New to Emby - A couple of questions?

BeeGee

BeeGee

Hello all, I'm new to emby and trying to figure out a couple of things. Last night I downloaded the emby server for windows and then this afternoon I seen a video on how to configure emby with Kodi (xbmc).

https://youtu.be/4jp4m-Zkkuo

My first question is...Is it OK to remove the windows server and download and install the emby for kodi without any harm?

My second question is ... is there any links or tutorials on setting up my emby server?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. :rolleyes:

BG

Edited by BeeGee

yardameus

Here's the wiki to help with setting up the server.  http://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/49-server/ It's fairly simple, but can get more involved the more you want it to do.  You need to have Emby Server installed to use Emby for Kodi.  (Emby for Kodi refers to the server  for library info, metadata, play and resume state etc...)  Are there any particular issues you are having setting up the server?  

• Like 1

BeeGee

Are there any particular issues you are having setting up the server?  

Thanks Yardameus, No, not any particular problems. I was watching a vidoe and figured out that I could download emby for kodi and assumed that I had to remove my windows server in order to install the emby/kodi repository. I figured it all out. Yes, I believe it will take me some time to get use to the emby server or do you refer to it as the media center 3? Any who, I'm learning and always tinkering with something. I was trying to make a photo tutorial on how to install a kodi zip step by step and after 22 photo's I saved I thought to myslef, I bet they will change that interface again. :lol:

It seems that everytime I learn one thing about kodi it changes.

Thank You for the qucik responce.

BG

• Like 1

yardameus

Another thing to keep in mind is, you can even just use Emby Server as a metadata tool for Kodi, without even using the library database side of Emby for Kodi.  Right now, that's what I do, because I use Emby Theater more for browsing my library and watching movies and tv.  I use Kodi more for the plugins and music.

BeeGee

Another thing to keep in mind is, you can even just use Emby Server as a metadata tool for Kodi, without even using the library database side of Emby for Kodi.  Right now, that's what I do, because I use Emby Theater more for browsing my library and watching movies and tv.  I use Kodi more for the plugins and music.

Is there a tutorial or link on how to set up the meta data in kodi. I know I have seen that option before when right clicking on the program (in kodi) and configuring it?

Deathsquirrel

If you're new to this I wouldn't recommend Kodi as your starting client.  Work on setting up your server the way you like, get happy with the shape of your libraries and the metadata you're downloading, and use something like Emby Theater to test it all.  Kodi is its own animal and not necessarily the most user friendly thing ever.  There are surely many other fine adjectives for Kodi that are more appropriate than 'friendly'.

BeeGee

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Installation

I'd check this out, and make sure you've set up things how you want.  The main thing to get metadata settings compatible with Kodi is to make sure you are saving an nfo in the metadata settings in the dashboard configuration.

Thank You Yardameus. My Metadata is already synced just like yours. I will read on to the link later.

As a response to Deathsquirrel, I appreciate the suggestion but I have already downloaded kodi before emby, just never realized I could use both together. I will do as you suggest and try to find the Emby Theater. I know I seen the option when I was first installing the server but not sure where to find it now? Will look and use it. I'm new to all of this and trying to learn as much as I can but without learning the wrong way to do things. There are too many video tutorials and written tutorials on other persons opinions on HOW TOO... And it gets really confusing when you get conflicted content. I appreciate everyone's help and will focus on building my server and getting familiar with it.

I have Lots of Questions but here are just a few....

1. Will I be able to run my database/server on my Roku with the media browser app3?

2. How do I build my database? Do I download movies and TV series from Kodi or from emby? Just need to know how this works. (I'm a little confused as we are using links and repositories).

3. Can I sync media my terabyte external hard drive? NOTE: I did see the new plug-in for Cloud Folder, do I need to set up an account for this cloud folder and if not do I need to sync my external hard drive with a program?

More to come but just a few now. :P

BG

PS. I'm adding spell checker to my darn browser.

yardameus

No, this is just your media in the web client via Emby Server.  Emby Theater is a seperate client, similar to how things would be if you set up Emby for Kodi.  Except Emby Theater requires Emby Server right off the bat.  Emby theater is being developed to another level right now, but is still quite capable now.

Is your external hard drive always connected?  If so, you can link to it through Emby server.  Sync is used as backup or for creating multiple versions of a media file.

Roku has it's own Emby app, which you can install on your Roku to access your Emby Server library.

yardameus

Also, whatever movies or Tv Series you have on your hard drive that you include in the Emby Server library (when you setup the software) those will be included in your library database.  If you use Emby for Kodi, that will be integrated.  If you are just using the metadata services of Emby Server, than that will be reflected in Kodi when it updates it's database.

BeeGee

Thanks Yardameus, I thought I was loosing my mind? :lol:

I dont have any type of theater downloaded so are you saying there is none as of right now? I only have an emby server and am able to log into that on my browser and nothing else is installed.

Let me also share that I'm using Windows 7 with no Media Center because it was deleted about a year ago. The only way I have to accss anything thru my laptop is to either watch it from the laptop or plug my HD cable into the TV with my laptop. I did configure emby on my Roku. I'm hoping to buy an Android box next week to add kodi to but if emby is way better and it can be installed on a product I would be happy to do so. I just feel so lost. I'm new and dont know all the termanology or am not as familiar with how emby or kodi works. I have been playing with kodi just for a couple of weeks now but feel like I have watched a million vidoes and read about 100 books. Also the changes dont help with newbies but I do know it is well worth the sacrafice because I can see this being The Next Big Thing. I cut my cable last month and decided "No More"!

Also I posted something about my password if you or anyone else could help.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/22855-password-problems/

I do appreciate you taking the time out to help me. I'm very thankful for it.

BG

Macburp

Kodi is a complex and time-consuming beast to set up right. If you want to get something going on your android box quickly try one of the two android clients. The android mobile client is designed more for phones and tablets, but I've heard it works well on android boxes. The other client is designed for Android TV (Nexus Player, Shield) but works on other android devices too. YMMV

chef

You should,maybe, try installing emby theatre on your laptop. You could use that until you get the Andriod box figured out.

You can still plug it into your tv for now.

When you say that MCE was removed from your computer, did you know that you can turn MCE on and off? Was it actually removed or was it disabled in windows?

• Like 1

CBers

Kodi is a complex and time-consuming beast to set up right.

Not any more with the Emby for Kodi addon it's not.

I've never liked XBMC/Kodi, but I do find myself using it more and more with the addon, as it direct plays rather than transcoding.

• Like 2

BeeGee

You should,maybe, try installing emby theatre on your laptop. You could use that until you get the Andriod box figured out.

You can still plug it into your tv for now.

When you say that MCE was removed from your computer, did you know that you can turn MCE on and off? Was it actually removed or was it disabled in windows?

Well I finally figured everything out after hours of rtying diffrent suggestions. If I were new and had no idea about what I was doing I woud have been a very frustrated prospect and would have walked away from all of this with nothing positive to say about emby/media server but that is not the case and I love a good challange and never give up. :P

Chef, You are right, installing emby theater like you and so many others told me to do was what I needed to do, the problem was I did download emby theater with my windows download server a few days ago when I downloaded the software but the emby theater download and media player server are both named "setup.exe" so when I went to my downloads folder (a few days ago)  I had "setup.exe(1)", "setup.exe(2)", "setup.exe(3)". So I assumed I accidently downloaded the program too many times and cleaned out my file folders even though I was downloading different software.

There definitely needs to be a thread posted that says "NEW-Start Here" with just the basics as far as downloading whatever needs to be added to your laptop at least with a list or something. Maybe I will try and help with just a basic tutorial when I have enough time. I built a whole forum with all my questions and tutorials that helped many people in a very successful WordPress design forum (not naming) and I tested all WordPress software, plugins, templates, code, PSDS, and more. OK, well enough bragging, I want to get on with my new emby theater interface download, ohhhhhh, I'm so excited! :D

5590366e54b5c_setup.jpg

I just want to say THANK YOU to all who have helped me

Angelblue05, Thanks you for this suggestion,

"However, you can add your local Emby server web client to your Emby connect, by going in your local server dashboard > Users > Select the user and add in settings your Emby forums username. You will then receive an email to confirm you want to link the two."

A Big Thank You to

Angelblue05

Yardameus

Deathsquirrel

Chef

CBers

Macburp

And if I left anyone out a Big thank you to you also!

BG

• Like 2

im85288

Not any more with the Emby for Kodi addon it's not.

I've never liked XBMC/Kodi, but I do find myself using it more and more with the addon, as it direct plays rather than transcoding.

Well said, Kodi works out the box. Confusing the op by suggesting a different client when they have stated this is what they already downloaded surely just adds to the confusion.

chef

The "setup" files have been a problem from the begining.

That particular concern has been brought up serveral times on the tracker by new users.

It may have to do with builds being easily added to the admin server (the website server), it is super confusing.

Wonder when the Admin Devs will address it.

Edited by chef
  • Like 2