live tv

dylanrellis

As far as back-ends, definitely next pvr, but there could very well be as many as three. Just working on securing commitments from developers.

kreeturez

kree do you have the channel changing issue?

I'm using it via XBMC atm (XBMC has a plugin for it, as well as for MP) so I don't use it directly. (The Mrs likes this as a replacement for our old HD PVR :- )

In XBMC, using NPVR as a backend, changing channels doesn't require a stop; it takes about 2 seconds to do so, though. That said, I had the issue you describe using MP as a backend!! (ie, had to stop playback to change channels). Flawless in NPVR. So for me it was already worth it even when using it from XBMC.

I'll test a bit later directly in NPVR itself (I'm using 3.1.1 - check you're up to date?) and post here.

But regardless, if it's working well as an XBMC backend, I'm sure it'll be the same as a backend for MB3.

Edited by kreeturez

Deihmos

While NextPVR sounds really cool, is it possible to have MBT launch directly into WMC at LiveTV and RecordedTV for those of us crippled by US CableTV DRM schemes forced to use CableCARD's?

I think that this is possible with a Harmony remote but hitting the return button on the remote to go back to MBT would probably not work.

I am going to put this in the feature request section too but just thought I'd mention it here.

EDIT: I guess there isn't a dedicated feature request sub-subforum in the MBT subforum so I will leave it here. 

Why not use WMC with MBC? 

Edited by Deihmos

Ok I got MB3 and Roku working, I can access my shows that I recorded by NextPVR.  Is there a way to watch Live TV, Did I miss some setup instructions?

If you have a roku 3 then wait for the silicon dust latest TV Tuner to be released December 12th and it will do on the fly transcoding so that you can have live TV on the Roku. Only thing to be left to evaluate is the EPG and to best of my knowledge WMC still has the best interface when it comes to the EPG and listing of TV shows in addition to setting up recording sessions. It is not just the ability to have Live TV but also the User Interface into Live TV that is important.

Edited by On2Go
  • Like 1

Not sure the new SD tuner will make one bit of difference either way unless SD plans to make a Roku app for it.

Bushwalker

Hm, I can't find any Live TV interface on my server. I've installed Version 3.0.5082.3393 that is supposew to have, but I can't see it. Am I missing something?

Hm, I can't find any Live TV interface on my server. I've installed Version 3.0.5082.3393 that is supposew to have, but I can't see it. Am I missing something?

Yes, it isn't available yet. It is still being built.

• Like 1

So far most of it is marketing hype and the software for TV display may have to be created by users or other 3rd parties. Here are a few links to keep an eye on in the months to come and definitely CES is the place to get some final questions answered as well as to see what Silicon Dust has to offer.

Silicon Dust Forum

Newegg Preorder

Github Solution for HDHomerun PRIME (hdhr3-cc)

blublub

Hi!

Now that a live TV option will be available MB3-T looks like a real good alternative for Mediapportal.

Looking foreward to give it a try - any raodmap for a beta with TV support?

BTW: Why NextPVR and not ARGUS TV?

Hi!

Now that a live TV option will be available MB3-T looks like a real good alternative for Mediapportal.

Looking foreward to give it a try - any raodmap for a beta with TV support?

BTW: Why NextPVR and not ARGUS TV?

I've used both over the past year and NextPVR is much easier to use and set up. Both of them are difficult to get the guide set up but once that's done NextPVR was a better product for me.

For a smartphone would it be reasonable and not tread on the patent to show an hour slot at a time?

Swiping left or right decreases or increase the slot by one hour. Clicking on time directly allows to jump to different time/date. Im about to read through the patent but if the data is represented as a single column that is 'wiped/refreshed' each swipe than it shouldnt be considered a grid display. 

Redshirt

For a smartphone would it be reasonable and not tread on the patent to show an hour slot at a time?

Swiping left or right decreases or increase the slot by one hour. Clicking on time directly allows to jump to different time/date. Im about to read through the patent but if the data is represented as a single column that is 'wiped/refreshed' each swipe than it shouldnt be considered a grid display. 

The language of patents isn't the easiest to read. It would be fantastic if an energetic user were to do a little research into the various TV EPG patents and provide clear answers for what we can and can't do.

• Like 2

ernstgot

Any news on how its going, I am setting up a home DVR with a HTPC and would love to use MB3 with roku's as the extenders.  I know my provider doesn't do copy once and I am not looking to do premium channels.

Any news on how its going, I am setting up a home DVR with a HTPC and would love to use MB3 with roku's as the extenders.  I know my provider doesn't do copy once and I am not looking to do premium channels.

There are no dates on it, sorry.

Sweet. This is a killer feature! With this, the current in development clients, and Synolgy/Thecus NAS support, no one would need to work with another media program again!

ernstgot

Sweet. This is a killer feature! With this, the current in development clients, and Synolgy/Thecus NAS support, no one would need to work with another media program again!

I totally agree..  I hope the transcoding is good for streaming live over the internet.

• Like 1