SHow only "Unwatched" in "Because you like...."

diaz1510

diaz1510

Maybe there could be an option to show only unwatched media in the "Because you watched..." and "Because you liked..." sections of the Suggestions Tab?

Or is there already?  Anyway, I'm using the web client via Firefox on a Windows 7 Ultimate machine...

• Like 31
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

No option yet. Most people don't have massive libraries so that's why the default value grabs from everyehere

diaz1510

Gotcha...well maybe something to think about for the future. I'm sure the library size of users will increase over time. 

techywarrior

Even though I wouldn't consider my library size "massive" I think it could still be a useful feature.

I guess it comes down to having similar movies/shows show up that I may have recently seen or have nothing show up at all.

Perhaps the logic could be adjusted to favor similar movies/shows that haven't been marked watched in the last 30 days or something like that so it doesn't recommend stuff you recently watched.

Perhaps the logic could be adjusted to favor similar movies/shows that haven't been marked watched in the last 30 days or something like that so it doesn't recommend stuff you recently watched.

Originally, I was thinking "well, I would probably never use this option, because I want a reminder for a movie I haven't seen in a while" so this is a great idea.

I think if I were implementing it, the default behavior would be ordered by last watched date ascending, with nulls on top. That way unwatched comes first, then the oldest last watch date to the most recent. Unfortunately, I don't know how items are currently matched or if they are sorted by "most similar" already. I can see the logic getting really sketchy comparing watched perfect matches to unwatched 50% (or whatever the threshold is) matches.

I just looked, and I do see some recommendation rows with 1 or 2 items, including a recommendation from Jurassic Park (I assume) for Laura Dern for the only movie in my library with Laura Dern in it - the just watched Jurassic Park! Ignoring the fact my library probably needs more Laura Dern, I vaguely recall a "max number" setting somewhere, but maybe we need a min number also. Especially if users can apply filters like this, forget, and think something is not working.

• Like 2

diaz1510

Yeah, I would say my library is fairly moderate in size, but I do have quite a bit of media I haven't watched..if I'm honest probably more than 50%.  I just gather alot of stuff with the greatest intentions of watching but never get around to it, lol...so I have a pretty big backlog of unwatched media and for me personally, would find the feature a little more useful to show only unwatched....

Cerothen

I think that if not a toggle then a limit where it wouldn't allow more than say 40% watched media to be suggested. I often find that when I click the suggestions page it would only really be 2-3 things that I haven't yet seen.

swhitmore

No option yet. Most people don't have massive libraries so that's why the default value grabs from everyehere

If that's the reason for including both, the best solution would be to use unwatched and then switch to using watched in the case that there is not enough to populate the recommended list.

• Like 3

diaz1510

If that's the reason for including both, the best solution would be to use unwatched and then switch to using watched in the case that there is not enough to populate the recommended list.

That sounds like a good option...

• 1 month later...
diaz1510

Just wanted to revisit this and see if anyone's come up with a strategy to try this? Devs...this is still a feature i'd really be interested in...just throwin it back onto the table since it's been dead for a bit, lol.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I was linked here, here is my original post

"My users love the suggested series and movies in all the different clients. One thing them and I have been after for a real long time is to not show watched movies/series in these suggestions. We have already watched it so there is really no point to have these taking up room when there is plenty other things to pick from for suggestions that I'm sure are unwatched. Was hoping it could be a toggle in user preferences area similar to having the watched items appear in latest media toggle that is currently there so that way each user can set this how they want. Thank you."

On a side note the like/dislike doesn't really apply unless all clients have these features and I don't think they all have that.  I noticed that giving a favorite, also generates the because you liked rows, which is perfectly fine for my users and available in all clients. So at least giving a watched/unwatched preference towards suggestions would be amazing for my users, and my large library.

Perhaps there should be a poll on the forums for the developers on this sort of knowledge of their Emby user base those are the type of polls that I think would be deemed most useful.  Like how much media does your server contain, and people could weigh in with votes and change their votes as the year goes by... I think the users of this product have way more content then a developer ever will and thus is why users with large libraries seem to sometimes have odd requests, because the developer can't see what we see or understand why we are after that.

575ed6104e452_Untitled1.jpg

So I understand, by liking this, I'm going to get other movies from the franchises but I've seen all these so this row is completely useless for my users, now if I could hide watched content from suggestions, and see what other titles could possibly be suggested for users, that would be great..

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

@@BAS I could tie this into the "Hide Watched" preference in the blue neon app. I know you and many of your users use the app, and would appreciate this. In fact, I already have this working now for the next version. Enabling it will hide watched from both latest and suggested using filter=isUnplayed. I will have a new blue neon release tomorrow including this. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

@@BAS I could tie this into the "Hide Watched" preference in the blue neon app. I know you and many of your users use the app, and would appreciate this. In fact, I already have this working now for the next version. Enabling it will hide watched from both latest and suggested using filter=isUnplayed. I will have a new blue neon release tomorrow including this. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I would almost want these to be separate if you could in your app, because sometimes latest, i fall asleep to so I leave those watched latest visible in case. As for suggested though, yep I would love to hide them if watched always.

Not sure why there is no movement on this from a server side standpoint but thanks for doing it in one of the apps I use.

Edited by BAS

• 1 year later...
JoshuaAJones

It's been a couple of years.  Can this be revisited?

I've got so many check marks on the suggestions, it's getting ridiculous.

Because you watched... Deadpool2.... Deadpool, Logan, etc.

Obviously, I've watched Deadpool

It's even worse when you watch a Star Wars movie. :D

riothamus

@@daedalus, this could get lumped into a 'smart playlist' type of functionality (that's how Plex does it, and maybe Kodi to some extent).  I imagine when we get smart playlists, we would get this one at the same time since watch status would be a parameter for a smart playlist.

Just my 2 cents on that.

• Like 1

funwithmedia

@@daedalus, this could get lumped into a 'smart playlist' type of functionality (that's how Plex does it, and maybe Kodi to some extent).  I imagine when we get smart playlists, we would get this one at the same time since watch status would be a parameter for a smart playlist.

Just my 2 cents on that.

That's a good point. Also related is Smart Collections (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/58063-emby-server-option-to-auto-add-to-collections-based-on-pathattribute-matching-rules/), which will probably come around the same time as Smart Playlists (as both features will probably share a lot of same underlying code). The other thing that these types of features (Smart Playlists, Smart Collections) will probably enable is creating a playlist/collection to show you content you've watched, but not in a while (eg, show me items I watched over 2 years ago).

• 1 year later...

As smart playlists aren't around the corner is there any chance to have this feature? This is also happening in suggestions, I almost only have already watched movies in suggestions

daedalus

maybe as soon as this simple and useful feature request celebrates it's FIFTH BIRTHDAY  :blink: <_<

Edited by daedalus
  • Like 1

funwithmedia

As smart playlists aren't around the corner....

Just out of curiosity, was there another thread/post that gave some indication of timing on smart playlists? I ask only because I'm looking forward to Smart Playlists / Smart Collections. :)