Additional articles (A, An, The) sorting toggle.

Guest topbanana

Guest topbanana

Can we have an additional sorting option, under "Sort By:" and "Sort Order:" to toggle the ignoring of the articles (A, An, The).

Both sorting regimes are needed.

When my mates are browsing thru my collection to 'borrow' some movies, having to jump up and down to the 'The' section of the filenames is a PITA, so i'd toggle it to sort the articles normally making it match the file listing.

Guest topbanana

The default is to ignore, but you can edit that per item via the sort name feild

Sure.  But that's one movie at a time, and permanent.

I'd like to toggle the sorting, the same way as we do with Ascending/Descending

Both sorting regimes are needed.

Guest topbanana

Why are they both needed?

?

There are two styles of sorting titles.

Both are useful.  Both are valid.  Both are preferred by different people.

The file system doesn't do sorting in this way, so a sorted list of movies on emby doesn't match a file listing.

This is the whole point of having sorting options.

I'd just like one more to add to the existing ones.

Guest topbanana

But then which articles to sort by? You would then need options for that

I don't think you understand.

It's a simple toggle, just like ascending/descending.

Ignore Articles (A, An, The):

On

OFF

On is the emby default (as used extensively when referring to titles of books, movies, etc, etc, etc...)

Off is the pure alphanumeric order (matching file listings, etc.)

Edited by topbanana

Deathsquirrel

Is the number of people that want to see The Lord of the Rings filed under T instead of L really high enough to bother with a UI addition?  They can already set a sort title and modify the XML that turns that function on & off.  I don't imagine there's much demand but I suppose I could be wrong.

Could we fix this by handing the offenders' names over to some local librarian society so someone can come to their house and explain how to alphabetize titles? :)

Vidman

It would just be another option at the bottom of the existing sort options

55892aacb7c92_Untitled1.png

What would possibly be useful and achieve what you want would be to have sort name and title name sort fields instead of the name option in your screenshot

Guest topbanana

What would possibly be useful and achieve what you want would be to have sort name and title name sort fields instead of the name option in your screenshot

Sure, as long as it's clear what it does.

I'm not fussed on the wording. I'd just like the option.

Someone wanting the order sorted including the articles will probably be looking for at option that mentions "A, An, The" as they are the things that are out of order.

Guest topbanana

Could we fix this by handing the offenders' names over to some local librarian society so someone can come to their house and explain how to alphabetize titles? :)

I'm guessing the types of people that hoard movies/tv shows and employ emby to show it all off most definitely include quite a few clinically OCD people!  :lol:

Koleckai Silvestri

On the titles that I am OCD on, I just edit the sort name field. Probably 20 titles out of over 900. For instance Æon Flux usually sorts at the end of the list so it needs a sort field. 'A Walk in the Clouds" shouldn't be "Walk in the Clouds, A". Plus a few others. However I would expect to find "The Lord of the Rings" in the Ls instead of the Ts. At least according to how libraries and alphabetizing rules are.

Guest topbanana

On the titles that I am OCD on, I just edit the sort name field. Probably 20 titles out of over 900. For instance Æon Flux usually sorts at the end of the list so it needs a sort field. 'A Walk in the Clouds" shouldn't be "Walk in the Clouds, A". Plus a few others. However I would expect to find "The Lord of the Rings" in the Ls instead of the Ts. At least according to how libraries and alphabetizing rules are.

I think putting the article at the end of the title (e.g. Walk in the Clouds, A) was probably done back in the days of print, when an index list of titles needed to ignore the articles so as to remove confusion when looking them up (Is it 'Lord of the Rings' OR 'The Lord of the Rings'???).

With computers tho, they can sort any which way we want them to.  So emby does just this and sorts by 'Title'.

Edited by topbanana

Guest topbanana

Was thinking this thru in the shower today...  :lol:

I think you're right.

It should be as you said...

Something like:

View  Sort  Filter

Sort By:
Title
Name
Budget
IMDb Rating

As if it was at the bottom, like i initially thought, it'd be meaningless if it wasn't sorting by name... Budget say...  whereas 'Ascending/Descending' works for all.

So yeah, just another sort by option.

Koleckai Silvestri

It would have to be a toggle... Ignore "A, The, An, Etc..." default to Yes. Having Title and Name in the list is confusing. They are synonyms. Sure we might know the difference but mothers, fathers, wives and kids won't.

I suggested "sort name" and "title name"

Even more confusing :).  Say that to your grandmother and note how she looks at you...

Deathsquirrel

Even more confusing :).  Say that to your grandmother and note how she looks at you...

I really think users with this sort of need should spend some time in the metadata editor.  Get the posters, titles, and sort orders you want all in one place with no chance of confusing anyone but your own users who know 'A Life Less Ordinary' doesn't belong in the 'A's ;)

Guest topbanana

Something like this perhaps?:

View  Sort  Filter

Sort By:
Title (ignores A, An, The)
Name
Budget
IMDb Rating

Something like this perhaps?:

View  Sort  Filter

Sort By:
Title (ignores A, An, The)
Name
Budget
IMDb Rating

To 99% of people sorting by "title" would mean ignoring those articles. So, making the default sort by title not ignore them would be very strange.

Also, most of the situations where you don't want the "proper" sort on the title can be handled with the facilities in place (editing sort name) so I don't think this is a request that will prove to be an enhancement by most people (as evidenced by the discussion here).

The only thing I can think of that may make sense would be to allow the ability to sort by file name.  In that case, there would be no articles because file names would not be considered words or phrases.  However, even adding that to the already too long list of options may have questionable value.

paulsalter

Would love to see an option somewhere so it can sort on the full title (within the interface)

having something like 'The Hobbit' sorted under H makes no sense to me