Luke

Schreini

@@Gernash @@dreadino

Ho to resolve dependency Issues with current emby Synology Package:

1. Rename emby-Package so it ends with .tar

2. Extract it using 7-Zip

3. use an Texteditor like Notepad to edit the INFO file

4. edit row 17

install_dep_packages="mono>3.6:imagemagick=6.9.0-1:mediainfo=0.7.72-1:ffmpeg=2.6-3"

to:

install_dep_packages="mono>3.6:imagemagick>=6.9.0-1:mediainfo>=0.7.72-1:ffmpeg=2.6-3"

(notice it says >= instead of = for imagemagick and mediainfo)

And save it

5. Create a new .tar archive with 7-zip. 

6. rename the tar to .spk

7. Install from package manager

Edited by Schreini
  • Like 2

jefvanleeuwen

Depency issue: DS214+

Synology Package center today installed:

- imagemagic 6.9.1-1 and

- mediainfo 0.7.73.-2

However, Emby_evansport-5.1_3.0.5597.1_3.spk reports depency on (older?) versions of

- imagemagic 6.9.0-1 and

- mediainfo 0.7.72-1

How to solve this issue?

Thx

Jef van Leeuwen, Netherlands

Schreini

Depency issue: DS214+

Synology Package center today installed:

- imagemagic 6.9.1-1 and

- mediainfo 0.7.73.-2

However, Emby_evansport-5.1_3.0.5597.1_3.spk reports depency on (older?) versions of

- imagemagic 6.9.0-1 and

- mediainfo 0.7.72-1

How to solve this issue?

Thx

Jef van Leeuwen, Netherlands

@@jefvanleeuwen

See this Post:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/22921-synology-setup/page-2&do=findComment&comment=225118

dreadino

@@dreadino the source for the ImageMagick Package is the SynoCommunnity Repository which can be found here:

https://synocommunity.com/

Don't the provide a Package for the armada architecture?

I can see it on the website and it is tagged with ArmadaXp, but I can't see it in the package manager, even tried deleting SynoCommunity from the sources and adding it back, I still can't see it. I looked for an .spk to download manually, but I could find it.

BarryAmerika

My install keeps crashing. Is there any way to lower settings or something to keep it up. I'm looking at upgrading to a new NAS so it's no big deal but I'd like to try out some of the features before the trial runs out so I can decide if I can ditch plex. I'm running Xpenology on a HP Microserver rather than a proper synology NAS too.

Under debug logs I can see some recurring errors that I think are most likely based on the other replies here.

Error loading ImageMagick. Will revert to GDI.

and

App: ffmpeg is missing encoder libx265

ImageMagick (6.9.1-1) and FFMpeg (2.6.3) are both installed from Community repository and running.

My install keeps crashing. Is there any way to lower settings or something to keep it up. I'm looking at upgrading to a new NAS so it's no big deal but I'd like to try out some of the features before the trial runs out so I can decide if I can ditch plex. I'm running Xpenology on a HP Microserver rather than a proper synology NAS too.

Under debug logs I can see some recurring errors that I think are most likely based on the other replies here.

Error loading ImageMagick. Will revert to GDI.

and

App: ffmpeg is missing encoder libx265

ImageMagick (6.9.1-1) and FFMpeg (2.6.3) are both installed from Community repository and running.

Apologies, yea this is still a beta package so we're resolving the issues as we go. As for the trial though, no need to worry about that. We will not consider the beta period as trial so we'll happily extend until the issues are resolved.

BarryAmerika

Thank you, and no apology necessary, I know it's a work in progress.

I'm going to try and get it running it off another system in the meantime to get around the underpowered NAS anyway.

BarryAmerika

Thank you Gernash, I'm on DSM 5.0 still which doesn't support docker as far as I can tell.

It was the difficulty upgrading to DSM 5.2 that's made me think it might be time to upgrade the hardware. If I had some other storage to juggle all my data during the DSM upgrade I'd give it a go. It should keep everything but you never know and I'm not willing to risk it. I'm considering going to unRaid or Openmediavault as well as xpenology on a new build.

Gernash

Xpenology is way faster Network throughput. I have played with them all even with 1200 Mb/s raid arrays and bang for buck it's the best.(insert NAS war below:)

I know a couple of people that upgraded without issue but yea the ever present data loss...............

BarryAmerika

I'm quite happy with xpenology, does everything I need and does it easily. Just wish it was available as a legitimate standalone OS. Would make OS upgrades less fiddly.

FlyGuy94

I'm too running xpenology DSM 5.2 on a amd system from 2006 emby works well with docker as long as you don't update the docker package.

Gernash

@Vlaves

IF you are running XPenology then you can run an i5 or greater then run HD home run full transcoding server in an all in one BOX with Android TV as the frontend. (You could run in a VM with hardware passthrough for an added layer of fun then run media center with it :)

At the moment,to me, it seems ALOT of development is going on in 20 different paths towards the same goals. Because of this there are alot of changes happening our packages are a bit depreciated and if you want cutting edge then it's a bit away.

It all works but the mpeg is not optimized (docker is about 20% less overhead while transcoding) thumbnails take a long time to load this is imagemagic Q8(apparently Q16 can do Q8 via some sort of command) webm HTML5 streaming assistance (I think) which we don't have at all atm. The other issues are small and will most likely be resolved in server updates.

The advantage in docker is is all compiled and prelaoded and BAM it works. Unless you want UPNP or DLNA. on a synology.

THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY!!!!

Edited by Gernash

BarryAmerika

Gernash, I'm in the midst of a potential server replacement, I was looking at i3 to keep costs down but would rather spend a little bit more now than come up against the same problems again. Is i5 really necessary in your opinion? Currently I have loads of RAM but it's the CPU that just can't cope with the transcoding side of things. How much RAM do you recommend as a minimum?

Gernash

@BarryAmerika

Ambiguous question.

You have to work out what what is going to access the emby server. And how you are deploying it.

Chrome cast - 720p 4Mbps(what it likes) --> 1080p 30Mbps

if your trying to stream to more than 3x1080p wifi clients then you need a gigabit wifi.

I would also recommend teaming to a layer 2 switch with your NAS. I use a http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/details/cat-39_TL-SG3216.html to reduce any possible bottle necks

Then you have to decide if your running emby on a separate machine or on the NAS.

PC solution - Win 7/8 with MCE for primary TV(internal TV tuners or HD Homerun/Movie viewing. with Nas as Data storage.

Synology Solution - android Frontend with wifi clients Emby loaded locally (works mostly fine) in Docker container (DLNA.uPNP issues) HD-Homerun for TV

If your not cabling it all then Fast WIFI is a must. if you have an old access point see if it's DD-WRT capable as this seems to make android connection more stable.

Currently you would have to use an i5 to do these things full tilt. ( watching tv/recording TV/2 HD transcoded emby clients) as FFmpeg evolves you may be able to squeeze a 3rd HD stream in.

Ram - windows/synology 8Gb (I use 4Gb on my MCE as primary TV/Emby server idling after 24hrs)

I just purchased a MINIX NEO X8-H Plus a couple of days ago and testing to use as front end.

As Transcoding sucks for low powered devices and I personally am trying to limit transcode at 720p to unsupported clients so most of my gear just uses UNC passthrough and decodes with local HW. (HENCE all my activity lately trying to lube the bearings :D )

Edited by Gernash

BarryAmerika

Thank you. Sorry for the ambiguity, information on hardware for media servers seems kind of sparse.

I have an old HP Microserver running Xpenology 5.0 xx at present. It has actually failed to transcode (using plex) a few things completely, flat out refused. I have gigabit wired connections as well as gigabit wifi running. Clients include android tablets with sync for offline use, a Windows 8 NUC, and a few raspberry pi devices running Kodi with openelec. Directplay causes no issues.

My thinking is to use the old server as storage but run a windows machine running emby server for a year or so when this windows machine will then become the NAS and I will get a new workstation. This is where I'm coming from I guess, building a new PC that will become a NAS down the track. I'd prefer to just build a NAS now but I need a new PC and can't afford both. It's a juggle and compromise.

jefvanleeuwen

Oke thx,

I installed the Emby_evansport-5.1_3.0.5597.1_3.spk as described

It is running, and now I get a Emby notification for anupgrade to version 3.0.5641.4

I only can find the older 3.0.5597.1-3.spk for the DS214+ evansport.

Can anyone help me....

Thx

Jef van Leeuwen

Gernash

@BarryAmerika

I feel your pain, Spending money for CPU transcoding is the only real option atm, there is alot of buzz about HW transcoding support in ffmpeg but it a while off. 

BarryAmerika

Have sourced an older i7 2600 to run the server software under windows in the meantime, NAS being used as storage only. Working well so far other than android sync but have only just set it up and still tinkering.

Probably better for me in the long term so I can wait while Emby on Synology finds its sea legs. Also gives me a bit more flexibility while I work out my own needs.

Saw the new thread too, thank you for that.

• 2 weeks later...
Saidou

Tried it out today on my DS412+ and seems to work perfectly. (still scanning my media)

Going to compare with my Plex Server and compare both to see which of both I like most.

Thanks for the guide @Luke

Edited by Saidou