live tv

dylanrellis

dylanrellis

just wondering what direction is live tv heading, nextpvr or? not worried about how far off it is, would be curious if an answer is possible tho. im playing with nextpvr atm.

While NextPVR sounds really cool, is it possible to have MBT launch directly into WMC at LiveTV and RecordedTV for those of us crippled by US CableTV DRM schemes forced to use CableCARD's?

I think that this is possible with a Harmony remote but hitting the return button on the remote to go back to MBT would probably not work.

I am going to put this in the feature request section too but just thought I'd mention it here.

EDIT: I guess there isn't a dedicated feature request sub-subforum in the MBT subforum so I will leave it here. 

Edited by Sammy

Exactly what I thought. The back button will probably take one back to the WMC menu strips.

That said, with a harmony remote a launch point can be put on the task bar in Win7 to return to MBT at the press of a remote button..

http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/05/media-center-command-line-switches.html

have a look at this you can create shortcuts to all areas of mediacenter. I've done this previously to shortcut them on my windows 8 start screen. I might Av another go at it actually now 8.1 is much improved!

i would have thought it would be easy to stick these shortcuts in theatre....

http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/05/media-center-command-line-switches.html

have a look at this you can create shortcuts to all areas of mediacenter. I've done this previously to shortcut them on my windows 8 start screen. I might Av another go at it actually now 8.1 is much improved!

i would have thought it would be easy to stick these shortcuts in theatre....

Yeah if there are entry points like that so it should be fine. I wasn't sure if it was possible, but looks so. I don't see why additional shortcuts can't be added to the wmc launcher.

• Like 1

There is a WMC launcher already. I'm not sure how much harder it would be to launch directly into Live TV and not sure if it is even possible. Where you might have problems is the back button won't take you back from WMC to MBT. 

Trouble is one needs a Network based TV Recorder (such as NextPVR etc.) if you're in a multi client setup where you only want to have the TV Tuners and Recorded TV folders to be located on the server. 

Considering MBT is a Client app to the MB3 server it makes sense to implement a solution that isn't crippled like WMC.

snazy2000

If i'm not mistaken all the TV stuff is done on the server and then can be streamed to the clients, which allows for many powerful things to be done like

Remote Recording from your phone for example

Multiple rooms and view multiple things (Depending on how many tuners you have installed)

there is many more just things that came to my mind :)

techywarrior

If i'm not mistaken all the TV stuff is done on the server and then can be streamed to the clients, which allows for many powerful things to be done

Correct. NextPVR will be the backend that handles actually recording the shows and getting the EPG data etc. Sven is working on integrating the backend into MBS so that you can control all the aspects of NextPVR from MB itself (no need to open NextPVR once it has been setup on your server)

Each MB client can then add support for Live TV and you can control it from the clients or watch shows etc. I believe that due to the way NextPVR is setup you will need to add a new library to MBS where the shows are recorded. I don't believe they will be able to automatically go into the appropriate library you already have setup for existing content.

mini__me

Hi there,

Any chance of other PVR models being adapted for use in MB3?

For example connection to the the recently released ServerWMC backend to allow access to WMC Live and Recorded TV in XBMC would be ideal for many MB3 users looking for "the next thing" to transition away from the now aging 7MC interface.

If you are unaware more info here :)

Nothing against what is in development already at all, and if a move to NextPVR is required so be it :)

ServerWMC looks like an interesting project. Would probably get more use in the USA where we are locked to cable cards for a lot of our TV viewing.

techywarrior

I don't whine that WMC hasn't been updated. I whine because it has bugs that are 10 years old that still aren't fixed. I would call it a very good product (I have been using it for years) but I wouldn't call it a finished product.

dylanrellis

Prob with next pvr is that you can't change channels without exiting and choosing again from the epg, along with much longer load times I'd call that crippled too. Peeped the forums and it seems every man and his dog has the channel changing issue most are simply used to it lol

dylanrellis

Name one live tv pvr app that can start live tv within 2 to 3 seconds, change channels in 1 to 2 seconds timeshift/skip flawlessly and not buggy/glitchy?

the only app you can name is wmc. Ppl whinge that it hasn't been updated, its a finished product lol.

jasonmcroy

I am really looking forward to being able to try live TV via the web server. This opens a LOT of possibilities for me personally depending on if other clients developers are willing/able to implement it in their app. 

If I can get MBT to play nicely with my current HTPC set up I could move away from MCE entirely. 

I think it is all a total matter of personal preference as to what set up you want to use. Giving us options is always nice in my opinion. If you are happy with MCE/MBC, Media Portal or XBMC, then hey, stick with it.

I am happy we have a set of developers for a system that are so willing and able to give so many options for one type of program. Between Android, Roku, iOS, web viewing, MBC, MBT, what more could you ask for! I think I am going to go and make another donation now. :-)

Redshirt

Just a heads up to anyone who like me is designing a paid client or plugin. The standard epg that we all know and love is actually a patented technology. So if anyone is thinking about using the grid style guide where the channels column is on the left and the list scrolls... You'll need to be careful you don't infringe on this, or other patents.

http://www.google.ca/patents/US7516470

kreeturez

kree do you have the channel changing issue?

Tested; no issues changing channels in NPVR itself, using 3.1.1.

Think this is a great choice of first backend for MB3!

that might not be a problem because that layout may not be feasible on a smart phone anyway, right? 

i'm sure we can come up with something else.

Redshirt

Until an hour ago it was the layout I was going to provide for tablets. Now I need to re-evaluate.

dylanrellis

I was using the latest npvr with lav for decoders and evr for the renderer, be nice if madvr worked. Had it going in xbmc too. I tried the ms decoder and still couldn't change channels

Here's a couple sneak peeks. As previously mentioned it's coming to the web client first. You'll be able to view the guide, channels, program listings, recordings, timers, watch tv, watch recordings, schedule/modify timers, etc.  And configure channel icons directly in the web client just like everything else.

All of these functions will be in the api for any client to utilize, so ask the developer of your favorite client to start thinking about it.

• Like 1

kreeturez

I've just moved to NextPVR from MediaPortal especially for this!

Cannot wait.

Also might add that NPVR was much quicker to set up than MP.

Thanks as always, Luke.