madvr

dylanrellis

dylanrellis

just installed mbt, lav installed nicely and works well for both mbt and nextpvr, went to enable madvr and it seems I have to install it. I could google it and work it out but I want to do it in the most mbt friendly way possible, is there any particular steps I should take to ensure its intergrated properly? while im here should I get that reclock thing too?

it's an advanced feature. your htpc will need to have some horsepower to use it. if you don't know what they are, i'd take the time to learn about them first.

wraslor

Make sure your gpu has the horsepower.  Aside from that once you install it will work but there are a lot of tweaking options you can play around with in terms of quality/performance.  The only thing you really should do though would be to set your resolutions.  In mad vr setup you can define 1080/60 1080/24 etc and it will use that to auto switch for you based on media.

Make sure your gpu has the horsepower.  Aside from that once you install it will work but there are a lot of tweaking options you can play around with in terms of quality/performance.  The only thing you really should do though would be to set your resolutions.  In mad vr setup you can define 1080/60 1080/24 etc and it will use that to auto switch for you based on media.

Wondering how do you access the setup in MBT?

dylanrellis

madvr was mbt's biggest selling point... I want it. I have googled for it and im finding downloads from like 2009, that's 5 years ago, cant help but wonder whether I want such old junk on my system.

is there a recent release or? can someone point me to the best download source please, ill figure out how to use it

dylanrellis

thanks guys, mighta been abit off the wall with that selling point comment sry, I can definitely see plenty of other "selling points" lol.

elshagon

If I have lav filters installed previously for media player classic do I need to install them still for MBT or just point to a folder or something?

Only running through Intel HD graphics so have to be careful what to adjust in MadVR without affecting frames.  I notice that blacks are better with MadVR on my TV, and yet Lav seems kind of grey.
Also feel 24fps switching with MadVR does not feel as smooth as running without auto refresh rate changes.  Noticed this moreso on tv series mkv's.

You do know that for 23.976 films you need to set 23hz refresh rate in madvr option.

Also check out if you've set tv or pc levels for output as it may turn out you are crushing blacks.

I think it might be a good idea to read madVR thread. It has tons of good advice and perhaps will run on the feature smooth motion frame rate, among many others. Will also say ... I know very few TV that supports RGB 4:4:4 in movie mode, only in PC mode. So why use auto refresh rate when we have smooth motion frame rate.

Edited by JLPFLD

Seems better now.  I have vigorously gone through the MadVR forums and so much mumbo jumbo.

Running auto refresh with settings of 1080p23, 1080p24, 1080p50, 1080p60  (or should I just have 1080p23?)

Output is set to PC 0-255 (Sony Bravia supports this)

Smooth Motion on, and set softcubic to 100.

Seems better now.  I have vigorously gone through the MadVR forums and so much mumbo jumbo.

Running auto refresh with settings of 1080p23, 1080p24, 1080p50, 1080p60  (or should I just have 1080p23?)

Output is set to PC 0-255 (Sony Bravia supports this)

Smooth Motion on, and set softcubic to 100.

Do it? Follow madshi instructions.

If you want to test whether your display supports RGB in 4:2:0, 4:2:2 or 4:4:4, you can use this test image. Make sure you display it with 1:1 pixel mapping, otherwise it won't work.

Smooth Motion will need a high a refresh rate as possible, not with the auto refresh rate.

I cant get madvr to work properly on my htpc with mbt. I might try to install mpc-hc to rule out pc issues/power. I used very low level settings, and setup resolution changing, i basically selected the LOW settings from above.

I have an A10 5800k ati htpc, using copyback mode. I did not install reclock, i dont have it in my desktop pc either which has ran madvr+mpc-hc for a year.

Not really sure whats wrong, should exclusive mode be unchecked for use with mbt at the moment?

The picture is just incredibly choppy despite pc usage at 40%.

Honestly as a (former) xbmc user i would like to see built in scaling with DXVA Best option for deinterlacing, i know the latest xbmc can do that, i like vector adaptive deinterlacing from my ati card, and built in xbmc supports lanczos 3 tap scaling with it which was good enough for me and cpu usage was very low and you dont have to mess with madvr unless your enthusiast. I dont have many dvd's and the only time i could notice madvr benefits for my bluray collection was on spears and munsil test patterns, and the content I watch does not include test patterns :)

Edit-Appears to be working fine in mpc-hc no stuttering, not sure whats going on with mbt and madvr for me.

Also its nice madvr has refresh rate changing, i really would like to see this built into mbt as well (like xbmc) and allow the user to specify when the refresh rate should change, right now if you set madvr to 1080/23.967 and you play a bluray, when you hit stop and go back to the mbt gui your desktop sits at 23.967  refresh rate yet, making the gui less smooth, instead of reverting back to 60hz when the movie is stopped. 

Edited by Ghostm

I do not recommend madVR together with the internal player, there are too many functions that are not supported as it is now. Eg exclusive mode and smooth motion.

steelman1991

Is there anything that would suggest smooth motion isn't working/supported at the moment. I have tried both external/internal player and can see no marked difference in playback - mind you I don't use refresh rate changing - run everything at 60Hz and activate smooth motion - all refresh rates run perfectly well to my eyes.

dylanrellis

im having trouble finding instructions, madshi.net doesn't have anything about madvr. the doom9 forum is just a download from 2009 and some image comparisons. once again 2009 for real? guess its been dumped like wmc.

can anyone point me to a decent guide, or share some config files or something?

Rasputin

MadVR works fine with very stripped down features (internal player) on my main HTPC (i7, 16GB, NV GTX 770), but works perfectly fine cranked up when launched in MPC-HC external.  The main culprit I am seeing is LAV splitter, which I have never had much luck with....I can use the exact same settings in LAV Video/Audio + MadVR with Haali splitter and everything is smooth as butter.  Swap Haali for LAV splitter and everything is choppy and out of sync. The problem is, I don't think there is a way to force a different splitter other than LAV's with the internal player.