madvr

dylanrellis

im having trouble finding instructions, madshi.net doesn't have anything about madvr. the doom9 forum is just a download from 2009 and some image comparisons. once again 2009 for real? guess its been dumped like wmc.

can anyone point me to a decent guide, or share some config files or something?

No, no.. the latest MadVR version is Aug of 2013! The first post of that thread is used repeatedly for the update info... look at the date it was last edited. And go to the very end of the thread and see the post dates.

it's mbt. don't go chasing your tail around for a solution. it's just early and there are quite a few improvements and optimizations to make.

Hopefully this will help one of my HTPCs.

I have an i5 running with 8BG ram MBT using madvr/lav combination and smooth as butter.

I have a Zotac Zbox and cannot get MBT to play anything smoothly on it (no madvr, only LAV), but I can use JRiver MC on it using the Standard settings. I will keep trying on the Zotac as updates come.

Thanks!

Della Dog

MadVR works fine with very stripped down features (internal player) on my main HTPC (i7, 16GB, NV GTX 770), but works perfectly fine cranked up when launched in MPC-HC external.  The main culprit I am seeing is LAV splitter, which I have never had much luck with....I can use the exact same settings in LAV Video/Audio + MadVR with Haali splitter and everything is smooth as butter.  Swap Haali for LAV splitter and everything is choppy and out of sync. The problem is, I don't think there is a way to force a different splitter other than LAV's with the internal player.  

This seems unlikely as J. River's acclaimed Red October uses LAV exclusively. (Splitter as well)

it's mbt. don't go chasing your tail around for a solution. it's just early and there are quite a few improvements and optimizations to make.

Yesterday I watched a whole film using mbt and I didn't get any dropped or repeated frames, for now it just needs more juice than mpc-hc. I have never had any problems with lav filters, in fact it's better than anything out there.

nicko84

I've compared MBT with internal player, Madvr and Lav Filter with MBT with external player MPC-HC, Madvr and Ffdshow ...

In both case, Madvr is configured to adjust display mode with video frame rate (1080p23, 720p23...), i don't use DXVA to decode the video in Ffdshow 
and Reclock is not necessary.

With internal player video is never smooth...with external player video is perfect.

I already use MPC-HC with MB2 (and now with MB Classic) since 5 years with great success (Sandy-Bridge 2100T 2.5ghz...not a monster)

I tried to use MPC-HC with Lav Filters (external or internal to MPC-HC since the last release) instead of Ffdshow but it is not good...video is never smooth...

And what about using Ffdshow instead of Lav Filters in MBT ... or having the choise between Lav Filters and Ffdshow ?

Edited by nicko84

• 1 month later...
nickbuol

I know that this is a couple of months old, but I am looking for some tips for MadVR too.  I headed to the Doom9 thread, but there are currentl 21,321 posts in that thread.  Some really old.

I should be able to set up MadVR at the top setting as I have an i5 4670K (3.4GHz quad code) CPU, ASUS Radeon 7790 1GB GPU, G.Skill Ares 8GB DDR3-2400 RAM, on an ASRock Z87M Extreme4 mobo running Win7. This is a dedicated HTPC playback box.  No gaming, no DVR, no TV tuner.  I get stuttering from time to time with my blu-ray rips (all ripped as .MKV files) and I heard that MadVR should help. 

I am not asking that anyone solve my problems, but dang 21,321 posts is a LOT to weed through.

Mfusick

I have a hd6570 im assuming its decent enough

Not for 1080p video.   Nope.   You can probably do film,  or 720p video ok.

Depends on your setting.  Some settings are harder than others.   A higher level like JINC 3 + Anti Ringing takes a little more.   Usually a 7790 or higher is recommended for high levels of Madvr

Mfusick

I know that this is a couple of months old, but I am looking for some tips for MadVR too.  I headed to the Doom9 thread, but there are currentl 21,321 posts in that thread.  Some really old.

I should be able to set up MadVR at the top setting as I have an i5 4670K (3.4GHz quad code) CPU, ASUS Radeon 7790 1GB GPU, G.Skill Ares 8GB DDR3-2400 RAM, on an ASRock Z87M Extreme4 mobo running Win7. This is a dedicated HTPC playback box.  No gaming, no DVR, no TV tuner.  I get stuttering from time to time with my blu-ray rips (all ripped as .MKV files) and I heard that MadVR should help. 

I am not asking that anyone solve my problems, but dang 21,321 posts is a LOT to weed through.

Is there any special movie or file that does it-  or do they all do it ?

It sounds like you don't have hardware acceleration enabled for your ATI video card. Check that DXVA2 is enabled as that is the one supported by ATI cards, there is another one (can't remember what it is for Nvidia cards).

The option to select DXVA2 is under the LAV Filters settings, not madVR.

Edited by cylon

Ghostm

I cant say i have madvr working smoothly yet either, I just have integrated ATI card an (A10) works with madvr in mpc-hc smoothly, but i still get stuttering with madvr enabled in in mbt. Oddly i just noticed it only stutters in full screen, if i make mbt a small window, the video plays back smoothly. 

Does anyone have madvr working smoothly in mbt with another card? Otherwise im just going to be patient and hope for some extra tweaks yet to optimize performance in mbt. 

Edited by Ghostm

Working smoothly for me with madVR and MBT. I am using a laptop running both MBT & MBS connected to 30TB of storage on unRAID. Laptop has two video cards - Integrated HD4000 and a Radeon 7700M.

A bit of info on the latest Catalyst Control Center (CCC) and Switchable Graphics settings:

ATI recently modified CCC in a driver update and locked out most media based executables from using the faster GPU in the Switchable Graphics control panel.

Media Centre (ehshell.exe) and Media Player Classic Home Cinema (mpc-hc.exe) are locked to the integrated card. I worked around this for MPC by copying the executable and naming it mpc-hc2.exe then setting MBC to call it instead of the proper one.

I am not near my HTPC at the moment so can't tell you what settings I have. When I get home from work tomorrow I'll update this post with some screenshots.

Edited by cylon

nickbuol

Thanks for the quick responses yesterday.  I didn't get a chance to try anything new, but hope to mess with it a little bit tonight.

Is there any special movie or file that does it-  or do they all do it ?

It was random movies.  Some did it all of the time, others only some of the time (which is what made me uninstall everything and reinstall just the components for MBT as mentioned in my AVS thread).  Now it is just certain movies whenever I try to use any sort of "advanced" video processing like MadVR. If I turn it all off, no stuttering, but then I am also not getting the advanced processing that I want and paid for (via hardware).

It sounds like you don't have hardware acceleration enabled for your ATI video card. Check that DXVA2 is enabled as that is the one supported by ATI cards, there is another one (can't remember what it is for Nvidia cards).

The option to select DXVA2 is under the LAV Filters settings, not madVR.

Thanks for the response.  I will check this out tonight.  I thought that I followed "Assassin's Guide" for this, but maybe something got switched along the way in my implimentation.

@@Luke , do you recommend using madvr? I don't really know much about it other than it can apparently improve the look of SD sources. are there any other benefits I can expect to receive if I start using it on my htpc with mbt?

Also, I'm viewing mbt on a 65" panny, so the thought of improved SD quality piques my interest a bit.

Edited by pmac

Would you recommend using it? Like I said, I like the idea of better looking SD video, but I don't like the idea of having a lot of seperately installed codecs/etc. especially if they tend to lead to conflicts, and system lag, etc.

I'm running MBT on an i5-2400 3.10GHz, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6670, Win 7 64-bit. If that helps.

Basically, I'm wondering if you think installing madvr will benifit me in any way noticeable. I'd say about 80% of my movies are HD, and about 60% of my TV shows.

Another question, is madvr kind of "install and forget"? Or is there much maintenance/setup involved? Since reformatting my system, I've been shooting for the best quality/simplest setup I can achieve, without clogging my system up with stuff I don't need/want.

Mfusick

Thanks for the quick responses yesterday.  I didn't get a chance to try anything new, but hope to mess with it a little bit tonight.

It was random movies.  Some did it all of the time, others only some of the time (which is what made me uninstall everything and reinstall just the components for MBT as mentioned in my AVS thread).  Now it is just certain movies whenever I try to use any sort of "advanced" video processing like MadVR. If I turn it all off, no stuttering, but then I am also not getting the advanced processing that I want and paid for (via hardware).

Thanks for the response.  I will check this out tonight.  I thought that I followed "Assassin's Guide" for this, but maybe something got switched along the way in my implimentation.

Assassin guide on Madvr leaves a lot to be desired.  He basically just copied some stuff he saw on AVS and called it a day.   He's never been a fan of MadVR and doesn't actually use it so I am not sure how much trust you can put into that.  

You really need to go to the doom forum and ask there and those guys will fix you right up.   You followed the MPC-HC set up guide and got that working fine ?   I would follow basically the same idea but with MBtheater.  That's how I did mine and it works great.  I only have a 6870 Radeon,  but is seems to work pretty good for me.

Edited by Mfusick

Mfusick

The comment about hardware acceleration was a good one above BTW..   Nick I would check that.  If you have it set to "none" which is the default it will place heavy emphasis on your CPU to software decode and this can cause some stuttering.     Make sure it is set to "DVXA2 copyback" for your Radeon. 

52ce03c1b0d1a_400x400pxLL7f9a4b3d_Untitl

nickbuol

Assassin guide on Madvr leaves a lot to be desired.  He basically just copied some stuff he saw on AVS and called it a day.   He's never been a fan of MadVR and doesn't actually use it so I am not sure how much trust you can put into that.  

You really need to go to the doom forum and ask there and those guys will fix you right up.   You followed the MPC-HC set up guide and got that working fine ?   I would follow basically the same idea but with MBtheater.  That's how I did mine and it works great.  I only have a 6870 Radeon,  but is seems to work pretty good for me.

Yeah, tonight I basically went back through those instructions as a "guideline" and not a step-by-step since I am leaving MPC-HC off of the HTPC. 

The comment about hardware acceleration was a good one above BTW..   Nick I would check that.  If you have it set to "none" which is the default it will place heavy emphasis on your CPU to software decode and this can cause some stuttering.     Make sure it is set to "DVXA2 copyback" for your Radeon. 

52ce03c1b0d1a_400x400pxLL7f9a4b3d_Untitl

Yup, already had this selected.

It took a little bit to go through and reset everything, but it *seems* to be working well.

I was getting stuttering in Fast and Furious 6 before, and now I am not.  I just remembered that The Wolverine was stuttering too, but I've already shut everything down.  I will test that tomorrow.

So things seem to be OK.  I did notice that I had to change my A/V Sync on my Onkyo from 0ms to 95ms after setting everything up.  I wonder what will happen when I use a different source like our Dish receiver.  Maybe it has its own because I've now set everything going through the Onkyo to have that 95ms delay.

One giant step forward tonight, and just a tiny step back to figure that out.  I am not worried about my blu-ray or hd-dvd players and they are both getting removed soon since all of my movies are ripped to the server and anything new that I want to play will be either DVD or blu-ray rentals or movies my kids' friends bring over and they can play those on the HTPC.

So things are looking good.

Thanks for the touch of confidence for my madVR nervousness.  I was so worried that I was going to break something that I was afraid to change anything at first.

nickbuol

Outside of things running "smooth" now, how do I know that madVR is doing all that it should be doing?  I mean, in theory I could get "smooth" video playback on a cheap setup, but I wanted great quality and went for more horsepower to run things like madVR.  I just want to make sure that I am utilizing it.  Is there like a "status" overlay or popup that says "Hey, you are getting X, Y, and Z right now" ??

Thanks again.

So I decided to try out madVR, after doing some reading on here about settings, as well as a couple other forums, I'm finding that I don't notice very much change at all, regardless of the media I'm watching. The only thing I noticed that was any different, is by changing the chroma settings, that the video would get darker, but I wouldn't say it was any clearer or better looking by any means...

Can anyone suggest some settings I could try to get some benefits from madVR? I uninstalled it this morning, because I felt it wasn't really doing anything. But I want to give it the benefit of the doubt, and try it again. Since so many other users seem to love it, I'm assuming I just wasn't using it right.

-MBT on an i5-2400 3.10GHz, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6670, Win 7 64-bit

-Panasonic 65GT30

Thanks,

Patrick