Please help me recover Emby/MediaBrowser Server on CentOS 6.6

stangri

stangri

I was running whatever version of the MediaBrowserServer was available in the official CentOS repo and struggling to login with both local and proper accounts before I found this post: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/13398-fedoracentos-rpm/page-3&do=findComment&comment=217067

I followed procedure mentioned (replacing Fedora with CentOS) with disastrous results as explained further down in linked post.

Then I discovered that the instructions on the download page have changed, so I've disabled the new "emby" repo, force-reinstalled the repo linked from CentOS install page (https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/raw/master/Repository/MediaBrowserServer-repositories.noarch.rpm), updated it and in general followed the new download page procedure.

I now have this:

[root@box]# service MediaBrowserServer start
Starting MediaBrowserServer:
[root@box]# service MediaBrowserServer status
MediaBrowserServer dead but pid file exists
  at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable+ConfiguredTaskAwaiter.GetResult () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MediaBrowser.Server.Startup.Common.ApplicationHost+<Init>c__async1.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

If anyone can help me recover my install (as in make it work again, I don't care about the library) I'd be very grateful.

I'm not a guru so I may have left some traces of the earlier installs so I hope someome can find it in their heart to help me by posting commands/script which will remove everything emby/MediaBrowser already installed to have my box prepared for a proper clean install of the current and future-proof version of emby server.

Thanks!

stangri

BTW, going thru the steps above also resulted in me unable to sudo after I logged out:

$ sudo -s
sudo: >>> /etc/sudoers.d/emby: Alias `RESTARTSERVER' already defined near line 1 <<<
sudo: >>> /etc/sudoers.d/emby: Alias `STARTSERVER' already defined near line 1 <<<
sudo: >>> /etc/sudoers.d/emby: Alias `STOPSERVER' already defined near line 1 <<<
sudo: parse error in /etc/sudoers.d/emby near line 1
sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting
sudo: unable to initialize policy plugin

Had to login as root at the console and move the faulty file.

What a disaster this upgrade turned out to be.

• 3 weeks later...

BTW, going thru the steps above also resulted in me unable to sudo after I logged out:

$ sudo -ssudo: >>> /etc/sudoers.d/emby: Alias `RESTARTSERVER' already defined near line 1 <<<sudo: >>> /etc/sudoers.d/emby: Alias `STARTSERVER' already defined near line 1 <<<sudo: >>> /etc/sudoers.d/emby: Alias `STOPSERVER' already defined near line 1 <<<sudo: parse error in /etc/sudoers.d/emby near line 1sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quittingsudo: unable to initialize policy plugin
Had to login as root at the console and move the faulty file.

What a disaster this upgrade turned out to be.

I would suggest two approachs:

1- if possible reinstall from scratch CentOS and move to version 7. The install Emby using the latest repo and instructions.

2- if 1- is not possible for whatever reason you should try to remove Emby and MediaBrowser packages and deps.

If you choose 2- start by making sure you have yum remove leaves plugin installed since it will be very helpful.

Then remove emby and mediabrowser packages (using yum and the remove leaves plugin). Also remove all Emby and MB repos.

Check that there are no traces of them in /var/opt and /opt.

Then start fresh with the latest repo and Emby package.

Let me know if you need a detailed procedure and I will try to help you with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by fc7
  • Like 1

stangri

Thanks, in case anyone else runs into the same issues I've also had to:

rm -rf /opt/MediaBrowser/

rm -rf /opt/Emby/

delete both Emby and MBS repos from /etc/yum.repos.d/

yum --remove-leaves remove MediaBrowserServer-repositories-1-21.1.noarch

then I just followed the current instructions from the download page.

I still get:

Version 3.0.5607.2
A new version of Emby Server is available!
Version 3.0.5641.4 is now available for download.

in the server information, but at least I can login (at least from the web app, haven't tried anything else yet) and initiate the playback.

Do you know if the official repo I installed will be migrated fully to the "emby" builds or at least updated to the later MBS builds?

PS. After I reinstalled MBS it seem to have recalled my old settings/users/folders. Did I miss something when removing stuff?

Edited by stangri

Glad it worked!

Did you clean up all traces of Emby and MB package from /var/opt?

That's the place where Emby saves all the configs and library data. So if you didn't cleaned that your settings were kept.

Regarding the repo, I hope it will be kept up to date. But it's not very clear yet. Luke said they are working on new packages. We will see if there are more changes or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by fc7
  • Like 1

stangri

Did you clean up all traces of Emby and MB package from /var/opt?

Hey, thanks again for replying from your phone (it's a chore for me to type on the phone due to my fat fingers ;)).

No, I didn't, I missed it in your instructions and went to /var/ and /opt/. 

Anyways, new problem -- I don't seem to get any thumbnails generated for my videos, even tho ImageMagick-6.9.0-22.1.x86_64 is installed.

Any errors in Emby logs?

To be honest I didn't try the packages from the new repo yet. I'm still using the deps from the older repo, I built my own Emby rpm using the latest version available (5667) and then I just installed it. No problems so far.

Edited by fc7

stangri

Any errors in Emby logs?

To be honest I didn't try the packages from the new repo yet. I'm still using the deps from the older repo, I built my own Emby rpm using the latest version available (5667) and then I just installed it. No problems so far.

yep, lots of:

no decode delegate for this image format `JPEG' @ error/constitute.c/ReadImage/501
	ServiceStack.HttpError
	No Stack Trace Available

It really looks like an ImageMagick issue.

I installed ImageMagick from the "old" MediaBrowserServer-Dependencies repo (the one still published in Emby web I think under CentOS section in downloads) and my package version is: ImageMagick-6.9.0-26.1.x86_64.

I would suggest you to try to upgrade to that package by addind the repo and using yum update.

Edited by fc7

stangri

It really looks like an ImageMagick issue.

I installed ImageMagick from the "old" MediaBrowserServer-Dependencies repo (the one still published in Emby web I think under CentOS section in downloads) and my package version is: ImageMagick-6.9.0-26.1.x86_64.

I would suggest you to try to upgrade to that package by addind the repo and using yum update.

Here's what yum info shows:

Installed Packages
Name        : ImageMagick
Arch        : x86_64
Version     : 6.9.0
Release     : 22.1
Size        : 427 k
Repo        : installed
From repo   : MediaBrowserServer-Dependancies

And there's no newer version available in the MBS-Deps repo. I'm reluctant to try to enable Emby-Deps repo instead. Or should I? How?

Edited by stangri

Well I checked my server and my ImageMagick package is also from MediaBrowserServer-Dependancies repo, same version 6.9.0 but the release number is bigger 26.1 and the size is also bigger 771k. Now, I never used any other repos than the official one for MediaBrowser (before switching to Emby). If I were you I would try to check in every repo available (MB or Emby) if you can find this version. For me is working fine even now that I'm running Emby 3.0.5675.1 (the latest and greatest).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stangri

emby-deps repo mentioned in the CentOS thread here has even older ImageMagick.

the newer version ImageMagick is only in the MBS-Deps for CentOS 7, which is why I'm guessing you have a newer version on your system -- because you're on CentOS 7.

it's a shame CentOS 6 package has been abandoned by the dev team.

stangri

i believe the instructions on the website are good for 6 and 7, no?

The ImageMagick in MBS-Deps depo is outdated for 6 resulting in no thumbnail previews for videos.