Fan Art Question - Artist Fan Art in Album/Song views?

Setzer1994

Setzer1994

I have been trying out Emby over a MySQL setup and so far so good.  I'm ready to make a permanent switch if I can just figure out this one little issue I'm having.

When the MySQL server was controlling the databases, Artist fan art (and extrafanart) was displaying in any folder/subfolder that was "below" the artist structure.  Meaning, if I have fan art in /media/music/Van Halen/extrafanart, it would also display in Kodi when I'm at the album level ( media/music/Van Halen/1984 ).

However, Kodi is no longer displaying the fanart when I'm browsing songs within an album.  For example:

558a926f6ac9b_album.png

But when I get to the song level, it displays the default backdrop instead:

558a9292b1e98_song.png

It's definitely something I'm missing with the Emby setup.  When I delete the emby addon and re-add the MySQL references to my advancedsettings.xml file and restart, everything goes back to normal.  I've also tried deleting .nfo files and that does not help.

Any thoughts?  Is there a simple setting that I'm missing?

Setzer1994

I've tried re-running through some MP3s through MusicBrainz, no luck.

Changed a bunch of settings in Emby, no luck there either.

Went through Artist Slideshow settings in Kodi, didn't work.

About out of options, anyone have any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...
Setzer1994

Ok so I think I discovered an issue -

I went into my Kodi log and saw these lines:

10:15:00 T:4356  NOTICE: Thread BackgroundLoader start, auto delete: false
10:15:02 T:3012  NOTICE: Previous line repeats 1 times.
10:15:02 T:3012   ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting smb://192.168.1.12/M/Music/Van Halen/1984/extrafanart/
10:15:10 T:3736   ERROR: Previous line repeats 1 times.

Basically, Emby is looking for an extrafanart directory that doesn't exist.  Is there a setting in the server that allows defaulting to the artist extrafanart folder instead of looking for one in each album?

marcelveldt

I am going to do some work on the music section of the addon next week, I will also fix this. BTW: It depends on the skin you're using if this works or not. Most skins do not support extrafanart.

Setzer1994

marcelveldt - thank you so much for the reply.  I am using a supported skin, specifically the MQ6 beta.  It uses the Artwork Slideshow addon, which pulls down the images for display from the /extrafanart/ artist folders.

• 3 weeks later...
Setzer1994

marcelveldt -

I installed the latest Beta 1.1.25 and this has mostly been fixed, thanks again!  Basically what it is doing now is now displaying the default fanart with the song view, but still searching for a non-existent extrafanart folder under the album (essentially same log snippet as before). 

Obviously the default art is much better than a blank screen, but just wanted to let you know that I tested it and got the same errors in the log.

Thanks again!

marcelveldt

Extrafanart for music is not natively supported by Kodi. There are a few workarounds in some skins but most of the times they do not work properly.

This is NOT an issue with the Emby addon but with the skin you're using. First, because at the album and artist level, Kodi has no clue about the actual file path (because that is only stored at file level). Some skins work aroud that by letting you supply the path to your musiccollection and they "try" to locate the artwork. In this case your skin tries to locate the artwork at the album level while it should look one level further up (artist level).

BTW: I'm about to publish some helper scripts for Kodi skin devs to workaround these issues but it will take a little while before this will be available.

The default (single) fanart images at the album and song level is stored in Kodi (and so by the Emby addon) and that was fixed a few days ago which you confirmed, right ?

Edited by marcelveldt

Setzer1994

Extrafanart for music is not natively supported by Kodi. There are a few workarounds in some skins but most of the times they do not work properly.

This is NOT an issue with the Emby addon but with the skin you're using. First, because at the album and artist level, Kodi has no clue about the actual file path (because that is only stored at file level). Some skins work aroud that by letting you supply the path to your musiccollection and they "try" to locate the artwork. In this case your skin tries to locate the artwork at the album level while it should look one level further up (artist level).

BTW: I'm about to publish some helper scripts for Kodi skin devs to workaround these issues but it will take a little while before this will be available.

The default (single) fanart images at the album and song level is stored in Kodi (and so by the Emby addon) and that was fixed a few days ago which you confirmed, right ?

Thank you very much for the additional clarification.  Yes, I am confirming that the default fanart is displaying at the song level.  I'll follow up with the skin developers to see if they can investigate further.

Thanks again for all your help.