Auto Box Sets (Show Missing Collection Items)

Tolerant

• 2 years later...

Its a nice idea but has the prerequisite of the server and all apps understanding the concept of a "Missing" movie.  As all requests, though, we are monitoring for support.

Thanks.

• Like 1

mastrmind11

Its a nice idea but has the prerequisite of the server and all apps understanding the concept of a "Missing" movie.  As all requests, though, we are monitoring for support.

Thanks.

ok thanks.  But wouldn't it be as simple as check the array of movies w/ the same group id against the array of existing movies in Emby, spit out the movie id and present it (either by a red missing count icon on the collection page or as a poster within the collection, or both)?

But wouldn't it be as simple as check the array of movies w/ the same group id against the array of existing movies in Emby, spit out the movie id and present it (either by a red missing count icon on the collection page or as a poster within the collection, or both)?

In a word, no.  :D

• Like 1

Tolerant

I can't help but think about the "missing episode" report and just wonder why, something similar isn't available for movie collections. Movie collections are imo, very similar to a mini series or tv series.. but with 2-3+ episodes. Can't something along those lines be worked out?

I can't help but think about the "missing episode" report and just wonder why, something similar isn't available for movie collections. Movie collections are imo, very similar to a mini series or tv series.. but with 2-3+ episodes. Can't something along those lines be worked out?

Yes and that's exactly what I mentioned above.  That concept would have to be designed, implemented and tested throughout the entire system of server and all apps.  That has not been done at this point.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

To add to this idea, it would be great if an actor's page would show all movies and TV shows they appeared in (based on their themoviedb listing). Right now, it shows all movies and TV shows that are already in your library. But it would be great to expand on this, and also show items they star in, but aren't in your library.

You could either separate it into two sections: keep one the way it is, then have an additional section below it for items that are not in your library. Or they could be integrated, and have a badge or marker on the ones that exist in the library...

Either way would be pretty cool, I think.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
MikePlanet

To add to this idea, it would be great if an actor's page would show all movies and TV shows they appeared in (based on their themoviedb listing). Right now, it shows all movies and TV shows that are already in your library. But it would be great to expand on this, and also show items they star in, but aren't in your library.

You could either separate it into two sections: keep one the way it is, then have an additional section below it for items that are not in your library. Or they could be integrated, and have a badge or marker on the ones that exist in the library...

Either way would be pretty cool, I think.

I would really vote for that. I think best implementation would be to add a new section to the people page - we already have movies, series episodes trailers - and could add another section for movies/series not in the library. Getting that data from TMDB is easy and the result needs to be disscted with the local content.

e.g. https://api.themoviedb.org/3/person/4521/movie_credits?api_key=api_key&language=en-US for movies

We could even link to online trailer, if they are delivered within tmdb (istn't trailers doing it similar already!?) - and link to the tmdb page - similar to the link already existing in the movie page.

@Luke: Is it possible to implement such thin as a plugin - will a plugin be able to add the required section to the GUI?

will a plugin be able to add the required section to the GUI?

No, but inside of it's own configuration area it could do some kind of report about this information.

Good day,

I really like this suggestion.

In a word, no.  :D

I do not think anything hard to you Ebr :)

My best

Something like this has to be designed very carefully because doing what you suggest will effectively explode your library to include every movie ever made...

• Haha 1

Something like this has to be designed very carefully because doing what you suggest will effectively explode your library to include every movie ever made...

I agree. But just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting adding anything to the library. If it is possible, I think links would be sufficient. You currently do something like this with trailers, which aren't physically in the local library.

• 2 months later...
MikePlanet

@ebr: No, only the movies within the collections the user owns - so it should only be a few, when the collections are close to complete - otherwise a few more. If a user has 500 collections and each is missing 2 items, it is 1000 additional items - not really much.

What you describe applies to another feature request - to show missing movies by an actor/person. THIS would probably explode the library very much, as adding x items for 100.000 persons would be ... "a lot".

What you describe applies to another feature request - to show missing movies by an actor/person. THIS would probably explode the library very much, as adding x items for 100.000 persons would be ... "a lot".

Correct, and that is what I was responding to (I quoted it in my response).

Tolerant

Honestly I was just looking for something that would "see a collection, look at it, see if you had it all, if not.. show you what you are missing" .. but ONLY for existing collections. The "consuming" part of that is.. does the user have only 1 movie set as collections.. or 2.. or 3.. If so, get the details on whats missing and treat them as "missing episodes" etc.  I wasn't suggesting all this show every movie every actor has ever done stuff..  .. Just help me fill my collections that are not complete.  The info is there.. in the same place as you get the collection info from in the first place.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

It seems that by using themoviedb.org as a source, they already have collection information available along with which items are in a given collection.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
rocketkarl

This is exactly what I'm looking for.  Right now I'm manually comparing my collections with TMDB to see what I'm missing.  The TMDB link in each Emby collection is very handy for that!  But its still very time consuming, and  would be much greater to have Emby do that comparison automatically, and show those missing ones as greyed out, or with a red X, or something along those lines.

I understand the Auto Box Set architecture doesn't currently support doing that without more extensive changes.  So I wonder if it could be a post-processing thing instead?  Perhaps the Report plugin could have an option to display "Movies Missing from Box Sets" as one of the reports?   This would certainly accomplish my goal of seeing my "need to acquire" list - without confusing the Emby clients apps by displaying movies that aren't really in my library ... yet.  

Thanks for the consideration.

Edited by rocketkarl

• 4 months later...
rbjtech

Did anything ever come of this as this would be a really cool feature - even if it just dumped the missing films into a text file or added the info into the log.

I noticed on a recent debug log, that the Auto-Box set is logging a pretty comprehensive list of what it finds in the Collections - it's just a real shame that it doesn't list 'did not find X' as I could then at least pull that out the logs.

2019-03-24 21:55:22.186 Debug Auto Box Sets: Found box set 453993 with 2 members.
2019-03-24 21:55:22.187 Debug Auto Box Sets: Box set already exists. Will confirm members.
2019-03-24 21:55:22.187 Debug Auto Box Sets: Member The Wolverine already exists
2019-03-24 21:55:22.187 Debug Auto Box Sets: Member Logan already exists

I'm missing "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" so could the plug-in simply write this to the log with something like -

2019-03-24 21:55:22.187 Debug Auto Box Sets: Member X-Men origins : Wolverine missing

..and then I can scrape the log file for the word 'missing' to get a list of all my missing titles ?

For items that aren't even collections (as there is only 1 item) - then it seems to identify these too.

2019-03-24 21:55:22.186 Debug Auto Box Sets: Found box set 531242 with 1 members.
2019-03-24 21:55:22.186 Debug Auto Box Sets: Ignoring set because only has 1 member (needs at least 2).

..so don't ignore it - write an entry on what movies are missing !

It's a shame this is actually only visible in 'Debug' log mode - as it's actually really useful !

Thanks.

• Like 1

I don't believe the plugin ever actually gets a list like that from moviedb.

I think that it does is take the tmdb collection id from your movies and then look up the collection metadata with that, and then use that to create the collection.

• Like 1

Correct.  Those "Already Exists" messages are for items in your library and already associated with the collection.

• Like 1

rbjtech

I don't believe the plugin ever actually gets a list like that from moviedb.

I think that it does is take the tmdb collection id from your movies and then look up the collection metadata with that, and then use that to create the collection.

So it's not actually looking at the entire collection, it's just matching one or more identical collection ID's in your library and listing what the movie is - gotcha.

That's a shame.

Thanks to you and @@ebr for confirming anyway.

btw ebr - I had a look for the source code on github but could not find it for this plugin - is it available or is it closed source ?

Edited by rbjtech

The source is not available but changing the plug-in would not do you any good due to:

Its a nice idea but has the prerequisite of the server and all apps understanding the concept of a "Missing" movie.