Additional articles (A, An, The) sorting toggle.

Guest topbanana

Deathsquirrel

Would love to see an option somewhere so it can sort on the full title (within the interface)

having something like 'The Hobbit' sorted under H makes no sense to me

If you set the Sort Name in the metadata editor for that title to 'The Hobbit' it will sort into the T's and your inner librarian will die a little.

paulsalter

Thats what i have done, but its time consuming when you have lots of movies and tv shows all wrongly sorted by ignoring The/A

A simple option would be nice to show either way

Koleckai Silvestri

Thats what i have done, but its time consuming when you have lots of movies and tv shows all wrongly sorted by ignoring The/A

By wrongly sorted, do you mean the way that titles in the English Language have been sorted since the early 1600s CE? Though that in itself was just an extension of sorting Latin based words that was established in the 3rd century BCE.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

Deathsquirrel

They aren't sorting incorrectly when they put 'The Hobbit' under the letter H.  They may not be sorting the way you want but they aren't sorting incorrectly.

Go to a library, a video store, a music store, etc., and note that while many, many titles and band names start with 'The' that the most populated shelves in the place aren't the Ts ;)

Guest topbanana

Both are correct, legitimate sort orders.

Both have their uses.

I'm definitely not requesting the default behavior of emby be changed... I actually do think that the current Title sorting, ignoring the articles, is the correct default order...  But sometimes i really need it sorting by name/filename/however it's termed, i don't mind...

Editing is not an option, especially when libraries have 1000s of movies/shows... and it means you can't then sort it the other way!

Also, we are able to modify the code... Software is created to make everything easy/possible!

It is the simplest, most popular sort-order know to mankind...

Guest topbanana

Just reformatted my laptop/emby server, so have been reinstalling it and it's been rebuilding the libraries...

The idea of editing entries as suggested earlier is just not viable.  Unless you only have 20 movies if your collection!   :lol:

Guest topbanana

I want/need/would like/would appreciate both sort orders...  sorting by title, as it does now AND sorting by name/filename.

• 1 month later...
Koleckai Silvestri

@@ebr is a developer and has posted a few times in this thread. I don't think this is a high priority at the moment though.

• 2 weeks later...

According to http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/9612-change-sort-order-to-not-ignore-prefix/?p=123777, it appears this can be done by simply editing the system.xml file and removing all entries under "<SortRemoveWords>".

Seems like a good compromise...don't need to edit the UI and people that like it sorted this way can simply edit the XML file once and not worry about having to manually edit metadata every time they add a new movie.

Guest topbanana

According to http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/9612-change-sort-order-to-not-ignore-prefix/?p=123777, it appears this can be done by simply editing the system.xml file and removing all entries under "<SortRemoveWords>".

Seems like a good compromise...don't need to edit the UI and people that like it sorted this way can simply edit the XML file once and not worry about having to manually edit metadata every time they add a new movie.

That's a good workaround to get the view changed.

I edited the file and it sorts them alphanumerically, matching the filesystem...

But its a bit "permanent".

I would like to have it sorted the way it is, the emby default, which is correct for movie titles.

AND

I would like to change the sort order so that it matches the filesystem, to make working with the actual files easy.

At the moment we have other sort orders for "Budget" and "Runtime", which i don't personally have any need in using, but i do understand that others might, so they're as valid as most on the current list.

We'd just like another sort order added to this list (don't care how it's named) so we can quickly change the sort order to match the filesystem, sort the filenames alphanumerically.

I do like the little UI change of adding the sort button, etc, to the mini toolbar at the top of the page. nice.

We'd just like another sort order added to this list (don't care how it's named) so we can quickly change the sort order to match the filesystem, sort the filenames alphanumerically.

I think this would be the best way to accomplish that:

The only thing I can think of that may make sense would be to allow the ability to sort by file name.  In that case, there would be no articles because file names would not be considered words or phrases.  However, even adding that to the already too long list of options may have questionable value.

• 1 month later...
Deathsquirrel

Any news on sorting by filename?

Generally in open source software development features get implemented because they are cool and the developers get excited about them or because of user demand.  The emby team looks at the number of 'likes' on a topic as a key measure of public interest.  This thread has 1 like.  That doesn't mean it won't happen but it's a lot less likely to happen than a feature that has dozens of likes on this forum.

That all said, I have no idea what the status of this FR is as I'm not on the dev team.  Just setting realistic expectations.  Barring a lot of user support I don't think this FR is super likely to see the light of day.

Guest topbanana

Or does anyone know which files i need to edit to enable this sort order?

Bit rusty at coding, but i'll have a go.

I'm very happy to edit/replace 'Sort By - Budget', as i'm never going to need that sort order unless i do some media studies course or something.

I can and have used Bash's excellent tip of commenting out the <SortRemoveWords> in the system.xml, that works as it should...

But i'd like to have the selectable sort order so i can switch from the nice Title order to one that matches the filesystem, i.e. all the actual movie files.

Edited by topbanana

• 1 year later...

It is a possibility for the future. Best thing to do is create a new feature request topic about it because this topic is about:

Additional articles (A, An, The)

Thanks !

• 7 years later...
Bazmax

Seems this problem still remains without attention after so many many years.

Emby has to realise that a great proportion of the world simply sorts by title and as such "The Use of Sorting.mkv" is sorted under T, not artificially under U. 

Certainly minor communities, perhaps in the USA, may have a preference to sort by omitting leading articles such as The An, A, El, La etc and Emby should be congratulated for providing that facility for them.

However to universally artificially sort removing leading articles The, An, A, El, La etc is either is a disservice or disincentive to a majority of users or possible users throughout the world.

Personally I remain with Emby simply because I like it and have already individually altered the sort name of thousands of files.   However, all of my family and friends use other applications soley because they are not prepared to individually alter the sort name of a mass of files and most consider me stupid to use so much effort by remaining with Emby.

I do wonder why Emby steadfastly ignores this impediment in their software when a simple addition within their code would make their product appealing to the mass of global users that do not use or understand the pecular sorting system where certain leading articles such as The are removed from titles.

As an aside the article The is the most used article in the English language with probably El and La holding a similar place in other languages.  Perhaps Emby is on an international mission to remove the importance of these articles.

12 minutes ago, Bazmax said:

Seems this problem still remains without attention after so many many years.

Emby has to realise that a great proportion of the world simply sorts by title and as such "The Use of Sorting.mkv" is sorted under T, not artificially under U. 

Certainly minor communities, perhaps in the USA, may have a preference to sort by omitting leading articles such as The An, A, El, La etc and Emby should be congratulated for providing that facility for them.

However to universally artificially sort removing leading articles The, An, A, El, La etc is either is a disservice or disincentive to a majority of users or possible users throughout the world.

Personally I remain with Emby simply because I like it and have already individually altered the sort name of thousands of files.   However, all of my family and friends use other applications soley because they are not prepared to individually alter the sort name of a mass of files and most consider me stupid to use so much effort by remaining with Emby.

I do wonder why Emby steadfastly ignores this impediment in their software when a simple addition within their code would make their product appealing to the mass of global users that do not use or understand the pecular sorting system where certain leading articles such as The are removed from titles.

As an aside the article The is the most used article in the English language with probably El and La holding a similar place in other languages.  Perhaps Emby is on an international mission to remove the importance of these articles.

Hi, yes you have a good point, and obviously we realize that having more options to control this would be a great thing to have.