfully  finished installing emby on an xpenology nas, however emby is unable to find my media, which is stored in another synology device. I´ve tried  both using the server name and its IP address but keep getting "The path does not exist error". I have no problem accessing my movies from kodi or other computers and I had no problem configuring it when i had emby on a windows machine. Do you know what could be the issue?

BarryAmerika

Hey guys!

I just successfully  finished installing emby on an xpenology nas, however emby is unable to find my media, which is stored in another synology device. I´ve tried  both using the server name and its IP address but keep getting "The path does not exist error". I have no problem accessing my movies from kodi or other computers and I had no problem configuring it when i had emby on a windows machine. Do you know what could be the issue?

I tried to do the same thing with Unraid as the server and Xpenology as storage and got that error.

Other than checking your permissions and NFS share settings. See link below for how I got it to work but my unraid trial has long expired and I'm not using that setup now.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/22981-new-to-emby-and-loving-it-with-unraid-and-kodi/&do=findComment&comment=224998

audimaxa4

I've followed all the steps listed at the beginning of this post, all seemed to go well,  Emby shows as installed; however, it will not start.   There are no log files I can find, the view log link shows no data.

Using a Synology DS214Play

Linux DiskStation 3.2.40 #5592 SMP PREEMPT Wed Aug 19 13:37:26 CST 2015 i686 GNU/Linux synology_evansport_214play

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

memetopal

I tried to do the same thing with Unraid as the server and Xpenology as storage and got that error.

Other than checking your permissions and NFS share settings. See link below for how I got it to work but my unraid trial has long expired and I'm not using that setup now.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/22981-new-to-emby-and-loving-it-with-unraid-and-kodi/&do=findComment&comment=224998

@BarryAmerica thanks for responding. I am a real noob on this whole thing of permissions and network sharing so i don't know what to do. I tried reinstalling xpenology and giving it the exact same user and password as my Synology NAS that i use for storage but had no luck. Also updated to the latest Emby version following Luke´s instructions on the first post and now when i add my shares and hit enter it tries to scan the library but after a second it fails, however this time there is no "The path does not exist error". Does anybody no what could be going on? Any suggestion i could try? Thanks.

BarryAmerika

Hi memetopal.

I can't really help you as I don't know too much about linux shares myself other than what I've had to personally fix. You could probably spot the errors fairly easily in the logs too.

To start with I would put some media on the same device you have Xpenology on and see if that works. Just for a test, once you know it works locally you know Emby is functioning and can then work on sorting out your shares and network issues.

In my setup, Emby server needs to be able to write to the directory containing the media as well as read it. From memory my first step was to enable NFS shares as well as SMB. I don't have access to Synology but googling brings up this walkthrough.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/tutorials/616

I am fairly sure I had to edit the share permissions in a different spot to get it to work. Maybe on your Synology try navigating to the folder with FILE MANAGER and then selecting the top level directory with media and click on PROPERTIES. Might be under ACTIONS or something similar. I'd probably setup a dummy folder to work this out on because you have the possibility of messing something up, plus it's a lot quicker to index one or two TV shows and a couple of movies just to get it working. And make sure you set it to apply permissions to subfolders too.

I will eventually replace my NAS with something that has at least an i3 processor but for now I'm running Emby server on a cheap second hand PC I picked up which accesses the files via the network.

• 2 weeks later...
BarryAmerika

File Protocol: SCP

Hostname: IP address of your DS414 (eg 192.168.1.100)

Port number: 22

User name: root

Password: whatever your admin password is, probably when you log in to DSM

• Like 1

I have tried this several times, however when I try to upload the package it tells me"Invalid File Format".  Any ideas about why and how to fix this would be appreciated.

Hi All,

Yes, same issue here when trying to install on my DS214play. I'm on OSX, so can't use 7-zip as per the instructions exactly.

Renamed to .tar, extracted, then after editing the file, I recompressed using the tar command in the terminal. But same error: "Invalid File Format"

ETA: have also just tried compressing to tar.gz rather than just tar, but same issue after renaming back to spk and trying to install.

Any pointers appreciated!

Cheers

Brutha

Edited by Brutha

Open the file in the tar, change the file and save it.

Thanks for the reply! Do you know *how* I can do that? I cannot use 7-zip since I am on OSX.

I'm sorry, I don't know without 7-zip.

Search the same but with mac which open tar.

Thanks - yes, there are plenty of ways to open tar on mac - but I can't find one where you can edit the contents without extracting the file.

No worries, the search continues!

Edited by Brutha